News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 859     0 

Oakville custom home architecture

What are your thoughts on the different kinds of roofing? SE Oakville custom homes have asphalt of course, but there's a decent amount that use metal standing seam, some with metal tiles, I think some with cedar (?) and even a few that seem to use slate (mostly just ultra-high end). I can't think of any that use clay tile, for whatever reason those seem to be very uncommon around here.

I like natural materials, so wood (cedar), stone (slate), clay, and metal.
Asphalt shingles were a sort of invention for the time of the "democratisation" of home ownership following the Second World War. So, cheap, because the explosion in home ownership after the war was amongst people who had no business owning anything and would not have been able to afford owning before it was made easier through government policy. Anyway, they're ugly, cheap, and of low quality in my very extensive practical experience. This is not a subjective opinion, allow me to say.

Clay isn't used a lot around here because it can lead to issues with ice build up and the freeze-thaw cycle. That's why it was used more as an ornamentation for facades whilst roofs were done in slate, for example.

Cedar was the poor man's roof before shingles came along though....I sometimes laugh when wealthy Toronto homeowners get it done instead of slate, say. It's not a very good material as it has a relatively short lifespan compared to slate, metal, and clay.

You simply cannot beat a roof clad in stainless or copper for longevity and functionality.
But even a slate roof is good for well over a century. The problem with the old slate roofs is not the quality of the material used but the fact that in the early 20th century, steel nails were used instead of the long-since standard copper nails.
Steel nails obviously rusting out, causing slate to fall out. Copper nails on the other hand will last longer than the slate they hold.
Most slate should be good for ~120-150+ years.
I've been involved with slate roof refurbishments even where the century old slate is reused and reinstalled with copper nails.

But yeah, shingles are lowest common denominator stuff.

The "maritime" style of home seen in southern Oakville, Burlington, and in certain parts of Mississauga seems to be inspired by the proximity to the lake. You don't see it quite as often north of the QEW.
I think that may be because in many cases, north of the QEW the neighbourhood are generally much younger. Closer to the lake the houses tend to be on larger lots, with mature trees and the houses we are seeing are either major renos or new builds trying to 'fit in' (and owners with probably deeper pockets). Not exclusively, but north of the QEW tends to be, as the US calls them, 'tract homes'.

What are your thoughts on the different kinds of roofing? SE Oakville custom homes have asphalt of course, but there's a decent amount that use metal standing seam, some with metal tiles, I think some with cedar (?) and even a few that seem to use slate (mostly just ultra-high end). I can't think of any that use clay tile, for whatever reason those seem to be very uncommon around here.

We've had a couple of 're-roofs' in our neighbourhood and what looks like tile is actually metal sheets.

I get what Sunrise is saying, but the cost of non-asphalt (now mostly fibreglas) is out of reach for most homeowners. Even if you try to factor in resale value, it still has to be done with today's dollars. Also, at my age, spending extra money on a long life material like steel seems a tad pointless.

Interestingly, I was flipping around last week and landed on a UK real estate show, Escape to the Country or one of those. The couple was looking at houses in Cornwall and one had been recently been re-thatched and came with a 50-year warrantee. I had seen them the one time when I was over there and didn't realize it was still a thing (it's awfully thick). I was told at the time that for a period, I think post-WWII, asphalt shingles were banned because of crude shortages.

I think that may be because in many cases, north of the QEW the neighbourhood are generally much younger. Closer to the lake the houses tend to be on larger lots, with mature trees and the houses we are seeing are either major renos or new builds trying to 'fit in' (and owners with probably deeper pockets). Not exclusively, but north of the QEW tends to be, as the US calls them, 'tract homes'.
Yeah, these are mostly full rebuilds with only a small number that were major renos. But there's quite a lot of that in neighbourhoods north of the QEW too. In some cases, like with the typical rebuild in a neighbourhood like Downsview, which is more middle class, I guess the developers are working on smaller budgets and recycling tract house designs. There's still neighbourhoods North of the QEW with similar incomes, lot sizes and architecture of the original housing where they don't build homes in this style though. Like this particular "Maritime style" seems to be much more common with new builds in SE Oakville than in Central Etobicoke, York Mills or Thornhill. In those neighbourhoods it seems like it's mostly either stucco, brick and stone clad homes or modern homes.

We've had a couple of 're-roofs' in our neighbourhood and what looks like tile is actually metal sheets.
These are nowhere near as "bulletproof" nor long-lasting as a standing seam roof in a non-ferrous material.

I get what Sunrise is saying, but the cost of non-asphalt (now mostly fibreglas) is out of reach for most homeowners.
I know, it's because of the "democratisation" of home ownership, as I said. 100 years ago, all us plebs would have cedar roofs, but even cedar is too expensive for the average person.

That being said, if the roof is under a certain size and is a simple design, it's not that much more to get a proper material installed, and well worth it, in my professional opinion.

The problem is, one can find shingle slingers that will do a roof for a third of the cost of a more professional outfit, never mind better materials. Does one want that though?

First two homes are another style that was pretty popular in SE Oakville in the 00s.
b1E602o.jpg

nDlCuP3.jpg

This last one is a bit more unique, I'm having a hard time thinking of other homes like it.
n7YcNMf.jpg

That middle one is alright in spite of the precast and the unnecessary details in some spots.

All natural (almost) material. Decent neo-historical design elements in spots. Looks well enough constructed.

That middle one is alright in spite of the precast and the unnecessary details in some spots.

All natural (almost) material. Decent neo-historical design elements in spots. Looks well enough constructed.
Yeah, I think it's one of the better neo-traditional style homes in the neighbourhood.

Another picture from a slightly different angle.
bmCnV6s.jpg

What the hell is that bay on the right side? Looks terrible. You'd think it might be a spot for a fireplace on the inside but I don't see the requisite exhaust on the outside.

Also, the eavestroughs are lame-o small K-style.

What the hell is that bay on the right side? Looks terrible. You'd think it might be a spot for a fireplace on the inside but I don't see the requisite exhaust on the outside.

Also, the eavestroughs are lame-o small K-style.

If it was a major reno, it almost looks like it use to be a garage (although no visible drop in the sidewalk). I agree - it looks odd.

I agree - it looks odd.
It's super bunk and it's clad in a shitty, cheap material. Looks like some sort of cheap wood/glue/whatever combo.

Should at least be clad in a nice metal panel. I think it would then at least be an interesting component as opposed to a complete detraction from the whole that it is now.

Let me at it! I'll burn the cheap glue and wood bits there now and throw something proper on! ;)

Back