Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Fair enough ... but ditto.

On the other hand, why is the Ontario government even worrying about densification near the station where it's going to happen naturally? There's so many suburban locations where nothing is happening. And look at Kennedy.
The hope is that building these at the same time would help subsidize the construction. The effectiveness of that remains to be seen. There is a lot of precedent for this in Asia with great sucess. But we will see if the model can be replicated well in Toronto's context. (ex: in Honk Kong some malls and shops are placed within fare-paid-zones, the build rentals for long term income instead of condos, etc)

Yikes - extradition, simply to own property to generate income? I can see why property owners are upset. I didn't expect a right-wing government to start nationalizing things!
It's the right-wing government can do it with the least resistance. If the Liberals had been doing this, they would be called communists.

Yikes - expropriation, simply to own property to generate income? I can see why property owners are upset. I didn't expect a right-wing government to start nationalizing things!
Normally the only lands used for profit are the ones needed for consuction. But some of the land owners are accusing Metrolinx of taking more land than need. That remains to be seen.

I think the point was that it shouldn't be a battle. CF has an extremely strong interest in that station and line getting built; they've got an $8B bet relying on it.

When your biggest cheerleaders (who might even build pieces as a gift) say you suck at communications and planning, perhaps it's worth looking into.
This is one of those things that’ll impact these projects in hard to measure, but still very material ways. For example, the cohesiveness between the transit infrastructure and the rest of the development could suffer.

This is a very regrettable state of affairs overall.

Reactions: rbt
At the very end of today's Council meeting, Councillor Wong-Tam mentioned an update about the First Parliament Site and the Ontario Line in relation to her two motions (MM35.30 and MM35.31). One of the motions was for staff report and the earliest it can be available is October 2021. Both motions were adopted by Council. She commented that the Building Transit Faster Act allows the Province to take land from municipalities with zero compensation. Apparently the Province already has the keys forthe First Parliament Site. According to the Councillor, apparently the Province already has the keys for the First Parliament Site.

Time marked link:

At the very end of today's Council meeting, Councillor Wong-Tam mentioned an update about the First Parliament Site and the Ontario Line in relation to her two motions (MM35.30 and MM35.31). One of the motions was for staff report and the earliest it can be available is October 2021. Both motions were adopted by Council. She commented that the Building Transit Faster Act allows the Province to take land from municipalities with zero compensation. Apparently the Province already has the keys forthe First Parliament Site. According to the Councillor, apparently the Province already has the keys for the First Parliament Site.

Time marked link:
None of this is necessary for building transit. MX’s powers must be curtailed once this government is gone.

None of this is necessary for building transit. MX’s powers must be curtailed once this government is gone.
Metrolinx has become one of the worst things in this province. A completely unaccountable agency that seems more concerned with enabling corruption than with doing it's actual job of building transit.

Time marked link:
Think about it this way. Some small town in Ontario can spend a pretty significant chunk of their money building (lets say tens of millions of dollars) some kind of facility, and Metrolinx can unilaterally size it, with zero legal compensation. MX can then turn around and use this property to generate revenue for themselves or private interests.

I'm not going to mince words. This is theft. It's straight up theft. It might be legal theft, but it's theft nevertheless.

(And I know this exact situation is unlikely, but the government should not be enabling MX to do this in the first place).

MX's powers needs to be severely curtailed. I'm typically as YIMBY as they come, but this has gone too far. I feel bad for any families, businesses or communities that have to deal with this agency. I wouldn't ever want anything to do with them.

Metrolinx is going to burn so many bridges that getting buy-in on new transit infrastructure, especially in more suburban and rural areas of the province, is going to be increasingly difficult. I really cannot fault anyone opposing this infrastructure in their community on the basis of MX's behaviour.

Just on a tangent, I've seen closeup how poorly MX has treated the businesses that have been disrupted by the Crosstown construction. They've been unwilling to do anything but the bare minimum to mitigate the construction impact. I feel so bad for the business owners dealing with these people.

Last edited:
Some renderings of the East Harbour GO-OL station in this article.

Some renderings of the East Harbour GO-OL station in this article.

Hmm... curved platforms... Idk how much I like that...

Hmm... curved platforms... Idk how much I like that...
Yeah, I think those have always been the plan, as straightening the platforms would require a significant realignment of the rail corridor in this area. Curved platforms means they can minimise disruption to GO service.
Tbh, I don't think it'll be a big problem if the station is designed well.

Back