Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

^ An image from the website to shown the line and when the next report will be released. I don't see the track plan image shown in the blog in the ECR, so maybe they'll release those through the blog since it mentions the post is the first in the series?

1600356569417.png

Okay, so people replying to Munro's tweet point out that this isn't the actual EA. This is just the environmental conditions report. The actual EA with project details should come later this year

^ An image from the website to shown the line and when the next report will be released. I don't see the track plan image shown in the blog in the ECR, so maybe they'll release those through the blog since it mentions the post is the first in the series?

View attachment 269975

This might be a dumb question, but are we even getting an EA for this (at least in the form that we're all familiar with)? I ask, because on the Metrolinx Engage website, they only list two future reports planned for release for the Ontario Line: The Early Works Report and the Environmental Impact Assessment Report. Neither of those reports sounds like they'll include the details we'd typically expect to be disclosed in an EA, particularly around ridership.

It's interesting to see they also included west of Overlea / Don Mills for the line to potentially go up the CP Rail. It would be interesting to see if they screwover the low poverty areas of thorncliffe/flemo. Obviously not happy with what was produced but its moving forward and I like that. Just wish they would get the shovels in the ground

The Liberty Village station should be underground with a concourse section above it to connect with both the Exhibition and the new King Liberty GO station and would also be further north and actually be under Liberty Village. And it could include an underground streetcar loop for the 509, 511, and one of the 504s.

As far as their propaganda pieces go, this one at least includes a map/diagram. That's an improvement on their usual fluff.

The part about the oldest bar in Toronto not being torn down is kind of silly though. Are we supposed to give them a pat on the back for that? Thanks for not destroying the neighbourhood Metrolinx!

We've already gotten a 'blog' about the terrors of dark tunnels and escalators. I'm sure we'll be getting another one in short order about the burden of long station platforms.

Disappointing that we're not getting more concrete info at this point.

Indeed, the Spadina & Queen example one is about 95m long going by the Google Maps measurement tool.

That's not terrible is it? If trains are 3.1m wide, you get about 800 people per train (TTC loading standards), and a capacity of 32,000pphpd @ 90 second frequencies. Since passenger flows determine whether 90 second frequencies will be achievable the downtown platforms will need to be quite wide with several exits.

Since they haven't released any vehicle details, it's hard to say.

From everything that's been communicated, the plan is to use smaller, light rail type vehicles already used in other cities (such as the Docklands Light Railway in London). In that case, there's no way the trains will be 3.1m wide. That's almost the same width as the Toronto Rocket.

We're probably looking at vehicles about 2.6m - 2.7m.

As far as their propaganda pieces go, this one at least includes a map/diagram. That's an improvement on their usual fluff.

The part about the oldest bar in Toronto not being torn down is kind of silly though. Are we supposed to give them a pat on the back for that? Thanks for not destroying the neighbourhood Metrolinx!

We've already gotten a 'blog' about the terrors of dark tunnels and escalators. I'm sure we'll be getting another one in short order about the burden of long station platforms.

Disappointing that we're not getting more concrete info at this point.
Well its probably something they got questions about during Open Houses, so they saw it fit to specify that the bar won't be destroyed. There is a lot to criticize about the handling of information on the side of Metrolinx, what they did here is decent.

Also good job completely missing the point about the tunnels blog post!

The Liberty Village station should be underground with a concourse section above it to connect with both the Exhibition and the new King Liberty GO station and would also be further north and actually be under Liberty Village. And it could include an underground streetcar loop for the 509, 511, and one of the 504s.

Well, the budget for that went to Eglinton West I guess!

AoD

Since they haven't released any vehicle details, it's hard to say.

From everything that's been communicated, the plan is to use smaller, light rail type vehicles already used in other cities (such as the Docklands Light Railway in London). In that case, there's no way the trains will be 3.1m wide. That's almost the same width as the Toronto Rocket.

We're probably looking at vehicles about 2.6m - 2.7m.

That is possible, but the IBC stated that the assumed size is 3x100, with a capacity of 29,300- 34,000. The details will be decided by the bidders.

The REM in Montreal is 3x76 in 4-car configuration. The Ontario line can have a similar rolling stock with 5 cars to make a 95m train.

Again, we won't know until the bids are released.

That is possible, but the IBC stated that the assumed size is 3x100, with a capacity of 29,300- 34,000. The details will be decided by the bidders.

The REM in Montreal is 3x76 in 4-car configuration. The Ontario line can have a similar rolling stock with 5 cars to make a 95m train.

Again, we won't know until the bids are released.

Unfortunately "we won't know" seems to be an ongoing theme with this project.

Well its probably something they got questions about during Open Houses, so they saw it fit to specify that the bar won't be destroyed. There is a lot to criticize about the handling of information on the side of Metrolinx, what they did here is decent.

Also good job completely missing the point about the tunnels blog post!

No, I think I got the point. It's PR, devoid of any substance.

I wonder why their revelations on cost savings and the supposed detriments of underground travel are not being applied to the EWLRT nor SSE.

Last edited:

Back