Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

There is no guarantee that The One will get the extension that they are asking for, it's not a done deal yet… but either way, in regards to SkyTower here, yeah, the height of this building is not going to change for exactly the reason @ericmacm states.

Well...they could build the contour lines up to a pointy point to add a few meters. But that idea likely has a snowflake's chance in Hell of ever exiting beyond their boardroom if that idea was considered in the first place. >.<

Well...they could build the contour lines up to a pointy point to add a few meters. But that idea likely has a snowflake's chance in Hell of ever exiting beyond their boardroom if that idea was considered in the first place. >.<
Well, maybe they'll just secretly build a spire inside the penthouse levels, and then raise it up in a surprise move just like what happened at the Chrysler Building in New York on October 23, 1929.

Well, maybe they'll just secretly build a spire inside the penthouse levels, and then raise it up in a surprise move just like what happened at the Chrysler Building in New York on October 23, 1929.

But Toronto's Application to do Something Secret site would give it away!

The secret spire story of the Chrysler Building is a NYC legend... the185 foot spire was built inside the building and then raised from within the core, “like a butterfly 🦋from its cocoon.”*

^ think the quote may be from the architect William Van Alen

Mind you it held the world's tallest crown for less than a year before ESB blew past it by 200 feet. Most astonishing is ESB's construction in just 11 months (not sure if that included shovelling the dirt for foundations ;-).

I consider spires cheating though. :(

I like me some occasional inSPIREd designs but…
Dubai is famous for vanity height (244 metres of the 828 metre Burj Khalifa is spire, nearly 40% of the height of the 321metre Burj Al-Arab is its curved spire etc).

And the CTBUH’s has ridiculous, mind-numbing height criteria. The worst example imo being Willis/Sears huge free-standing spires (masts) don’t count because they are functional so official height is 1451 feet (roof)... but WTC’s glorified antenna, held up with guy wires, counts toward its 1776 (birth of a nation) official height. Which building is taller?

WTC = 1776ft? Willis/Sears = 1451ft?

WTC-Willis.png

Better drawing re: WTC guy wires:

WTC-wires.png

SSP drawings

I like me some occasional inSPIREd designs but…
Dubai is famous for vanity height (244 metres of the 828 metre Burj Khalifa is spire, nearly 40% of the height of the 321metre Burj Al-Arab is its curved spire etc).

And the CTBUH’s has ridiculous, mind-numbing height criteria. The worst example imo being Willis/Sears huge free-standing spires (masts) don’t count because they are functional so official height is 1451 feet (roof)... but WTC’s glorified antenna, held up with guy wires, counts toward its 1776 (birth of a nation) official height. Which building is taller?

WTC = 1776ft? Willis/Sears = 1451ft?

View attachment 292642

Better drawing re: WTC guy wires:

View attachment 292643

SSP drawings
The four antennas of the Willis Tower are held up by small steel tubing on the sides at the bottom, which can only be seen on close-up photos.

I don't really care what the official tallest building is or if spires are "cheating", but IMO spires are cool and would be sick to have one here. Looking forward to the upcoming spire on The Hub, but another one wouldn't hurt!!
Yeah don't forget this 75 meter spire on the future Commerce Court 3

Last edited:

Back