Toronto OnePark West | ?m | 13s | Daniels | Core Architects

Then why do they build subsidised housing in the core, when it's much cheaper in the 'burbs?

Politics. Middle class WASPs do not want housing projects in their backyard and they are for the most part the people who make up the burbs.

On top of that you have logistical factors. Many low income people do not have cars so access to transportation is key. There are a myriad of other reasons why, but I won't go into much more detail than that.

So now with a new middle class moving into the Regent Park area, and leaving places like Scarborough, many of these former Regent Park residents will be swapping places with them. I grew up in Scarborough and left for that exact reason.

Most of the surrounding area that isn't social housing is not populated by poor people. North of Dundas is Cabbagetown. Try finding a poor person living there.

Fair enough about Cabbagetown, but the area to the south and especially the area to the west has a whole lot of both TCHC units and lower-income housing more generally.

For whatever reason, I spent a lot of time driving along Dundas these past few weeks, and from about Yonge to River the area, at least at first glance, looks none to great.

nobody can argue with that...makes sense. i remember being a volunteer for the salvation army and helping a family move out to scarborough from one of the apartments a couple of years back. hey, sure it's a bit of a pity...but it's human nature. it's done much more humanely than in past times, so i am thankful for that.

The Sobey's and RBC will fit in perfectly with the new residents.
I'd definitely truddle down Sackville from Cabbagetown to visit the new Sobeys. There's more to shopping than low prices, and I'd gladly give them a try for reasonable prices in exchange for a nicer shopping experience.

Then why do subsidised housing projects always have many levels of underground parking? Such as the buildings on Mutual street, at church and Dundas....very close to Transit. Is it so the poor can drive to work?

...because they'd be way too easy to debunk.

You're trying to argue my point with random opinions that don't even make logical sense. We're not talking about buildings on Mutual, we're talking about Regent Park. Hoe many underground parking levels were there? The idea that you're trying to imply the lowest of the low income citizens can afford cars baffles me. And to use that as your best "debunk" of my argument is a little depressing.

You didn't bother to touch the politics argument so I assume that one wasn't so easy to debunk?

Hoe many underground parking levels were there? The idea that you're trying to imply the lowest of the low income citizens can afford cars baffles me. And to use that as your best "debunk" of my argument is a little depressing.

Perahaps his point has to do with your misconception that everyone living in TCHC housing is poor and/or the lowest of the lows. TCHC isn't exactly in the habit of kicking out residents that have suddenly had a winfall either or are people so quickly to leave their neighbourhood behind. That's the whole point of RGI units.

A signiicant percentage of the $400 square foot One Cole Condominiums are being sold to current Regent Park residents.

Perahaps his point has to do with your misconception that everyone living in TCHC housing is poor and/or the lowest of the lows. TCHC isn't exactly in the habit of kicking out residents that have suddenly had a winfall either or are people so quickly to leave their neighbourhood behind. That's the whole point of RGI units.

A signiicant percentage of the $400 square foot One Cole Condominiums are being sold to current Regent Park residents.

The problem is that those residents that have suddenly had a winfall, do NOT report their true income! I lived in a Citihome development at Sherbourne and Dundas for 15 years. I knew a lot of people in Regent Park as well. They all report their welfare income, but very, very few report earned income.
Especially taxi cab drivers and business owners who receive cash payments. It always amazed me how many beautiful vehicles were parked in my building, and at RP, yet most received welfare.
Management just had to turn a blind eye to those vehicles because if they said something, they'd be accused of being a racist, or a fascist, or even have there personal safety at risk.
There are a LOT of people taking advantage of public housing. If all those who don't really need help would leave TCHC buildings, that would open up thousands of spaces for those that do.

I didn't say everyone, but I can tell you that Regent Park prior to this plan was primarily made up of the poorest of the poor. It was on a whole other level compared to your average subsidized housing. Crime ran rampant through the entire housing blocks. People who could afford to be in another place were. So in this specific case, I'd say his argument lacks merit.

Do you have any facts about the 400/sq ft One Cole condo's being sold to regent park residents? I apologize for questioning you, but I find it extremely hard to believe that it's being sold primarily to the prior residents of the subsidized housing.

If they could afford to buy a $400/sq ft condo I think they would have moved out of there a long time ago.

May 16

Northeast corner of Dundas and Parliament
2499892205_f341e59171_b.jpg

www.Onecole.ca with a Tim Hortons, Sobeys and RBC.

2499892217_d1545e110c_b.jpg

Looking east at the very large site, they are going down two levels.
2499892229_7b4918be70_b.jpg

Dundas/Sackville rental buildings.
2499892231_4cc31a719b_b.jpg

Looking south at the southwest corner of the site.
2499892271_5f8efa0de0_b.jpg

Renders:
http://www.onecole.ca/pdfs/OneColeGarden.pdf

http://www.onecole.ca/pdfs/MEDIA KIT One Cole Building Rendering.pdf

Looks like a reasonably attractive, sensible, urban development. Hopefully it will be a catalyst to gentrify this shitty area!

Back