News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 638     0 

Ontario Northland/Northern Ontario Transportation

I stand to be corrected by I believe all of ONR trackage, as well as CN Newmarket sub. operates under OCS.

Overhead Contact System (OCS)​

• OCS is a series of overhead wires which supply electricity to the electric trains. Power is supplied to the train through the pantograph which makes “contact” with the OCS.
  • OCS is supported by cantilever and portal structures.
  • OCS is designed to ensure trains meet minimum performance standards; maximum distance between OCS supports is approximately 65 m.
  • A design excellence review process will be carried out to review design options for enhancing certain aspects of the project design/ aesthetics wherever possible.

It’s pretty clear the previous posts referred to Occupancy Control System, where train movements are controlled through a dispatcher via radio, rather than controlled by wayside signals. This setup is adequate for low traffic rail corridors with moderate speed.

Overhead Contact System (OCS)​

• OCS is a series of overhead wires which supply electricity to the electric trains. Power is supplied to the train through the pantograph which makes “contact” with the OCS.
  • OCS is supported by cantilever and portal structures.
  • OCS is designed to ensure trains meet minimum performance standards; maximum distance between OCS supports is approximately 65 m.
  • A design excellence review process will be carried out to review design options for enhancing certain aspects of the project design/ aesthetics wherever possible.

^Ya, apologies, I guess, for using an acronym. I assumed someone who posts prolifically in rail-related threads would have understood what it meant

^Ya, apologies, I guess, for using an acronym. I assumed someone who posts prolifically in rail-related threads would have understood what it meant
I am not in the field of rail, however, in my field we have several different acronyms that are the same, but stand for different things, depending on equipment. When I don't know something, I look it up to find the most relevant or the most misused thing.

You are correct that north of Washago, it is OCS.

Wisconsin Southern (Watco) locomotives seen in Sault Ste. Marie:
IMG_20210731_222709_218.jpg

At least it seems to be indicating that they plan on purchasing new trains. I wonder if they'll piggyback off VIA's order.
Do they not know that the Canadian runs from Sudbury to Toronto? I guess they would still need to certify the northern section.

All of the stations are in place, you could start with portable toilets or trailers and heated shelters instead of opening the station building. Portables could be used as ticket booths.

Don't need to do it properly the first time.

Do they not know that the Canadian runs from Sudbury to Toronto? I guess they would still need to certify the northern section.

All of the stations are in place, you could start with portable toilets or trailers and heated shelters instead of opening the station building. Portables could be used as ticket booths.

Don't need to do it properly the first time.

The returned Northlander will not be going through Sudbury or using either of those subs.

Back