News   Mar 28, 2024
 70     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 548     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 356     0 

VIA Rail

looks like the livery is completely different from the concept, with only a sliver of the back end remaining. TBH it just looks disjointed and out of place with this grey canvas stretching the length of the loco, especially since they are marketing this as a complete train set vs a loco and wagons. .
Perhaps the PR team wanted to emphasize the VIA name and didnt want it to blend into the yellow and black. Or they just ran out of money on the paint....lol

looks like the livery is completely different from the concept, with only a sliver of the back end remaining. TBH it just looks disjointed and out of place with this grey canvas stretchingt the length of the loco.
Perhaps the PR team wanted to emphasize the VIA name and didnt want it to blend into the yellow and black. Or they just ran out of money on the paint....lol
Actually prefer the dark grey. Looks far more sleek than the original concept. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say.

Also, notice the subtle addition of the coach car paint scheme towards the back of the locomotive, hence creating the impression that the loco and all passenger coaches are part of a "single" unit or train set.

I will wait until I see the whole trainset to have an opinion. The look of the engine should match the design of the cab car... but I can't imagine how all that grey with a big logo will look on the cab car with windows.

I will wait until I see the whole trainset to have an opinion. The look of the engine should match the design of the cab car... but I can't imagine how all that grey with a big logo will look on the cab car with windows.

I don't see why the cab car needs to look identical to the locomotive. For one thing, as you say, the cab car will have windows, which will change the aesthetic significantly. Also, the locomotive, even with its Tier 4 rating, will emit pollution and will thus get grimy, so its paint scheme should hide that.

Last edited:
I don't see why the cab car needs to look identical to the locomotive. For one thing, as you say, the cab car will have windows, which will change the aesthetic significantly. Also, the locomotive, even with its Tier 4 rating, will emit pollution and will thus get grimy, so its paint scheme should hide that.
I agree it will not be identical... but I the train should look like the livery is cohesive. The cabs on each end are going to be identical in shape... they will need to transition from the paint job they have chosen at the front of the engine to the three stripe livery they have on the passenger cars in some way, so it is hard to see if it is a good design without seeing the finished product.

Personally I hate the new Amtrak livery and fit. They made no effort to have the engine shape transition to the passenger car shape (so the passenger cars stick out wider than the engine) and the transition from grey nose to striped coach looks like it was whipped together by someone that didn't know what they are doing. Compare Google images of Amtrak Acela LB Steel (which in my opinion look great) versus Next Generation of Acela Amtrak (which looks ill conceived to me).

The same poor fit can occur here and really until the final product is revealed it could look equally disjointed.

I agree it will not be identical... but I the train should look like the livery is cohesive. The cabs on each end are going to be identical in shape... they will need to transition from the paint job they have chosen at the front of the engine to the three stripe livery they have on the passenger cars in some way, so it is hard to see if it is a good design without seeing the finished product.

Personally I hate the new Amtrak livery and fit. They made no effort to have the engine shape transition to the passenger car shape (so the passenger cars stick out wider than the engine) and the transition from grey nose to striped coach looks like it was whipped together by someone that didn't know what they are doing. Compare Google images of Amtrak Acela LB Steel (which in my opinion look great) versus Next Generation of Acela Amtrak (which looks ill conceived to me).

The same poor fit can occur here and really until the final product is revealed it could look equally disjointed.
Oddly enough the orignal concept renders show a perfectly streamlined train with the same shape throughout... wonder why they deviated?? cost saving??

^I would not stress too much about the scheme. It may iterate, just as past schemes have.

The “Love the way” scheme has only been with us since 2017. The previous “Flyer” scheme dates from around 2000. The original F40 scheme evolved several times before those units were rebuilt and repainted into the yellow stripes.

Along the way, we saw Home Hardware, Coors Light, Budweiser, Kool-Aid, Telus, Operation Lifesaver, Spiderman... have I missed any?

- Paul

^I would not stress too much about the scheme. It may iterate, just as past schemes have.

