News   May 03, 2024
 102     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 850     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 244     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

With the rise in cases, I wonder if the new B.1.1.529 variant has already made it here.

I think they do genomic analysis on a subset of the positive cases - we would have known if it is. I wouldn't be surprised though - even if we ban travel from SA now, it seems the strain has already been detected in the Europe and elsewhere.

They are calling this the nu variant - we don't have all that many Greek alphabets left! EDIT - it's apparently called Omicron now.

That line at the bottom is the most relevant thing to look at, not total case numbers.

Yes and no - remember the two week delay; and the experiences at other countries with high-ish vaccination rates. No need to freak, but we should remain on guard and take more precautions - it isn't quite back to normal yet.

AoD

Last edited:
With the rise in cases, I wonder if the new B.1.1.529 variant has already made it here.
Highly doubtful since delta is still making up anywhere between 97-100% of the cases as per genome sequencing.

We're at a point where I personally believe this can still be contained but we need to act immediately not wait

Here we go again. All across the world flights are being banned to Africa. Now Canada and the USA have to do it ASP. We can't take any chances.

Europe moves to halt flights from southern Africa over worrying COVID variant
Germany, Italy, and Britain have already restricted most travel from South Africa and neighboring nations, as EU calls on entire bloc to follow suit

Here we go again. All across the world flights are being banned to Africa. Now Canada and the USA have to do it ASP. We can't take any chances.

Europe moves to halt flights from southern Africa over worrying COVID variant
Germany, Italy, and Britain have already restricted most travel from South Africa and neighboring nations, as EU calls on entire bloc to follow suit

Fauci already said the US is gonna wait and see

Fauci already said the US is gonna wait and see

Both US and Canada just announced travel restrictions as well:

AoD

Both US and Canada just announced travel restrictions as well:

AoD
That's good. Happy to see the US turn around on it and Canada not drag their feet

Rightfully so.

Nobody should be subjevt to fear mongering and intimidation because they want to protect themselves and their families.

Freedom of speech is one thing but where kids are involved all bets are off.

Quite frankly I'd be more concerned with a pissed off father knocking out an anti-vaxxer for harrasing or scaring his kid(s).

I have a feeling it would only delay the spread slightly - given the gap between the presence of the cases and detection.

AoD

Federal government to follow up with Hong Kong on Omicron case with potential link to Canada

Canada’s chief public health officer says the federal government will follow up with its counterparts in Hong Kong over one of their confirmed cases of the new COVID-19 Omicron variant.

Speaking during a news conference on Friday, Dr. Theresa Tam said Canadian officials would reach out to Hong Kong authorities after reports that one of two confirmed cases of Omnicron was in a traveller who arrived from Canada.

Back