Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Honestly ridership in York Region is going to be very low except for the commuter rush at Richmond Hill Centre. Most of the ridership would be fed in from buses or driven to the parking lot. I am pretty sure they could have built an express subway between Steeles and Highway 7 and less people would be inconvenienced than the John Tory version of the Express Scarborough subway.

The subway extension isn't designed to be part of the York Region transit network but instead as an convivence for York Region to get to Toronto. The TYSSE fare structure is designed for exactly that. Since Toronto taxpayers are paying up for the subway in York Region, I don't expect anything to change unless the subsidizer changes. If someone is traveling from Clark Station to Newmarket, they won't be pleased to have to pay for both TTC and YRT fares unlike VIVA today. This isn't making it better unless Queen's Park steps in.
You're right about that, and the fare structure is incredibly unfair to Toronto's taxpayers. But you could think about development potential, which is pretty good along Yonge. A lot of planning work has gone into what development and the streetscape would look like post-subway, but feel free to tell me if I'm missing something.

You're right about that, and the fare structure is incredibly unfair to Toronto's taxpayers. But you could think about development potential, which is pretty good along Yonge. A lot of planning work has gone into what development and the streetscape would look like post-subway, but feel free to tell me if I'm missing something.
I feel like it'll end up like Sheppard. A lot of development went up but the subway ridership hasn't even raise 1% in 2 decades. I really hope that will not turn out to be the case. At least there's a lot more potential on Yonge than the TYSSE.

I feel like it'll end up like Sheppard. A lot of development went up but the subway ridership hasn't even raise 1% in 2 decades. I really hope that will not turn out to be the case. At least there's a lot more potential on Yonge than the TYSSE.
Except the Viva bus has shown how much demand there will be when it is replaced with the line 1 extension. I think with Richmond Hill's town centre plans Ontario line being extended passed Eglinton will probably have to be accelerated.

The Viva Blue bus has shown that there are a lot of riders on this stretch. Of course, COVID could change all of that. But in general, Yonge acts as one of the main arteries for transit users that live in York Region. We can already see that there are many developments popping up on Yonge St, but unfortunately most of it is north of Richmond Hill Centre (the terminus). Basically, the Viva Yonge Rapidway helped to spur development all along the street, so why wouldn't the same happen south of Richmond Hill Centre when the subway is built?

... Technically, this is a forum about the Ontario Line. Let's not get too carried away 😂

.. I dont get why Moss Park cant be constructed right under Queen St like Queen station ... it would solve a lot of issues.

.. I dont get why Moss Park cant be constructed right under Queen St like Queen station ... it would solve a lot of issues.
The station boxes are generally cut-and-cover. By placing the station box under Moss Park itself, the roadway and streetcar tracks will be left untouched. However, that means the grass and trees would have to be removed and later replaced (oh the horror!).

Last edited:
So I saw the diagram of Queen station and it's really confusing.

Whats with the giant void of nothing in the middle?

On the west side do you need to leave the fare paid zone?

Didn't metrolinx say that they would use the old queen streetcar station to make the transfer easier, what changed?

The diagram metrolinx provided is trash, if anyone can help me understand it, it would be much appreciated.
Screenshot_20211010-203239_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Last edited:

Structural dirt.

Presumably the line needs to be that deep to get under PATH tunnels and utilities. At that point, you might as well tunnel the new station well below the existing station to minimize new structural elements required to support it.

So I saw the diagram of Queen station and it's really confusing.

On the west side do you need to leave the fare paid zone?

Didn't metrolinx say that they would use the old queen streetcar station to make the transfer easier, what changed?

The diagram metrolinx provided is trash, if anyone can help me understand it, it would be much appreciated.View attachment 355020
Here is my interpretation of the diagram:

To transfer from Ontario to Yonge Line southbound to Union:
1. Take to escalators or stairs on the west side up 1 floor.
2. Walk past the elevator and take the escalators up 1 more floor.
3. Turn around and take another escalator up 1 more floor.
4. Turn around again and take the escalator behind up 1 more floor.
5. Turn around again for the last time and walk around 70 m to Line 1 southbound platform.

It is a lot of escalators and turns. Alternatively, take the elevator directly up to the Yonge Line.

Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 9.48.37 PM copy.png

Here is my interpretation of the diagram:

To transfer from Ontario to Yonge Line southbound to Union:
1. Take to escalators or stairs on the west side up 1 floor.
2. Walk past the elevator and take the escalators up 1 more floor.
3. Turn around and take another escalator up 1 more floor.
4. Turn around again and take the escalator behind up 1 more floor.
5. Turn around again for the last time and walk around 70 m to Line 1 southbound platform.

It is a lot of escalators and turns. Alternatively, take the elevator directly up to the Yonge Line.

View attachment 355030
My guess is that the escalators are alligned to minimize conflicts with Line 1 crowds so they allign with and prioritize access to the exits to the street
(to minimize common corridors with Line 1 crowds).
The level below the Line 1 Queen platforms could be a transfer level to access Line 1 platforms without conflicting with exitting Line 1 crowds.
I suppose the void area is just a consequence of the depth of the tunnel required to pass below other subsurface structures under Queen St. (PATH passages and utilities). The void area seems to be centred on Yonge St., maybe to minimize construction work near/below the intersection.

Xhh6osb.png

Last edited:
My guess is that the escalators are alligned to minimize conflicts with Line 1 crowds so they allign with and prioritize access to the exits to the street
The level below the Line 1 Queen platforms could be a transfer level to access Line 1 platforms without conflicting with exitting Line 1 crowds.
I suppose the void area is just a consequence of the depth of the tunnel required to pass below other subsurface structures under Queen St. (PATH passages and utilities). The void area seems to be centred on Yonge St., maybe to minimize construction work near/below the intersection.

Xhh6osb.png
Oh okay, that makes more sense, thanks.👍

Hoping Osgood will have a more direct layout.

Xhh6osb.png
That may be a station where the elevator is actually a part of the regular fastest way in/out of the Ontario line level, so long as it is waiting there at the level you want to transfer off from and you don't have to recall it from far away.

Last edited:

Back