The “Love the way” scheme has only been with us since 2017. The previous “Flyer” scheme dates from around 2000. The original F40 scheme evolved several times before those units were rebuilt and repainted into the yellow stripes.

Along the way, we saw Home Hardware, Coors Light, Budweiser, Kool-Aid, Telus, Operation Lifesaver, Spiderman... have I missed any?

- Paul
Thing is though this time the trains are all semi permanent trainsets not individual units lashed together. They were marketed this way and hence they should have a unified livery throughout.

I agree that it should have a cohesive look, but that is more about having the "paint" scheme on the tail of the locomotive flow into the front of the first coach. Since this will always be a Business 3A coach, the transition could continue onto it. It does not need to be symmetrical to be cohesive though.

Just like i never liked the way the P42DC looked when combined with VIA's existing corridor fleet as it was too big and didn't flow nicely (regardless of the livery).

We will have to wait and see.

Thing is though this time the trains are all semi permanent trainsets not individual units lashed together. They were marketed this way and hence they should have a unified livery throughout.

It isn't totally clear, but the latest I have heard is that coaches will have semi permanent couplers interconnecting them, but the Business 3A coach will have have a standard coupler at the front to allow any locomotive to be coupled to it.

Last edited:
VIA press release from today. HFR noted.

VIA Rail in 2020: a year marked by resilience, crisis management and focus on modernization

NEWS PROVIDED BY
VIA Rail Canada Inc.
May 19, 2021, 09:00 ET

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE ANNUAL REPORT
From January 1st to December 31, 2020
  • Ridership decreased by 77% in 2020 compared to 2019
  • Operating expenses decreased by 21.2%
  • Essential services maintained during the pandemic
  • Continuous implementation of preventive measures in response to the pandemic
  • Sustained progress on VIA Rail's modernization program
MONTRÉAL, May 19, 2021 /CNW Telbec/ - After a remarkably difficult year, VIA Rail Canada (VIA Rail) reflects in its 2020 annual report on the unique challenges it faced, and on its responsible and efficient response to the significant disruption in its operations stemming from blockades and the COVID-19 pandemic. VIA Rail experienced in 2020 a 77% drop in ridership and a decrease of 80% in passenger revenues compared to 2019.

"Last year, VIA Rail faced more challenges than it ever had in its 43-year history. As we adapted our operations, procedures and processes in order to manage the impact of the consecutive crises, we remained focused on serving Canadians by maintaining essential services and operating our national passenger rail service. We would like to thank the Government of Canada for its support and guidance during these trying times. Despite the blockades and the pandemic, our passengers showed an unwavering trust in our services and the measures we put in place, hence demonstrating the importance of passenger rail. As we keep dealing with COVID-19, we are committed to regaining the confidence of Canadians by offering a safe, accessible, sustainable and comfortable way to travel. This is the hallmark of the VIA Rail experience, and we look forward to welcoming back more and more passengers as soon as the situation allows it," declared Françoise Bertrand, Chairperson of the Board of Directors.

Adapting services while protecting the health and safety of all
2020 was marked by the continued adaptation of our services. VIA Rail had to suspend most of its operations due to the blockades in February and then continuously adjusted its services according to the evolution of the pandemic while striving to offer an essential service. Throughout this situation, VIA Rail has been following the guidance and recommendations of public health authorities and has since March implemented preventive measures, including the reduction of its capacity on board its trains, to protect the health and safety of its passengers and employees.

"In 2020, teams across the organization had to adapt quickly to an ever-changing environment," said Cynthia Garneau, President and Chief Executive Officer. "From our schedules to COVID-19 measures, the health and safety of all were always at the heart of our decisions. While we regrettably had to temporarily reduce the size of our workforce due to this extraordinary situation, I would like to thank our employees who, whether it be in stations, on board our trains, in our maintenance centres or in our administrative offices, have been delivering an exemplary service throughout this pandemic. Their dedication and agility are the reason Canadians still chose to "love the way" in these unprecedented times."
As a result of the pandemic, VIA Rail was forced to suspend some routes and is aware that transportation options have become more limited in certain areas of the country. The Corporation will continue to adapt its operations according to the evolution of the health crisis and is committed to resuming full service across Canada as soon as the situation allows it.

