News   May 01, 2024
 168     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 277     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.4K     0 

VIA Rail

It's the kind of travel time estimates you get from people who don't grasp the difference between maximum and average speed. To compare: the Ecotrain Study estimated a travel time of 1:11 hours for their F-200 scenario (0:57 for E-300) and that still required a level of infrastructure works which escalated per-km capital costs to several times what we've ever seen mentioned for HFR...
I think we need to walk before we can run. Even with this investment 80% of the corridor trains will still have on time issues. So it's a good start but more needs to be done to increase frequency and reduce travel times. But also make it more convenient and be able to travel at times to make it more attractive to take the train.
Hopefully service will get back to normal soon allowing us to use the train more.

298 km through Alexandria, compared to 204 km through Cornwall ... Cornwall is going to be much faster. Historically they've done it in 105 minutes.
Historically yes, but right now they don't. My point is about directing HFR investment to the Montreal-Ottawa-Peterborough-Toronto corridor and how by speeding up Montreal-Ottawa-Smith Falls they could immediately have trains that go Montreal to Toronto pass through Ottawa with no change in schedule thereby increasing the frequency in the corridor without negatively impacting the timetables that exist today.

How - historically it's nearly 20 minutes just to get to Dorval (35 minutes currently). So 40 minutes to go go 168 km - including the stop in Ottawa?
Serve Dorval on non-express trains, separate the VIA tracks from the CN tracks by shifting CN slightly south and diving under the St Laurent sub junction. Hopefully there are investments that could be made to allow the train to average a speed higher than 60km/h from Centrale to Dorval but the key is not stopping and improving line speed. Going 187km at an average speed of 170km/h gets you to Ottawa in about 66min. If it was via a reinstated Vankleek Hill route the distance is 175km and has less sharp curves, but it would likely be more valuable to smooth out the curves on the existing route. Stop for 20min in Ottawa. Travel to Smith Falls in 24min (66km at 170km/h), to Brockville in 23min (45km at 120km/h) . That is a total 66+20+24+23=133min (2h13). Currently this takes 2 hours direct so it is within reach to almost make a detour to Ottawa today with tracks designed for 200km/h on a absolutely non-direct route. The fact that today VIA trains from Montreal to Brockville covers the 204km in 1h59 (average 102km/h), and Montreal-Ottawa-Brockville is 298km and the speed of the train could be more than 50% faster on average means the detour need not take much more time.

However, the real point is that the HFR investment can be made in the Smith Falls to Montreal corridor and make an immediate impact. It is a route key to any solution being proposed, it currently sees service, and getting a train to its destination faster frees it for a return trip back.

As usual just a little press release with no actual details. Have we ever seen something somewhat substantial on this project released publicly?

This part sounds good.....

1625580223696.png

Then we get this ambitious work plan!

1625580269772.png

Don't get me wrong, I think this is the 1st time we have a date for launching an RFP.
But we don't have a date for the RFP closing!
We also don't even have a 'confirmed' route (they're clearly looking at Havelock, but nothing is signed/settled) , let alone applicable purchase agreements.
This feels to me, too much like a .....we have an election coming and we need to claim to be doing something announcement. I do hope I'm being overly cynical!

Link to the Press Release here: https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-...n-service-in-the-toronto-to-quebec-city-.html

In the backgrounder, they still don't get specific about the work beginning this year.

1625580588669.png

Link to the backgrounder: https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-...l-in-the-toronto-to-quebec-city-corridor.html

Historically yes, but right now they don't. My point is about directing HFR investment to the Montreal-Ottawa-Peterborough-Toronto corridor and how by speeding up Montreal-Ottawa-Smith Falls they could immediately have trains that go Montreal to Toronto pass through Ottawa with no change in schedule thereby increasing the frequency in the corridor without negatively impacting the timetables that exist today.

I do agree that dwelling on what VIA was able to do in the past isn't always relevant (conditions change).

Serve Dorval on non-express trains, separate the VIA tracks from the CN tracks by shifting CN slightly south and diving under the St Laurent sub junction. Hopefully there are investments that could be made to allow the train to average a speed higher than 60km/h from Centrale to Dorval but the key is not stopping and improving line speed.

Any improvement made east of Coteau (or west of Brockville) would also improve travel times for trains via Cornwall, thus it cannot be used to justify detouring Toronto-Montreal trains via Ottawa. HFR works because it creates a shorter route between Ottawa and Toronto and because it is on dedicated tracks, the reliability and on time performance will be much better (even if the Montreal-Toronto travel times don't improve significantly from the status quo).

Going 187km at an average speed of 170km/h gets you to Ottawa in about 66min.

I question the feasibility of that. Don't forget that getting in and out of Central Station to/from the west is very slow because of all the curves and 63 of the 187 km will still be on shared track. The current travel time from Montreal to Coteau is 59 minutes, and decreasing that significantly won't be easy. They could potentially shorten the entire route a bit and reduce the amount of shared track by running parallel to CP's Winchester Sub (if an agreement with CP can be made), but I still don't see your travel time being easily obtained without significant expense upgrading tracks in central Montreal.

If it was via a reinstated Vankleek Hill route the distance is 175km and has less sharp curves, but it would likely be more valuable to smooth out the curves on the existing route.

I agree. Resurrecting the old M&O line has little benefit since VIA now owns the Alexandria Sub.

Stop for 20min in Ottawa. Travel to Smith Falls in 24min (66km at 170km/h),

It currently takes about 20 minutes to travel the 16 km to Fallowfield. Part of that is slowing for the station, but part of it is also the twists and turns getting out of Ottawa. Similar to the approach to Montreal, straightening the track inside city limits to fix that is going to be EXPENSIVE! Even if you could somehow magically cut that in half to 10 minutes, doing the remaining 50 km to Smiths Falls in 14 minutes would require an average speed of 214 km/h.

to Brockville in 23min (45km at 120km/h) .

The current travel time is around 35 minutes, so this might be feasible. The question is, since this leg is such a backtrack, is it worth putting any significant amount of money onto the Brockville Sub? I would rather that money put on finding a more direct route (be it the Havelock Sub, or another route).

However, the real point is that the HFR investment can be made in the Smith Falls to Montreal corridor and make an immediate impact. It is a route key to any solution being proposed, it currently sees service, and getting a train to its destination faster frees it for a return trip back.

I agree. I just don't think detouring Montreal-Toronto trains via Ottawa and Brockville is feasible.

This is pretty low ambition. Their promised reductions translate to about 10 hrs between Toronto and Quebec City and 2 hrs 45 mins between Montreal and Quebec City.

They prioritized electrification over faster service. That seems more like the decision of a government intent on signalling than one thinking of riders.

This is pretty low ambition. Their promised reductions translate to about 10 hrs between Toronto and Quebec City and 2 hrs 45 mins between Montreal and Quebec City.

They prioritized electrification over faster service. That seems more like the decision of a government intent on signalling than one thinking of riders.
I mean the Toronto-Quebec travel time doesn't really make sense to me.

Toronto-Ottawa will be about 3hrs, Ottawa-Montreal probably around 1.5hrs, and Montreal-Quebec at 2.75hrs, for a total of 7.25hrs. Even with a small layover in Montreal theoretically, how do you get 10hrs for end-to-end?

Ultimately Toronto-Quebec is a fairly low demand route that is a bit long for rail to serve anyway. Most of the utility is in the shorter city pairs.

Toronto-Ottawa in 3hrs would be huge for most people in Ontario, for example.

The Toronto-Montreal travel time continues to be disappointing, but it is still a not insignificant improvement over today.

Back