News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 676     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 938     0 

VIA Rail

Sorry to interject, but I'll be out of work shortly and was planning on posting up in Ottawa for a week or two. Does anyone have experience with what travelling with VIA is like right now?

I'm either going to drive or take the train....I would fly but Porter is still shut down.

Is it a particularly hassle-laden experience on the trains right now?

Much appreciate any input.

Sorry to interject, but I'll be out of work shortly and was planning on posting up in Ottawa for a week or two. Does anyone have experience with what travelling with VIA is like right now?

I'm either going to drive or take the train....I would fly but Porter is still shut down.

I unfortunately haven’t been on board a train since the pandemic hit, but VIA’s website should give you a good overview over what measures are in place:

In general, staff will check that you wear a mask and ask you a few screening questions before boarding, but I haven’t heard anything (neither internally nor through Social Media reports) which would suggest that travelling right now would be a “particularly hassel-laden experience” compared to normally.

However, don’t hesitate to call 1-888-VIA-RAIL if you have any particular concerns and my colleagues will be happy to explain to you what to expect.

In any case, have a safe trip and stay healthy!

I haven’t been on board since COVID hit (withdrawal pains growing) but friends who have tell me that the experience was painless and they had no anxiety provoking moments.

- Paul

I haven’t been on board since COVID hit (withdrawal pains growing) but friends who have tell me that the experience was painless and they had no anxiety provoking moments.

- Paul
Yeah, I take VIA when I need to go to the office and no issue. Even in economy class I was told that seats are left empty for social distancing.

Yeah, I take VIA when I need to go to the office and no issue. Even in economy class I was told that seats are left empty for social distancing.

Finally, 2nd class will be tolerable....saves me some money too.

Yeah, I think I'm going to roll the dice on this one/flip a coin. I'm not sure I can stand wearing my home-made cloth mask for 5 hours. :/
I do prefer the train though.

The biggest challenge for VIA over the next 30 years will not be the introduction of HFR as that's really not much of an accomplishment but rather the financial and logistical challenges of de-carbonising the entire network.

VIA must plan to have, at a minimum, the entire Corridor running emissions-free trains by 2040 which is only 19 short years away. The longer routes can be phased out by 2050 as they are so infrequent. Talking about trying to reduce their footprint means squat, the reality is that it must be done and done quickly and VIA has no real plan in place on how to achieve it. As Ottawa expects all transportation to meet zero emissions by 2050, there is no way in hell that they will let a Crown Corporation, of all things, off the hook.

The biggest challenge for VIA over the next 30 years will not be the introduction of HFR as that's really not much of an accomplishment but rather the financial and logistical challenges of de-carbonising the entire network.

VIA must plan to have, at a minimum, the entire Corridor running emissions-free trains by 2040 which is only 19 short years away. The longer routes can be phased out by 2050 as they are so infrequent. Talking about trying to reduce their footprint means squat, the reality is that it must be done and done quickly and VIA has no real plan in place on how to achieve it. As Ottawa expects all transportation to meet zero emissions by 2050, there is no way in hell that they will let a Crown Corporation, of all things, off the hook.
19 years sounds like a realistic time frame to electrify Corridor operations with a combination of catenary electrification and Hydrogen or batteries, while cascading the Siemens diesel locomotives to other parts of the network. However, the question of how to electrify VIA’s non-Corridor routes is for the host railroads to figure out (as VIA will have little choice than to adopt whatever solution CN and CP implement for their own operations and infrastructure)...

Last edited:

If the freight companies don't do it, it will take the electrification of GO to push Via to do their owned ROW Go back a few pages for the mess of that discussion.

However, the question of how to electrify VIA’s non-Corridor routes is for the host railroads to figure out (as VIA will have little choice than to adopt whatever solution CN and CP implement for their own operations and infrastructure)...
There's no way that CN is going to let them put catenary down the Kingston subdivision. Or has VIA backed away from their promise about continuing frequent Kingston-Ottawa, Kingston-Montreal, and Kingston-Toronto services?

Back