News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 562     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 851     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Ok I've now completed editing the subway & streetcar map for the next 9 years! The completion dates of projects are definitely going to be later than I put due to delays but I just did it according to Metrolinx's given dates and my guesses when there are no dates provided. Here's the link the the Imgur album just so they can be at a better resolution: View attachment 295751
That's the last map I made for 2030^ The last thing I'm going to add is the Ontario line along with an extension of Broadview streetcar service to commissioners and a revised 505 streetcar. This current map wasn't designed with the Ontario Line in mind and it shows so far it is not the prettiest thing to look at. They're really gonna have to redesign this map when it opens and I might tackle that as my next project. If I made any mistakes it'd be great if u could point them out so I can fix them and try not to make similar mistakes in the future. Thanks!
No Eglinton West or Yonge extension? Also, there won't be any YRT service connecting at Scarborough Centre or Sheppard McCowan. Other than that, great map!

No Eglinton West or Yonge extension? Also, there won't be any YRT service connecting at Scarborough Centre or Sheppard McCowan. Other than that, great map!
I added the Yrt service just because it honestly makes sense and really should be a thing in my opinion especially when Scarborough centre has a bigger bus terminal. Ik it's not currently planned but my fingers are crossed. As per Eglinton west and Yonge, they are planned for completion around 2029-2031 so I could have included either of them in the previous map but I think if I do it will be on the map after I add the Ontario Line just because the alignment isn't quite decided on for either (just the pearson connection for Eglinton west), so I expect their opening dates to both to be used back quite a bit, after the Ontario Line opens. I'd love to be proven wrong there but idk man. I might not get to them for a while if the Ontario line necessitates a redisgn as I'd go and redo all of these maps from scratch in that case but I'll include them eventually 😌

Ok I've now completed editing the subway & streetcar map for the next 9 years! The completion dates of projects are definitely going to be later than I put due to delays but I just did it according to Metrolinx's given dates and my guesses when there are no dates provided. Here's the link the the Imgur album just so they can be at a better resolution: View attachment 295751
That's the last map I made for 2030^ The last thing I'm going to add is the Ontario line along with an extension of Broadview streetcar service to commissioners and a revised 505 streetcar. This current map wasn't designed with the Ontario Line in mind and it shows so far it is not the prettiest thing to look at. They're really gonna have to redesign this map when it opens and I might tackle that as my next project. If I made any mistakes it'd be great if u could point them out so I can fix them and try not to make similar mistakes in the future. Thanks!
Amazing work! I too would love to see this with at least the Ontario Line added, if not Yonge North, and Eglinton East and West too. I'd love to post it on the RL Facebook group too.

Nice map! Btw, I'm assuming the 509 extension to Long Branch represents the Waterfront west LRT - does that completely replace the 501 west of Roncesvalles? It looks like the 501 ends there. And yea, I wish you luck with drawing in the OL, it will be quite a challenge because of the streetcar lines lol. At some point I think the TTC should get rid of mapping the streetcar lines on the main subway map in the future, unless it's LRT.

Nice map! Btw, I'm assuming the 509 extension to Long Branch represents the Waterfront west LRT - does that completely replace the 501 west of Roncesvalles? It looks like the 501 ends there. And yea, I wish you luck with drawing in the OL, it will be quite a challenge because of the streetcar lines lol. At some point I think the TTC should get rid of mapping the streetcar lines on the main subway map in the future, unless it's LRT.
Thanks! There was an older report that was showing different alignments for the waterfront west lrt before it was rebranded as waterfront transit reset and it had the 501 stop at Sunnyside. That also paces the way for the 501 to continue along the Queensway maybe 🤔 And yea I'm currently redesigning map that's somewhere between the full system map and this one so the Ontario line will look a lot better

I've made a map detailing a realistic goal for rapid transit in the GTA set in the year 2070.
toronto2070-72ppi.png

Link to full size image

I'm thinking that the RT 2023 shutdown announcement just might make the time right to introduce what I'm I've come to favor for Sheppard.

1612463539835.png

Suffice to say that even with the Scarborough Extension abandoning the RT right of way at STC annoys me quite a lot. At the same time, extending the Ontario Line extension looks like a good chance for a peace offering to Scarborough regarding the RT down time, as well as that perception that the OL is for downtown.

The economic case for this is pretty dependent on being able to avoid tunneling on the CP ROW, but I don't think elevated construction really should be a problem there. If it genuinely becomes one, there is always Don Mills.

Edit: I put in the Sheppard extension of BD since as much as I might wish to be rid of it, it's probably not worth more delay at this point.

Attachments

• 1612463468210.png
    1612463468210.png
    155.9 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
I think it would be a missed opportunity not to have Line 4 intersection Agincourt GO. If Sheppard actually becomes our real crosstown line at some point, it should enable transfers from most of the radial lines.

true, there is also a lot better ridership potential by running Line 4 along Sheppard in this segment as opposed to the 401. At least, west of Agincourt; anything east of that station is just industrial wasteland for the most part :S

For this map, the Line 2 extension to Sheppard/McCowan is useless, pretty much. But, to me that's a good thing, that station isn't really needed at all and the only reason it likely exists in today's plans is to allow an interchange with Line 4. But, I think it's far better to have a subway interchange at STC rather than some obscure intersection to the north of it. I like the use of the east-west SRT corridor for rapid transit, it's something I think about a lot, although this is the first time I've seen it for an OL extension, which is pretty cool.

Seems redundant for OL to extend to STC. I agree Line 4 should hit Agincourt GO and terminate (or pass through STC then further east to UTSC). OL should probably be heading up toward Finch/Steeles. Upgraded bus service for Malvern? Subway doesn't seem necessary.

My problem with Agincourt isn't that it's not an obviously desirable connection, but that once you do that you're back to tunneling much of Sheppard, and salvaging the STC ROW becomes more problematic. Assuming an above grade extension of the OL is actually feasible I'm inclined to relocating GO down to William Kitchen Rd, where a deviation into a combined station might even be reasonable:

1612469241279.png

As far as taking the Ontario Line toward Finch goes, on the one hand it looks like we're well past mainline compatible equipment being on the table, so running to Richmond Hill Centre isn't a question of actually joining the GO corridor, while following Don Mills is the kind of elevated over road construction we seem to totally reject here..

If our actually acceptable options come down to the list below I see the most benefit in through running:

-tunneling Sheppard and abandoning the STC ROW while not linking the OL (possibly with intent to tunnel OL north one day)
-elevated OL following CP to Scarborough and through running with the Sheppard/RT corridor
-elevated OL joining RH GO north of Lawrence and terminating at Oriole/Leslie while Sheppard does some combination of the two

Frankly I think that one seat Malvern/Downtown is more of a marketing point than important to the network, but one that has a lot of benefit in terms of actually getting funding and support. Combine that with an emphasis on phase 2 being a Pickering extension that seems... as useful as such a project could be... and I think this is the kind of plan that could be a politically viable means to salvage the infrastructure and actually get Sheppard extended.

1612469986297.png

Attachments

• 1612469981073.png
    1612469981073.png
    840.5 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

Back