News   May 31, 2024
 806     6 
News   May 31, 2024
 2.8K     1 
News   May 31, 2024
 979     0 

Montréal Transit Developments

Not related to Montréal transit but the BAPE didn't accept the Québec City streetcar project as it didn't do enough for mobility nor speed. The BAPE said a light metro solution was not studied seriously.

Prediction: The CDPQi will be mandated to study the 3rd Link with transit aspects for the whole Québec City region,

Last edited:
Not related to Montréal transit but the BAPE didn't accept the Québec City streetcar project as it didn't do enough for mobility nor speed. The BAPE said a light metro solution was not studied seriously.

Prediction: The CDPQi will be mandated to study the 3rd Link with transit aspects for the whole Québec City region,

More REM's and less LRTs would be a BIG win

So "Subway, subway, subway"? 🤣

Imagine them telling city council to go back to the drawing board on Eglinton Crosstown back in the days because the "light metro was not studied seriously"
-It wasn't

So "Subway, subway, subway"? 🤣

Imagine them telling city council to go back to the drawing board on Eglinton Crosstown back in the days because the "light metro was not studied seriously"
-It wasn't
Yeah, and it should have? Or like LRT is the best choice for Ottawa, even if it'll be the first in the world with such configuration? Both lines should have been high floor light metro, I loathe the BAPE but Ontario make lazy decisions on lazier politics.

More REM's and less LRTs would be a BIG win
I was initially a little suspicious of the report, although after reading other articles of the report I got a better picture (some translations to English were a little inaccurate). Overall sounds the $3 billion will be used better. Trams or surface lrt can be great for city building if coordinated with zoning and pedestrianization in appropriate area's, but in more suburban area's elevated rail or BRT is often proven to be better value for dollar.

I was initially a little suspicious of the report, although after reading other articles of the report I got a better picture (some translations to English were a little inaccurate). Overall sounds the $3 billion will be used better. Trams or surface lrt can be great for city building if coordinated with zoning and pedestrianization in appropriate area's, but in more suburban area's elevated rail or BRT is often proven to be better value for dollar.

I'd hope that QC will eventually make a clear-cut decision on REM vs. tram, instead of building another compromise hybrid solution like Toronto's Eglinton Crosstown (half underground half surface without grade separation, which can cause serious capacity issues down the road). REM will surely cost more than street-level tramway (though $3 billion for a tramway is possibly one of the most expensive tramway projects in NA).

Quick snapshot of the REV on St. Denis and St. Joseph last week.

My impression: it was very heavily used, to the point where there was so much bike "traffic" at certain key intersections (10, 20 bikes waiting).

Drivers are mostly respectful, given the clear signage and concrete curbs at each intersection. The addition of bike signals is much appreciated. The biggest safety issue I've seen: cyclists blocking the bike path (usually those with kids riding along) and some cyclists who like to speed past you without warning.

What I'm looking forward to the most is the opening of the reconstructed Peel Street, which will include a 2nd axis for the REV. The Peel REV will include even more separation and safety barriers (raised concrete path completely separated from traffic and pedestrian sidewalk).

Inked124923976_3769335886452336_1722950212203108874_n_LI.jpg

REV on Peel (under construction):
1605111089843.png

Back