News   Mar 28, 2024
 522     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 337     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 347     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Why are there no plans for having Milton trains stop at Bloor station? Is it because that line already stops at Kipling station and anyone that wants to use subway can get off at Kipling?
Yes. The subway takes only marginally longer than the GO train between Kipling and Dundas West. The subway is slower but also more direct. So with such a minor benefit it wouldn't be worth the considerable cost of widening the corridor to fit a third island platform, nor would it be worth the capacity/reliability impacts of an at-grade manoeuvre to the existing platforms.

Why are there no plans for having Milton trains stop at Bloor station? Is it because that line already stops at Kipling station and anyone that wants to use subway can get off at Kipling?

For a long time, GO has felt that only a single subway connection on each line was sufficient. And with the connection at Kipling, another one at Bloor wasn't required in their mind.

Now, however, there simply isn't enough room to allow for platforms on the Milton Line.

Dan

Apparently 11 people got off at Stratford last night so it seems to be a slight improvement in ridership.
To be honest I can see Stratford getting more use out of it than London. For them having significantly another means of accessing Kitchener, Guelph and beyond is undeniably a net positive. Plus maybe if they need to I wonder if they could maybe fit in a new yard in Stratford

For a long time, GO has felt that only a single subway connection on each line was sufficient. And with the connection at Kipling, another one at Bloor wasn't required in their mind.

Now, however, there simply isn't enough room to allow for platforms on the Milton Line.

Dan
Can Milton line trains potentially switch tracks to share platforms with the Kitchener line at Bloor?

Yes but it would be a bad idea.
Ominous.
You know your trains, so I'll take your word for it. The GO network sucks as it is though. Why must every logical change like a bit of interlining be so hard?
Sorry, just got back from a trip to Europe, so it's going to be hard for me to accept the glacial pace of change here until my memories, of how easy it was to get around, fade away.

Ominous.
You know your trains, so I'll take your word for it. The GO network sucks as it is though. Why must every logical change like a bit of interlining be so hard?
Sorry, just got back from a trip to Europe, so it's going to be hard for me to accept the glacial pace of change here until my memories, of how easy it was to get around, fade away.
Given that Milton-Union will remain a shared corridor with very constrained frequencies, whereas Bramalea-Union is a dedicated corridor where GO can add trains until it clogs up, it would be a bad idea to have Union-Bloor passengers take capacity from passengers who depend on the limited GO services to Milton. I would even assume that GO would ban travel between Union and Kipling (at least for the busiest trains), if there was a way for them to control who boards their trains...

Given that Milton-Union will remain a shared corridor with very constrained frequencies, whereas Bramalea-Union is a dedicated corridor where GO can add trains until it clogs up, it would be a bad idea to have Union-Bloor passengers take capacity from passengers who depend on the limited GO services to Milton. I would even assume that GO would ban travel between Union and Kipling (at least for the busiest trains), if there was a way for them to control who boards their trains...
I would simply ban boarding at a Milton Bloor platform (unless one day capacity isn’t an issue).

I would simply ban boarding at a Milton Bloor platform (unless one day capacity isn’t an issue).
Unfortunately, inbound trains are not the problem here (if the train is full, no Bloor folks can board anyways and they'll prefer less full Bramalea-Union trains anyways): it's when Milton passengers struggle to get into their train at Union because of Bloor passengers clogging up the train...

Unfortunately, inbound trains are not the problem here (if the train is full, no Bloor folks can board anyways and they'll prefer less full Bramalea-Union trains anyways): it's when Milton passengers struggle to get into their train at Union because of Bloor passengers clogging up the train...
This shouldn't be a problem though once they go to full RER.

Is there any plan to get to 4tph on Milton? I thought that such plans were contingent to the Missing Link...

There is a past, never implemented plan to expand capacity in that corridor. I'm not sure what level of frequency that plan would have delivered.

There has been much hinting and teasing that Mx and CP have some sort of understanding on allowing additional service in that corridor, presumably with at least some infrastructure investment.
But what investment and the extent of any improvements have not been publicly disclosed.

Certainly, 4-tracking the corridor, is feasible, if expensive, and would, almost certainly allow 4ph service or something close.

But whether anything so grandiose is in the offing is again unknown.

I would expect something to be announced ahead of the next provincial election; and follow-on work to be a campaign promise.

The Federal gov't has committed some $$ (undetermined amount and timeline) to expanding capacity for the Milton Corridor.

Back