News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 567     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 866     0 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

I'm not completely embedded in the technology or the rules but I have never seen a reference to that. There are significant restrictions in Toronto airspace because of the proximity of several airports, but I can see no blanket restrictions to either railways or private property.
Not my field nor use one, but quick check

See Transport Canada Site
https://torontoobserver.ca/2019/01/31/new-drone-rules-keep-toronto-airspace-locked-down/
https://www.toronto-criminal-lawyer.co/canadian-drone-laws/

Keeping Railroads Secure From Drones

RR is private property and illegal to fly over

Last edited:
Ya, ha, me neither, so this is basically a discussion between people who don't really know. I still can't find an absolute prohibition from flying over private property (rendering pretty all of Canada that isn't Crown land) or the assertion that RR property is restricted airspace in TC links. Regardless, our apparent level of knowledge will not solve it.

(BTW, third link didn't work for me)

So planes fly over private properties all the time. Does it make it illegal? Nope.

And according to the Q&A in the third link
What are the laws on flying drones over private property?

Some believe that trespass laws cover the airspace over private property. They don’t unless that intrusion is permanent or interferes with their reasonable enjoyment of their property. A drone overflight might be annoying to some but does not rise to the level of trespassing.

From the Metrolinx wayfinding guidelines:

Looks like GO rail lines are going to receive a letter designation sometime in the future:
1611465891622.png

1611466024810.png

They're going all in with the new T's as well it seems. I personally don't mind it:

1611466093186.png

From the Metrolinx wayfinding guidelines:

Looks like GO rail lines are going to receive a letter designation sometime in the future:
View attachment 295834
View attachment 295835
They're going all in with the new T's as well it seems. I personally don't mind it:

View attachment 295836
Interesting. GO trains used to have letters attached to the lines years ago, although I find it funny that they're swapping the letters so that the letters Ascend west to east rather than being A - Lakeshore West, B - Lakeshore West, and C to G ascending from Milton to Stouffville.

^Ugh, not a fan of that at all. Couldn't they have taken the first letter of the current names? Wonder how much they paid the consultants on this one lol
Look at you, making sense and talking logic! You're supposed to memorize the line names to the ABC song. "Lakeshore West, Milton, Kitchener, Barrie..., Richmond Hill, Stouffville, Lakeshore East, UPx..." How could you forget? It's so obvious!

W — Lakeshore West
E — Lakeshore East
M — Milton
B — Barrie
K — Kitchener
S — Stoufville
R — Richmond Hill
U — Union Pearson

Future
M — Midtown
P — Peterborough
The only one that doesn't work is Bolton.

Regardless, this is all arbitrary, as it was with the TTC nomenclature update. Give it a few weeks after the signs show up and everyone will know what the B train, the D Train, or whatnot is.

What might be interesting is relying on the NYC style of line nomenclature, where the colour denotes the main line, and the number/letter denotes the route. It's not inaccessible but provides useful additional information for platform assignments and whatnot.
For instance, think of the Kitchener line with the bolton line connection as a future main line, and the major color is green, you could have the Following letters for the following routes:

K — Union - Kitchener (Local)
<K> — Union-Kitchener (Peak Express)
P — Pearson
B — Bolton
F — Through Service from Bramalea to Markham via the Stouffville line

Or something along that nomenclature. Of course, it brings in addditional challenges, including the addition of more letters, but it makes standard routing a lot easier for passengers to understand. Instead of passengers: "Is this C Train going to Mount Pleasant, Kitchener, or Pearson?" They can just know what lettered trains they can take right away and use those with ease.

Back