Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Maybe missing it, but looks like the new road on the north side of the station will not be built here now. It was going to be tight in the first place without a platform on the north side of the new track.

That bridge over the corridor better be ramp the allow the accessibility community to use it. Looks like 2 elevators to/from the platform in place of the current one found in TTC stations as well at Some GO Stations. 2 is a must per platform with more for busy stations.

Maybe missing it, but looks like the new road on the north side of the station will not be built here now. It was going to be tight in the first place without a platform on the north side of the new track.

That bridge over the corridor better be ramp the allow the accessibility community to use it. Looks like 2 elevators to/from the platform in place of the current one found in TTC stations as well at Some GO Stations. 2 is a must per platform with more for busy stations.
in the presentation today at the Q and A, it was said the new Metrolinx standard is 2 elevators / "accessible path ways" throughout the stations. So it was said the new exhibition station will have a total of 14 elevators. 2 for each platform GO, 2 for the Ontario line and 2 on each entrance north and south.

in the presentation Q and A Metrolinx stated that extensions are being considered during the design but nothing concrete is being worked on now. further planning will being at the earliest once the Ontario line is substantially complete, and funding becomes available. However the general idea at Metrolinx is that the Ontario line ultimate northeast terminus is Don Mill and Sheppard, and that the western extension will go through Roncesvalles and link up with line 2. However there was no specific location for the interchange with line 2 was given. seems Metrolinx thinks the Ontario line loop is dumb, which i think most people agree.

further planning will being at the earliest once the Ontario line is substantially complete,
IMO planning for extensions should begin once first phase design is substantially complete. I don’t see any particular reason to wait until first phase construction is complete. Ideally, construction on phase 2 would commence concurrently with phase 1.

the extension to Sheppard is technically trivial and not particularly expensive, so that could likely be running within years of phase one.

However the general idea at Metrolinx is that the Ontario line ultimate northeast terminus is Don Mill and Sheppard, and that the western extension will go through Roncesvalles and link up with line 2
Really hope this would head north on Jane

Article on BlogTO about the case for a distillery stop. I have to say, it does sound like it would make sense. It would be so good to have it easily accessible to tourists on the line.

I think the Ontario Line should try to find a good midpoint between the Kitchener Line and the Hurontario LRT to create a new north-south path that doesn't compete or overlap with others.

OntarioLineLoop.png
OntarioLineWest.png

The day this line is extended westward, I can already see this going the way of the SRT in terms of the debate on where it should be extended to.

So far i've heard debates on: Jane, Keele, Dundas West/Roncesvalles, Humber Bay, Queensway, Pearson Airport. Am i missing any others?

The day this line is extended westward, I can already see this going the way of the SRT in terms of the debate on where it should be extended to.

So far i've heard debates on: Jane, Keele, Dundas West/Roncesvalles, Humber Bay, Queensway, Pearson Airport. Am i missing any others?
They were looking to upgrade the streetcar line to light rail along the waterfront west. Then Rob Ford and his "subway, subway, subway" came along and put it on "reset".

1920px-TTCWaterfrontWestMap.svg.png

From link.

The Waterfront Transit Reset study resulted in a number of recommendations to improve streetcar service along the lakeshore between Long Branch and Union station. Most of the recommendations could be implemented independently. The recommendations from Long Branch to Bay Street included:[1]

• Between Long Branch and Park Lawn, City and TTC staff proposed enhancements such as streetcar signal priority, improved TTC–GO connections at Long Branch, streetcar boarding platforms, etc. A dedicated streetcar right of way along this section was not considered as the projected ridership would not be high enough by 2041 (1,100 people in the peak hour).
  • In the Park Lawn area, City and TTC staff proposed a new streetcar and bus loop to be built east of Park Lawn Road, north of Lake Shore Boulevard. It would allow more frequent service west to as Park Lawn to serve existing and future developments in the area.
  • Between Park Lawn Road and Humber, the City and TTC would design a dedicated streetcar right of way to eliminate running streetcars in mixed traffic. This was considered a high-priority project.
  • Between Humber and Exhibition Place, the City, the TTC and Metrolinx would plan a new "Humber Bay Link streetcar line", to be built along Lake Shore Boulevard, branching off The Queensway at Colborne Lodge Drive and running to Exhibition Place. The creation of this enhancement would depend on increases in ridership to justify the construction costs. Such a line would increase capacity between south Etobicoke and Swansea to downtown, improve service reliability and provide relief to the existing streetcar routes on Queen Street and King Street. The alternative alignment from the King/Queen/Roncesvalles intersection via the railway and Gardiner Expressway to Exhibition Place was considered but was determined to be technically impractical.
  • At Exhibition Place, the TTC would seek funding to design and construct a streetcar connection between Dufferin Gate Loop and Exhibition Loop. The immediate use of this connection would be to link tracks on King Street to those on Queens Quay via Exhibition Place. Later, it would be used by the Humber Bay Link streetcar line. The TTC said this is a "high priority" project and there were benefits even without the Humber Bay Link; however, the report did not describe the benefits.
  • From Exhibition to Bay, City and TTC staff proposed enhancements such as improved transit signal priority, and improved signage and signals to better delineate the streetcar right of way. This would improve the speed and safety of streetcar service.
  • At the Bathurst/Lake Shore/Fleet intersection, the City and the TTC would plan changes affecting streetcar track alignment and road traffic patterns. Changes would include moving streetcar tracks on Bathurst Street to the west side of the road to reduce delays caused by automobile traffic.
  • At Union station, the streetcar loop would be modified to increase capacity.

Since they will be enlarging the Union Station streetcar loop for the Waterfront LRT East , they want to make sure there is room for the Waterfront LRT West as well. Don't forget that with a future Park Lawn GO Station, the GO Trains will be supplied an EXPRESS service along the waterfront, in addition to the GO/UPX trains in the other directions. The streetcars/light rail would be supplying LOCAL service, if they actually improve it the benefits, and not sabotage it.

210621_slide19_unionloop.jpg

From link.

I think the Ontario Line should try to find a good midpoint between the Kitchener Line and the Hurontario LRT to create a new north-south path that doesn't compete or overlap with others.

View attachment 347776View attachment 347777

Would love to see a stop at Queen and Jameson in Parkdale. Lots of access to streetcars in the area, but it would great for that neighbourhood to have a faster way to get downtown.
Then maybe a stop in Roncesvalles on the way up to Dundas West to connect to Line 2 and UPX makes sense. Beyond that, maybe along Dundas through the Junction towards Jane to connect with the once-promised Jane LRT??

Personally I like the Queensway option as it would serve south Etobicoke better.

View attachment 347776View attachment 347777
I don’t think south Etobicoke would generate all that much ridership. This route largely duplicates travel patterns already served by Line 2.

Instead I’d look at installing a LRT line to connect Exhibition OL station to south Etobicoke. It could function as an extension of the 511/510 Lines that current terminate at Exhibition, ideally utilizing wider stop spacing to reduce travel times.

I’d imagine this would be fairly inexpensive too, as much of the necessary infrastructure already exists.

Edit: Whoops… I’ve re-invented the Waterfront West LRT 😅. With the OL coming, the business case for this LRT becomes all the more compelling. The City really should expedite planning for this route, such that construction can be coordinate with the OL and RER

Last edited:

Back