News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 866     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

This is the kinda events that causes TTC to tell their operators to slow down.

Oh yeah, lets spend billions on freak accident prevention.

Human life is precious, but seriously, we can't go around trying to deathproof everything.
The point isn't deathpoofing but improve reliability. Same goes for PSDs on subway platforms. It's not all for suicide measures but to prevent litter cause track fire and allow trains to enter stations at a faster speed when they're are jammed packed.

As for Spadina streetcar deaths, there's a list:
https://globalnews.ca/news/7831110/spadina-avenue-nassau-street-collision/ (almost killed at the scene, not sure if she died afterwards)

Last edited:
Oh yeah, lets spend billions on freak accident prevention.

Human life is precious, but seriously, we can't go around trying to deathproof everything.

That was my point.

First, a fence or signage is not a billion dollars. Second, although it is nice to say we can't prevent all people from doing crazy things, that people need to be accountable for their own actions, or any other of things to say "hey it's obvious... isn't that enough" the problem is that we all pay when something goes wrong. This isn't like people who ask to put up handrails in the middle of the wilderness where "its nature" and if someone falls down a cliff the repercussions are felt only by those close to the individual and first responders, this is city infrastructure driven by a city employee and the citizens are going to see poor service every time there is an incident. I bristle at the thought of people that try to make the wilderness safe.... but this is the city. All we need is a few people to get hit and say they thought they were on a safe manicured grass lawn after crossing the lanes of traffic, and then grass disappears as an option. If studies have shown this works... I'm all for leaving it as it is because it looks much nicer than it would even with an aesthetically pleasing fence, but it will need to be something monitored closely and responded to quickly if people are crossing midblock all the time.

Repaving and lane marking installation east of Don Mills to Wynford has just started. This also includes the shitty painted bike lanes too!

IMG_20210816_172917461.jpg

IMG_20210816_173005687.jpg

IMG_20210816_173045262.jpg

Not even buffered or protected under the DVP. Where it could desperately use protection in the dark.
IMG_20210816_173135820.jpg

Oh boy, can't wait for a right hook. Why didn't they just make the raised bike lanes parallel with the sidewalk? Eglinton has the largest freaking right of ways in the city.
IMG_20210816_173213957.jpg

Remember, these are actually the better, "buffered" bike lanes. Buffered shitty bike lane. Can't imagine how narrow the bike lane will be east of Victoria Park.

I'm still angry that Metrolinx had 11 years to refine the design on the bike lanes, yet lazily painted these lanes. This was an amazing opportunity to make Eglinton a perfect and safe bikable crosstown route like bloor, but is now unsafe and disjointed.

Seems like no one wants to pay to rebuild the overpass to accommodate a better bike lane. Alternative they can just screw traffic, narrow the roadway to one lane each direction and let everyone jam on the ramps. Probably not a good idea either.

Personally I believe the only high quality bike lanes are the ones that's grade separated from highway traffic ramps. Something no one is interested in investing in.

Repaving and lane marking installation east of Don Mills to Wynford has just started. This also includes the shitty painted bike lanes too!

View attachment 341966

View attachment 341967
View attachment 341969
Not even buffered or protected under the DVP. Where it could desperately use protection in the dark.
View attachment 341970
Oh boy, can't wait for a right hook. Why didn't they just make the raised bike lanes parallel with the sidewalk? Eglinton has the largest freaking right of ways in the city.
View attachment 341971
Remember, these are actually the better, "buffered" bike lanes. Buffered shitty bike lane. Can't imagine how narrow the bike lane will be east of Victoria Park.

I'm still angry that Metrolinx had 11 years to refine the design on the bike lanes, yet lazily painted these lanes. This was an amazing opportunity to make Eglinton a perfect and safe bikable crosstown route like bloor, but is now unsafe and disjointed.
Dude, it's 2021. I cannot believe we are still building bike infrastructure like this.

Even as a regular car driver I much prefer driving on streets with physically separated bike lanes. It keeps the cars where the cars should be, the cyclists where they should be, and I can drive without ever worrying about a cyclist accidentally coming in my lane or vice versa. We gotta do better than this.

^Being generous, It did look like the roof is still wide open to the elements, so a certain amount of rainwater probably got in during some of the recent storms.

However, sure looked like there was seepage down the walls at track level. A bit troubling.

Dust abatement?

- Paul

I believe these lanes were specced back in 2012 or 2013 - bike lane design standards were way worse back then.

The Finch LRT has far better specced bike lanes, including a tunnel around the 400 interchange, as it was tendered later and could have more modern design standards applied.

You see the same thing with the Viva BRT projects - the initial lanes on Highway 7 in Markham haver fairly poor painted lanes but the more recent portions like in Thornhill have curb separated cycle tracks.

What's the speed limit for motorists along Eglinton Avenue? 50 km/h? 60 km/h? The traffic lanes look like they are DESIGNED for speeders doing 100+ km/h.
unless you put roundabouts and speed bumps every 200m every straight road has people speeding very fast in the dead of night...

Back