Managing the financial repercussions of COVID-19
VIA Rail took steps to ensure the responsible management of its operations and the public funds allocated by the Government of Canada. The Corporation implemented a series of measures including, amongst others, the reduction of some of its operating expenses in proportion to the level of operations as well as temporary layoffs. As such, VIA Rail recorded in 2020 a 21.2% decrease in operating expenses.

Acting today for a better tomorrow
Despite the difficulties faced in 2020, VIA Rail moved forward with the implementation of its 2020-2025 Strategic Plan which establishes the values and priorities that drive a modern, accessible and sustainable passenger rail service. The Corporation also reviewed and updated its sustainability strategy which focuses on updated approaches and initiatives that reduce VIA Rail's impact on the environment, enhance its role as a responsible mobility provider, and create lasting value for Canadian society.

"As the national passenger rail service, we have a responsibility that goes beyond simply offering transportation to Canadians. Indeed, we aspire to positively impact the lives of those around us by acting today for a better tomorrow. 2020 was an important year for VIA Rail as we completed the foundational work to truly embed sustainability in all our operations moving forward. The challenges we faced over the past year only strengthen our commitment to help build a more sustainable and mobile Canada," said Ben Marc Diendéré, Chief Public Affairs and Communications Officer.
Continuing to improve the travel experience of our passengers with disabilities was also a key priority in 2020. In fact, VIA Rail took important steps towards accessibility by launching its first Universal Accessibility Policy and completing 18 projects under its three-year plan and the Canadian Transportation Agency's (CTA) Accessible Transportation for Persons with Disabilities Regulations, which came into effect last June.

Providing Canadians with a modern passenger rail service
"Modernization is one way of ensuring that we always go further together. Last year truly demonstrated the limitations of the current transportation system in Canada. As such, we moved forward with our key modernization projects which will contribute to creating a more connected and modern country and enable VIA Rail to better serve current and future passengers. These projects will not only allow us to contribute to playing a key role in the fight against climate change, but also to meet the changing needs of an increasingly mobile population. Through the renovation of an aging fleet, the arrival of state-of-the-art trains in the Corridor starting in 2022, and our High Frequency Rail project, we will convince more and more Canadians that VIA Rail is the smarter way to travel. As we look ahead, our commitment to transform passenger rail service is stronger than ever, and we cannot wait to show what we have in store for the future of sustainable mobility," concluded Cynthia Garneau.

VIA Rail's annual report is available at:
https://media.viarail.ca/sites/default/files/publications/Annual_report_2020_EN.pdf

About VIA Rail
As Canada's national rail passenger service, VIA Rail (viarail.ca) and all its employees are mandated to provide safe, efficient and economical passenger transportation service, in both official languages of our country. VIA Rail operates intercity, regional and transcontinental trains linking over 400 communities across Canada, and about 180 more communities through intermodal partnerships, and safely transported over 5 million passengers in 2019. The Corporation has been awarded nine Safety Awards and three Environment Awards by the Railway Association of Canada since 2005. Visit the "About VIA Rail" section at https://www.viarail.ca/en/about-via-rail.
SOURCE VIA Rail Canada Inc.
For further information: Source: Ben Marc Diendéré, Chief Public Affairs and Communications Officer, VIA Rail Canada

Related Links​

http://www.viarail.ca/

Lots of passion from this group.

FB_IMG_1621471544261.jpg

Lots of passion from this group.

View attachment 321042
I don't recall any previous commitment to return passenger rail service to New Carlisle before the service can be restored all the way to Gaspé. The marginal benefit of doing so and running a bus shuttle between New Carlisle and Gaspé would be ridiculously minuscule compared to the costs of doing so. Much better to run a bus shuttle all the way from Campbellton at a fraction of that cost...

Back