News   Apr 23, 2021
 455     0 
News   Apr 23, 2021
 445     0 

VIA Rail

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
Wasn't one of the many issues with the Turbo the fact that they were a unit, so if one thing needs repair it is not easily removed from the consist?
Yes, but the setup of the maintenance facility available, and the number of funky odd unproven things in the Turbo technology, magnified that.

Operation of fixed trainsets is a proven thing these days - I’d guess that it is actually more prevalent than loose-car train consists.

A lot more thought goes into maintenance processes and facilities, also. Procuring a new fleet often comes with a new maintenance facility or two, custom-built for the model of train.

VIA is already keeping its consists together, and no doubt has structure around when and how consists are changed.

- Paul

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
Semi-permanent couplers are harder to uncouple than standard Tightlock couplers, but when in a maintenance shop, I don't beleive it is all that difficult. If one car did need extra work, they could swap it out if necessary. In general it is the locomotive that has the higher maintenance requirements, which is another reason to use a standard coupler on both ends of it, to make it easier to swap out.

Short of rigid drawbars, which I’m confident is not on, the coupler isn’t the hard part. It’s the wiring, piping, and the diaphragms. As the on board tech intensifies, there may be new data couplings. Power and MU cables and brake lines may be located to protect from the elements and from foreign objects etc. making them more laborious to separate/connect.

Do we know if the HEP is compatible with existing technology? Will the old and new fleets ever comingle, eg can they be J-trained to each other?

Again, I have missed the memo - do we know the diaphragm style? That presentation reads “wide gangways with no doors”?

- Paul

Last edited:

roger1818

Member Bio
Reaction score
VIA is already keeping its consists together, and no doubt has structure around when and how consists are changed.

Agreed. As I mentioned earlier, with the current fleet, only 4 trainsets had cars added and removed (8 changes total) during the week and they were all done overnight at either the MMC or TMC. Interestingly, only on Sundays were all coaches in play.

roger1818

Member Bio
Reaction score
Short of rigid drawbars, which I’m confident is not on, the coupler isn’t the hard part. It’s the wiring, piping, and the diaphragms. As the on board tech intensifies, there may be new data couplings. Power and MU cables and brake lines may be located to protect from the elements and from foreign objects etc. making them more laborious to separate/connect.

That is a good point.
Do we know if the HEP is compatible with existing technology? Will the old and new fleets ever comingle, eg can they be J-trained to each other?

I haven't heard anything one way or the other but given that Amtrak is using Chargers with their existing fleet, and Siemens has been selling Venture trainsets independently of the Chargers, I would be surprised if it isn't compatible. Hardly conclusive though I know.

Again, I have missed the memo - do we know the diaphragm style? That presentation reads “wide gangways with no doors”?

Not really sure, but this Siemens Venture brochure (which includes a drawing of a VIA Charger and VIA's business class interior) says "The semi-permanent coupled configuration creates a comfortable, safe, and fully-ADA compliant transition between coaches" and "Coupled gangways and grab handles on all aisle seats improve safe passage through and between cars." Not sure if that helps.

As for the "no doors" comment, there seem to be automatic doors between the cabin and the vestibule rather than between the vestibule and the gangway.

SunriseChampion

Member Bio
Reaction score
Sorry to interject, but I'll be out of work shortly and was planning on posting up in Ottawa for a week or two. Does anyone have experience with what travelling with VIA is like right now?

I'm either going to drive or take the train....I would fly but Porter is still shut down.

Is it a particularly hassle-laden experience on the trains right now?

Much appreciate any input.

Urban Sky

Member Bio
Reaction score
Sorry to interject, but I'll be out of work shortly and was planning on posting up in Ottawa for a week or two. Does anyone have experience with what travelling with VIA is like right now?

I'm either going to drive or take the train....I would fly but Porter is still shut down.

I unfortunately haven’t been on board a train since the pandemic hit, but VIA’s website should give you a good overview over what measures are in place:

In general, staff will check that you wear a mask and ask you a few screening questions before boarding, but I haven’t heard anything (neither internally nor through Social Media reports) which would suggest that travelling right now would be a “particularly hassel-laden experience” compared to normally.

However, don’t hesitate to call 1-888-VIA-RAIL if you have any particular concerns and my colleagues will be happy to explain to you what to expect.

In any case, have a safe trip and stay healthy!

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score

I haven’t been on board since COVID hit (withdrawal pains growing) but friends who have tell me that the experience was painless and they had no anxiety provoking moments.

- Paul

p_xavier

Member Bio
Reaction score
I haven’t been on board since COVID hit (withdrawal pains growing) but friends who have tell me that the experience was painless and they had no anxiety provoking moments.

- Paul
Yeah, I take VIA when I need to go to the office and no issue. Even in economy class I was told that seats are left empty for social distancing.

Urban Sky

Member Bio
Reaction score
Aww thats a cute excuse by VIA as to why there are empty seats. Bless...
No, it is not. We wouldn’t be running four car trains at the moment (and six-car trains during the early autumn 2020) if we weren’t restricting the number of seats we sell in each car...

SunriseChampion

Member Bio
Reaction score
Yeah, I take VIA when I need to go to the office and no issue. Even in economy class I was told that seats are left empty for social distancing.

Finally, 2nd class will be tolerable....saves me some money too.

Yeah, I think I'm going to roll the dice on this one/flip a coin. I'm not sure I can stand wearing my home-made cloth mask for 5 hours. :/
I do prefer the train though.