News   Mar 28, 2024
 992     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 554     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 848     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that retrofitting our LFLRVs with autonomous tech might not be too difficult once the autonomous technology is available on the market. As long as the LRVs are fly-by-wire, it should be pretty straightforward to connect an autonomous driving system to the controls of the LRV.

The more difficult parts might actually the upgrades that would be needed elsewhere in the network. For example, all the network switches would need to be electronic, as they'll be no drivers available to manually move the switch. This won't be an issue on the Crosstown, but it will be an issue on the legacy streetcar network.

Electronic communications between Transit Control and the LRVs would need to be improved as well, as failed communications system would be catastrophic under autonomous operations. I'd image that some combination of cellular networks (4G, 5G, etc...) and mesh networking (essentially the streetcars wirelessly relaying messages between each other) would be sufficiently reliable. These solutions are proposed for use in autonomous automobiles as well.

It's exciting to think about the service improvements that would be delivered by autonomy. Operating costs would be significantly lower, which means we can afford to run additional trams. And without having to manage people, you'd no longer have to deal with layovers to switch drivers.
We'll still want people to be on the trains to handle arguments, fights, emergencies, and tourist information (never know when a 905er may come into the 416 for a visit).

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that retrofitting our LFLRVs with autonomous tech might not be too difficult once the autonomous technology is available on the market. As long as the LRVs are fly-by-wire, it should be pretty straightforward to connect an autonomous driving system to the controls of the LRV.

The more difficult parts might actually the upgrades that would be needed elsewhere in the network. For example, all the network switches would need to be electronic, as they'll be no drivers available to manually move the switch. This won't be an issue on the Crosstown, but it will be an issue on the legacy streetcar network.

Electronic communications between Transit Control and the LRVs would need to be improved as well, as failed communications system would be catastrophic under autonomous operations. I'd image that some combination of cellular networks (4G, 5G, etc...) and mesh networking (essentially the streetcars wirelessly relaying messages between each other) would be sufficiently reliable. These solutions are proposed for use in autonomous automobiles as well.

It's exciting to think about the service improvements that would be delivered by autonomy. Operating costs would be significantly lower, which means we can afford to run additional trams. And without having to manage people, you'd no longer have to deal with layovers to switch drivers.
It occurs to me that the 407 Transitway would be a very good environment for demonstrating low floor automation (among other things I rather strongly suspect that whatever the GTAA comes up with will be a single mixed busway/LRT corridor between Humber College and Renforth).

It occurs to me that the 407 Transitway would be a very good environment for demonstrating low floor automation (among other things I rather strongly suspect that whatever the GTAA comes up with will be a single mixed busway/LRT corridor between Humber College and Renforth).
Why? The 407 Transitway is planned to be fully grade separated, there is absolutely no advantage to using low floor tech for any rail conversion for that corridor. How about we don't pull the same mistake as Ottawa and make a fully grade separated low floor line.

Photos from West Open House presentation https://www.metrolinxengage.com/sites/default/files/west_voh_april_14_2021_v6.pdf
Mount Dennis GO/UP
1618590918857.png

Mount Dennis Bus Terminal
1618590985473.png

Keelesdale
1618591060203.png

Caledonia
1618591094754.png

Fairbank
1618591147332.png

Oakwood
1618591198844.png

Cedarvale
1618591236402.png

The 407 transitway is a 2050 or later project. A lot about transportation tech will change between now and then.

I wonder how many of the east end Traction Power Substations are complete and ready to operate. From past ML notices
TPSS 9 - Don Valley
TPSS 10- Victoria Park
TPSS 11 - Warden
TPSS 12 - Birchmount

I am sure there is redundancy and interconnectivity so maybe only one is needed to begin testing

- Paul

I wonder how many of the east end Traction Power Substations are complete and ready to operate. From past ML notices
TPSS 9 - Don Valley
TPSS 10- Victoria Park
TPSS 11 - Warden
TPSS 12 - Birchmount

I am sure there is redundancy and interconnectivity so maybe only one is needed to begin testing

- Paul
Just curious: At which underground stations are TPSSs 1-8 located?

Back