News   Mar 28, 2024
 342     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 272     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 301     0 

Toronto Centre & York Centre Byelections, 2020

I suspect the Liberals are the favorites in York Centre. It is an incredibly diverse riding, with large blocs of Jewish, Filipino, Russian and Black voters.

Ya, have only seen Liberal signs up so far.
Typically campaigning in the area is about who's the most jewish, but a Filipino CPC candidate could pull a lot of votes.

Does anyone live in Toronto Centre? Is there any indication of a byelection? The usual indicator - lawn signs - are hard to find in an area with few front yards, save for North Cabbagetown.

Does anyone live in Toronto Centre? Is there any indication of a byelection? The usual indicator - lawn signs - are hard to find in an area with few front yards, save for North Cabbagetown.
By-elections never generate much buzz and this one is in a VERY safe Liberal constituency and is being held during a pandemic. I have seen several Liberal and one Green sign so far.

By-elections never generate much buzz and this one is in a VERY safe Liberal constituency and is being held during a pandemic. I have seen several Liberal and one Green sign so far.

The two provincial byelections last year (pre-COVID) had a turnout in the low 20s. Wouldn’t surprise me if this byelection drops to the teens.

I do, 22 years now and have never heard the term North Cabbagetown. Where is that?

Below is Cabbagetown as denoted by its residents. http://www.cabbagetowninfo.com/. Anything else is a realtor‘s construct or a property investor’s wishful thinking.

CabbagetownMap.jpg

As for the election, I’m voting for Annamie Paul of the Green Party. A vote for any other candidate is a vote for the Liberals.

I do, 22 years now and have never heard the term North Cabbagetown. Where is that?

Below is Cabbagetown as denoted by its residents. http://www.cabbagetowninfo.com/. Anything else is a realtor‘s construct or a property investor’s wishful thinking.

CabbagetownMap.jpg

As for the election, I’m voting for Annamie Paul of the Green Party. A vote for any other candidate is a vote for the Liberals.

If you do not want the Liberal candidate to win, it would probably be best to vote NDP as they did FAR better than Ms Paul in 2019

torcent.jpg

Though I agree that many people do not subdivide Cabbagetown, there are actually four separate Heritage Conservation Districts.
(North PDF, Northwest PDF, Metcalfe PDF , South PDF) See: https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...tage-conservation-districts-planning-studies/

If you do not want the Liberal candidate to win, it would probably be best to vote NDP as they did FAR better than Ms Paul in 2019

View attachment 275946

Though I agree that many people do not subdivide Cabbagetown, there are actually four separate Heritage Conservation Districts.
(North PDF, Northwest PDF, Metcalfe PDF , South PDF) See: https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...tage-conservation-districts-planning-studies/

In fairness, Paul was not the leader then.

I would expect at least some bump from that; and the associated additional media attention.

Interesting the Cabbagetown North document uses maps from the 1800's, when “Cabbagetown“ referred to the area where Regent Park is now, whilst what they're referring to as CT North was called Donvale.

I still defer to the residents. There is no Cabbagetown North. There is a south though.

Last edited:
That’s a good point. I’m not seeing any NDP signs anywhere, I forgot about them. I voted NDP provincially.

I usually support the NDP, and the guy they're running this time - Brian Chang - is the same candidate as in the 2019 general election. He's a really good guy, but given the Liberal entitlement on display here, I might just vote Paul this time to send a message.

Ya, have only seen Liberal signs up so far.
Typically campaigning in the area is about who's the most jewish, but a Filipino CPC candidate could pull a lot of votes.

My parents live in York Centre. There are two different election flyers being dropped, even within the same building. One for Jewish voters (with the usual "biggest supporter of Israel!" claims) and a different one for the goyim.

I rode my bike around York Centre last weekend and was surprised by the number of Conservative signs. If the "sign war" is any indication, they may do a bit better than expected.

As for Toronto-Centre, I live there and will not vote Liberal either, despite the fact that they will almost certainly win. NDP or Green for me. I may go Green as well to send a stronger message to both the Liberals, and to the NDP to be frank. The great thing about Toronto Centre is that it's almost like having a different election system. You can do what you like and the Conservatives still won't win.

Voted today at St. Simon‘s church at Bloor and Parliament. Voted Green. I don’t see any NDP signs anywhere, but about 50/50 Lib and Green. Trudeau thinks this riding is in the bag, I hope at least we rattle him a little this time.

I usually support the NDP, and the guy they're running this time - Brian Chang - is the same candidate as in the 2019 general election. He's a really good guy, but given the Liberal entitlement on display here, I might just vote Paul this time to send a message.
That was what I intended. Justin and Toronto Centre need a shakeup.

Back