Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

And so it should be. I hear the turboprops approaching the airport. I'll fight to ban turboprops in favour of quieter jets when there are quieter options! Who wouldn't?
I think “jets” are a knee-jerk thing for people looking for something to complain about, going back 50 or 60 years to the high-pitched screaming turbojets of the time. (And maybe air conditioning was less common back then and people would have tended to have their windows open through most of the summer?)
In any case, I’d assume those who don’t want it will come up with other objections.

A bit more info on the Porter Jet thing:

In addition to Toronto Pearson, Porter has approached airports including Ottawa, Hamilton, Kitchener and London, one of the sources said. The airports declined to comment or did not respond to interview requests.​
On May 13, trade publication Airfinance Journal reported Porter is the buyer of 30 Embraer E195 E2 jets, a narrow-body medium-range jet that seats as many as 150 people. Embraer declined by e-mail to name the buyer of the jets.​
...​
Mr. Cicero would not answer questions about the reported purchase of the Embraer planes. “This isn’t our order,” he said. “We have no plans to switch our fleet. Our focus continues to be on relaunching operations in 2021 with the existing Dash 8-400 fleet.”​

I'd prefer we have a local airport, instead of all the wasted greenhouse gases travelling to Mississauga. Also more convenient.

Though if it were to go, I don't see the need for much more parkland. Would be nice to see some good dense residential along with a streetcar extension down Bathurst, to make the existing parkland more accessible.

Last edited:
Hopefully none of these proposals will see the light of day and BB could finally be shut down and turned back into the parkland it once was.
Since 1938. I'm not sure it ever was parkland. The history shows they had to tear down a baseball stadium, some cottages and an amusement park.

Though if it were to go, I don't see the need for much more parkland...
I sometimes wonder if the people making that suggestion have ever been there, or even bothered to look at a map. Little Norway Park is right there at the entrance for the tunnel and the ferry to the airport. If I lived there, I don't think I'd be walking the dog past that park very often and instead taking a tunnel or ferry to an island. There's also Ireland Park, Stadium Road Park, Toronto Music Garden, Canoe Landing Park, both of the HTO Parks, Garrison Common, Coronation Park, The Toronto Inukshuk Park, and Trillium Park/Davis Trail all not very far away (and also not requiring a tunnel or ferry to access). A lack of parks would not appear to be a problem in that specific neighbourhood.

Last edited:
I sometimes wonder if the people making that suggestion have ever been there, or even bothered to look at a map. Little Norway Park is right there at the entrance for the tunnel and the ferry to the airport. If I lived there, I don't think I'd be walking the dog past that park very often and instead taking a tunnel or ferry to an island. There's also Ireland Park, Toronto Music Gardens, Canoe Landing Park, both of the HTO Parks, Coronation Park, and Trillium Park/Davis Trail all not very far away (and also not requiring a tunnel or ferry to access). A lack of parks would not appear to be a problem in that specific neighbourhood.
I mean… obviously, this park would be able to serve the entire downtown area, and more. Large parks don’t just serve the residents in their periphery.

Actually, there is an urgent need for more green spaces in Toronto downtown core. The rate of "green space per person" is pathetically low; it is less than 1sqm/person in some neighborhoods and keep dropping due to increasing population. We should also consider that many people live in downtown core do not have private backyards, a car, or a cottage. As such large public green spaces accessible by public transportation (High Park, Toronto Island, Tommy Thompson Park) are the only options for them to enjoy the privilege of being outdoors. The Music Garden and the Ontario Place are actually extremely popular (and crowded) nowadays thanks to lack of constant engine noise from the BB Airport.

https://blog.thinkdataworks.com/data-investigation-how-green-is-toronto

IMG_2951.jpg

The Music Garden and the Ontario Place are actually extremely popular (and crowded) nowadays thanks to lack of constant engine noise from the BB Airport.

I've been to the Music Garden multiple times during weekends, pre-covid. Never noticed the engine noise. Probably you can distinguish that noise if your goal is to study the situation, but it is benign enough not to be noticed otherwise.

And the Music Garden was equally popular.

The perception of the noise can be different from one individual to another, also the perception of the difference between a sound and a noise (i.e. bird sound, motorcycle sound). However, the noise monitoring station installed in the Toronto Music Garden quantitatively tells us that it is relatively "quiet" now. You will see this measurement easily go over 60 Dba once couple of Q400s lined up for take-off and just running their engines. Noise levels generally go as high as interrupting a regular conversation to the person sitting next to you during take-offs and landings. Again, some may not notice or even enjoy this sound/noise. I live right there and walk through the Music Garden almost everyday, so I do not agree with your comment that it was "equally popular". There is a significant difference between the pre-pandemic days and now. I believe it is not only related to the lower noise levels, but also to the fact that many people are now working from home and do not travel. It is a nice place to sit, relax and enjoy the outdoors.

1622135598720.png

Last edited:
Here is a sample measurement recorded just before taking off of a Dash-8-400 from 30 June 2019:

1622138614404.png

Attachments

• 1622138304991.png
    1622138304991.png
    421 KB · Views: 104
Living in a dense urban center comes with trade offs, one of them being personal green space, another being noise pollution.

That's true, but a good urban planning can mitigate or reduce the environmental inequalities in the society and provide sustainable benefits to all. Luckily, Toronto has this potential.

Attachments

• 1622140901422.png
    1622140901422.png
    404.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 1622140914353.png
    1622140914353.png
    404.4 KB · Views: 108

Back