News   Mar 28, 2024
 269     0 

Toronto Bike Share

I noticed some new stations today:

Yonge Street St / Woodlawn Ave
York University (Glendon Campus)
1529 Dundas Street West
909 Yonge Street

Also, there's 2 new stations at Thomson Memorial Park for some reason.

Last edited:
I noticed some new stations today:

Yonge Street St / Woodlawn Ave
York University (Glendon Campus)
1529 Dundas Street West
909 Yonge Street

Also, there's 2 new stations at Thomson Memorial Park for some reason.

Looking at the data files, there are now 611 active stations. That's 2 more than the previous peak, and 4 more than the last time I checked.

The others must be re-los I assume.

The new spots all look logical, except for Thomson Memorial Park because it's so isolated.

I could see prioritizing the Gatineau Trail (though I'd pick other spots first in Scarborough); but I'd think a minimum of 4 evenly spaced stations, rather than 2 side-by-side in isolation.

Perhaps, to be positive, more are coming.

Last edited:
I have not seen any e-bikes for weeks now. Since last winter I had not seen one available (and charged) at a dock but I used to to see Uber Eats folk etc using them - not recently. Though there are two showing on the online map as I write, I think they may all have been 'retired' or be heading that way. Too bad, but unless they are available only with restrictions (no 'renewals?) they will always be too attractive to people who use them for work.

I have not seen any e-bikes for weeks now. Since last winter I had not seen one available (and charged) at a dock but I used to to see Uber Eats folk etc using them - not recently. Though there are two showing on the online map as I write, I think they may all have been 'retired' or be heading that way. Too bad, but unless they are available only with restrictions (no 'renewals?) they will always be too attractive to people who use them for work.

Montreal Bixi had lots of e-bikes, but they were more expensive than the standard bikes, and had a per-minute charge, rather than a flat 30-minute fee. They were easily found, and none that I saw during my visit last month were being used by food couriers.

In Toronto, the couriers monopolized the e-bikes.

Montreal Bixi had lots of e-bikes, but they were more expensive than the standard bikes, and had a per-minute charge, rather than a flat 30-minute fee. They were easily found, and none that I saw during my visit last month were being used by food couriers.

In Toronto, the couriers monopolized the e-bikes.
I was there recently too but the cost of e-bikes seemed excessive to me. (Membership plus 10 cents a minute). I too saw lots in racks! I suggest both cities need to look at the pricing and conditions to try to balance tyhings better.

A new station I noticed that wasn't talked about is a new station. It's at The Forks near the Lower Don and Taylor Creek. It provides a station for users heading north or east to stop or for Flemingdon users to access? I've contacted Bike Share if there are more stations planned in the Flemingdon and Thorncliffe area. Seems like it would be perfect with the high density and current bike infrastructure.

A new station I noticed that wasn't talked about is a new station. It's at The Forks near the Lower Don and Taylor Creek. It provides a station for users heading north or east to stop or for Flemingdon users to access? I've contacted Bike Share if there are more stations planned in the Flemingdon and Thorncliffe area. Seems like it would be perfect with the high density and current bike infrastructure.

I thought that one might be new as well; but I as I didn't have a saved image from earlier this year of the map...........

I wasn't 100% sure.

When introducing Bikeshare into the valley system, they really need to have logical pairs, and triplets etc.) so the system has places you can get to/from, ideally in under 30m.

Thorncliffe/Flemingdon is a logical spot for Bikeshare.

To me, the initial focus would be on linking people to the area supermarkets/Costco; along with the Crosstown Station when it opens.
Thereafter, you want to see connection points to the retail districts to the south of the Millwood Bridge.
There is one, adjacent to the Pape retail strip, though it could use another; but Donlands/O'Connor needs one.
I'd also consider the Loblaws at Redway, and the Longos and Sobeys along Laird as logical connections.

I just noticed that they have added a station about half-way down (up?) the Leslie Street Spit - at the nature info centre building. Good idea as it would make using a bike to go to the Lighthouse feasible within the 30 minute time limit.

I just noticed that they have added a station about half-way down (up?) the Leslie Street Spit - at the nature info centre building. Good idea as it would make using a bike to go to the Lighthouse feasible within the 30 minute time limit.
But can one return within a 30 minute window?

I have borrowed a bike from the old location in the parking lot and timed myself. At about the half way mark (timewise) I wasn't even at the floating bridge and had to turn back.

I was there recently too but the cost of e-bikes seemed excessive to me. (Membership plus 10 cents a minute). I too saw lots in racks! I suggest both cities need to look at the pricing and conditions to try to balance tyhings better.
I wonder how feasible it would be to upgrade all of the bikes to e-bikes.

I rode one for the first time last month, and was amazed at how physically effortless it made cycling. It certainly seems like a thing that would get a lot of people hooked on cycling.

I have no idea how much these things cost to build or maintain, so excuse me if this turns out to be a bit of a ridiculous suggestion.

10 cents a minute isn't too bad, a typical 15 minute ride would cost $1.50. People are just cheap.

Electric bike shares are much more expensive because you not only need to buy the bikes, which are generally ~3x as expensive as a regular bike, you need to set up the charging infrastructure.

Back