Toronto OnePark West | ?m | 13s | Daniels | Core Architects

Well stated. Regent Park will be a dramatically different neighbourhood once it is rebuilt. The previous low income residents were pushed out to the edge of town, and will likely not be able to afford to return. With this shift in the composition of the neighbourhood, it will only be a matter of time until the rest of this area is "cleaned up" through relocation.

Really I could care less, Regent Park has kept the east side of Toronto from growing and developing like the west side.

I wonder why Sobey's chose to put their luxury rip off line of grocery stores here instead of their discount Price Chopper?

Come to think of it, where's the nearest Price Chopper to here? I can pinpoint closer No Frills and Food Basics...

Huh? This will be Metro social housing (with strict qualifications to apply). There will be no university grads who can afford 2k a month in rent (let alone anyone who can afford 1k a month).

I was making a generalization, but my point was the residents who lived there before will not be the people coming back. This was a strategic plan from the beginning to ensure they wouldn't come back.

And I wasn't saying it's a bad idea either. I also think it was an excellent move that makes a lot of sense for Toronto as a whole. This is very similar to the improvement of Harlem in Manhattan.

The silent point of the Revitalization Plan was to push away the low income people and bring in a new middle class. Regent Park takes up a lot of land. Very valuable land at that. But it was not being used to its full potential because of the low income residents. So in order to best use theland from an economic standpoint, their move was to decide there will be one giant redevelopment project as opposed to slow gentrification, effectively forcing the low income residents out to places like Scarborough and other lower income areas. When it's all finished and people are ready to move back (years from now) it will be too expensive to afford, and they'll have already set up new lives in other areas and won't bother trying to move back. It will no longer be their home.

Yeah, The point is to create a more mixed income neighbourhood with the added bonus of subsidizing the replacement costs of the current substandard housing.

I'm not sure about your conspriacy though as those currently living in the phase 2 and 3 blocks have first dibs on the new rent geared to income units which is also one of the reasons this first block has four times the number of RGI units as any of the later blocks ... to limit further relocations to outside the neighbourhood.

Really I could care less, Regent Park has kept the east side of Toronto from growing and developing like the west side.

I think you mean "I couldn't care less".. If you could care less then it means there are many things that you care less about. However if you couldn't care less then it means you couldn't possibly have anything below this to care about.

the most expensive grocery brand.

Huh? Sobeys is crap. Is it really more expensive than Loblaws? Sobey's is filled with Compliments brand to the point it is hard to find anything else and that brand has managed to screw up products I thought impossible to screw up. I would be surprised if Sobeys was actually charging more for that stuff.

Yeah, The point is to create a more mixed income neighbourhood with the added bonus of subsidizing the replacement costs of the current substandard housing.

I'm not sure about your conspriacy though as those currently living in the phase 2 and 3 blocks have first dibs on the new rent geared to income units which is also one of the reasons this first block has four times the number of RGI units as any of the later blocks ... to limit further relocations to outside the neighbourhood.

You can call it a conspiracy if you like, but it's not exactly hard to comprehend. This city makes its decisions based on economic factors primarily. That's what has happened.

There are a lot of small things taking place which will drive these people away. Sobeys is a great little example. When higher income retail shops surround the new development which none of the old residents can afford that is another factor pushing them away. When the condos are all filled with middle class residents, that in itself will be a push factor for the previous residents.

I won't argue. But look at the project after completion and see how many of the original residents are left. It won't be many.

According to the documents on regentpark.ca, the current population is about 7500. The post-revitilization population will be 12 500. While the plan calls for the return of all of the current residents, the planning documents call for fewer social housing units, 1905 down from 2087. Still, that would mean the vast majority of current residents will be able to move back.

That said, if the neighbourhood does actually move on up, then, while the current residents have the change to stay, those low-income residents in the surrounding neighbourhood may be forced out. I think that's the bigger problem.

This city makes its decisions based on economic factors primarily

I am not sure what city you live in but last I checked the left wing of the NDP run this city - not exactly modern day robber-barrons.

That said, if the neighbourhood does actually move on up, then, while the current residents have the change to stay, those low-income residents in the surrounding neighbourhood may be forced out. I think that's the bigger problem.

Most of the surrounding area that isn't social housing is not populated by poor people. North of Dundas is Cabbagetown. Try finding a poor person living there.

There will be about 1/3rd fewer affordable units than there were before in the first phase.

Yeah, there's a lot more market priced housing than I was expecting according to that picture. I guess they're performing a balancing act and making sure they've attracted as much middle class to this area as possible in the first phase before building tons of TCHC housing. Maybe the other phases will include more affordable housing?

Back