Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

The press release from March indicated that Ingka Centres purchased "12,270 sq. m (132,070 sq. ft) of gross leasable area across 3-floors. Ingka Centres will redevelop the property into a new destination, with the IKEA Toronto Downtown Store set to span 6,148 sq. m (66,175 sq ft) of the ground and second floor".

I guess that means that Ingka also now owns the 3rd floor where Marshalls is currently located? Could they be waiting for the lease with TJX to expire and then have Ikea/Ingka take over the 3rd floor as well? Or possibly, they could offer an incentive for Marshalls to leave early, just like what happened with Reds/Scaddabush/Duke's on the ground floor.

Also, who owns the 4th floor of the podium, where the Hard Candy / Crunch / No Name gym was operating?
I think that’s where the condo gym is now. Even when Hard Candy was there, the members shared the gym with Aura residents. I’m guessing the condo corp (or corps, there are 2 in Aura) own the gym.

Taken July 31:

PXL_20210801_032025426-01.jpeg

As per retail insider, construction on the new IKEA and related works is now under way.

Link here: https://retail-insider.com/bulletin/2021/08/construction-begins-for-new-downtown-toronto-ikea-store/

From said article, a look at the new hoarding.

View attachment 341720
IKEA Construction - The Aura at College Park . Photo: Dustin Fuhs

I truly hope the new owner get rid of that tacky video display and clean the facade a bit. The faux limestone looks anything but limestone like - except for the way it stains.

AoD

Are there any updates on the construction of the upcoming IKEA location? The website is still saying it will open in "early 2022".

Ikea opens first city centre shopping mall in west London
On Thursday, the Swedish furniture giant’s £170m experiment on the west London shopping mall will be tested with the opening of Livat, its first city centre shopping mall globally and the first to be refurbished rather than built from scratch. The former Kings Mall is now fully let, with new tenants including German discount supermarket Lidl, a Library of Things (a social enterprise) and Sook, the rent-by-the hour retail or events space, alongside an Ikea’s outlet ... only high street store in the UK ...quarter the size of a typical Ikea.
The mall, which Ikea spent £170m on buying and redeveloping, will include a small market hall for local food pop-ups alongside Ikea’s own Swedish Deli and two further cafes offering meatballs, open sandwiches and coffees.
Andersen said Ikea was “actively searching” for more urban sites to redevelop in cities in the UK and across Europe and North America. The group is meanwhile redeveloping Toronto’s Aura Podium which formerly housed a branch of Bed, Bath & Beyond and some restaurants.

Do anyone know the entrance to IKEA, will it connect to subway directly or have to go through the basement level (stores)?

Do anyone know the entrance to IKEA, will it connect to subway directly or have to go through the basement level (stores)?

There is no direct connection to College Station contemplated at this time.

So you would have to use the basement connection to College Park if you wanted to get there without going outside.

There will be a somewhat closer connection to the station when the new second exit opens, but that is still within College Park, just further south.

1645747259076.png

From: https://ttc-cdn.azureedge.net/-/med...bb3c84a&hash=EA7BF9715ED475A9CA569DF3399CA3D3

Thanks a lot. Very informative. Therefore IKEA will need to go through the basement to subway. It will be a good news for the Aura basement store owner, the basement has been so dead and feel like in a 3rd world country market with many small stores,

Thanks a lot. Very informative.

You're welcome.

Therefore IKEA will need to go through the basement to subway.

IF they want to get there without going outside, yes.

It will be a good news for the Aura basement store owner, the basement has been so dead and feel like in a 3rd world country market with many small stores,

Maybe; but I'm inclined to think it won't make a huge difference.

Unfortunately.

The underground connection is very awkward, most people never use it, in part, for that reason.

If Ikea isn't on the basement level, and my understanding is that it won't be, I'm not sure I see people exiting at grade-level and then going downstairs in Aura, order to access the subway.

It's a nice thought, a a connection may be plausible in the future.

Though, when you look at where the station box ends............it's a bit of a reach.

Back