Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
It's called transparency & feedback.

I prefer constructive feedback than no feedback at all. How else is one supposed to improve? We would be stuck in time if nobody shared anything except "nice things".

I agree. "if you don't have anything nice.." is something a mother would tell her 5 y/o.

Not to mention this is UT. It's falling on deaf ears amongst a crowd that reaches savage levels of negativity towards the city's uglier developments.

If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. ;)
It's called transparency & feedback.

I prefer constructive feedback than no feedback at all. How else is one supposed to improve? We would be stuck in time if nobody shared anything except "nice things".
I agree. "if you don't have anything nice.." is something a mother would tell her 5 y/o.

Not to mention this is UT. It's falling on deaf ears amongst a crowd that reaches savage levels of negativity towards the city's uglier developments.
I try to respond to all Daily Photo suggestions in the Forum. This shot is blurry from excessive digital zoom with a misaligned horizon. We don't frown on cell phone shots at all, and we feature them regularly. We also strive to pick the best available photos, so if something is blurred and pixelated to oblivion, it's never going to be in the running.

wow. “You suck” basically. (And the backhands continue on here)
Not even close to a "you suck"
any picture of a project is worthy... at least should be.
Well, no. If any picture was worthy, it wouldn't be Daily Photo. It'd be "arbitrarily selected photo"

"Not to mention this is UT. It's falling on deaf ears amongst a crowd that reaches savage levels of negativity towards the city's uglier developments."

Kotsy's comment gave me a 'suggestion idea' for Ed's consideration... UT-wear.

Start with this, but don't use the (ironic) boxy UT logo on the T-shirt - something discreet instead.

51PEdolYpnL._SY500_.jpg

SAVAGES

Crap photo or not, it does continue to demonstrate the reflective dynamics of the respective diamond cladding...which seems to be taking on a life of its own.
...I should say for clarification, that I not in anyway suggesting of what should end up on the DP - that is at the sole discretion of the admin for this site, regardless of my opinion of it. I was merely pointing out something dynamic was captured. And whether it ends up on the DP or the round files of public opinion doesn't detract from that, IMO.

I try to respond to all Daily Photo suggestions in the Forum. This shot is blurry from excessive digital zoom with a misaligned horizon. We don't frown on cell phone shots at all, and we feature them regularly. We also strive to pick the best available photos, so if something is blurred and pixelated to oblivion, it's never going to be in the running.

Not even close to a "you suck"

Well, no. If any picture was worthy, it wouldn't be Daily Photo. It'd be "arbitrarily selected photo"
Ok? 😶 I’ll end with this it’s a great photo. And elsewhere can appreciate it better.

...I should say for clarification, that I not in anyway suggesting of what should end up on the DP - that is at the sole discretion of the admin for this site, regardless of my opinion of it. I was merely pointing out something dynamic was captured. And whether it ends up on the DP or the round files of public opinion doesn't detract from that, IMO.
Some Midtowner's comment was in the context of Daily photo. The discussion shouldn't revolve around whether the photo is good or not but rather if it's fit to use for Daily Photo or not.

Some Midtowner's comment was in the context of Daily photo. The discussion shouldn't revolve around whether the photo is good or not but rather if it's fit to use for Daily Photo or not.
That horse had already left the barn when Mr. MidTowner declared, "To start, it's not a good photo." So I think it's okay to discuss this outside whether it's good enough for the DP, which I agree is another subject matter.

Just because a photo shows something cool, doesn't make a photo a "good" photo. But photography is an art, and art is subjective. On the other hand, there is such a thing as a photo that's technically bad and technically good, based on many factors.
You won't get any disagreement from me on that. Nor have I stated it was good...rather it just captured something intriguing. :)

Last edited:
No doubt it was an intriguing photo, which once again showed off how insanely unique CIBC square can be at any time of day.

However as Midtowner went on to further explain, it is still a bad photo. A photo capturing something unique and interesting doesnt inherently make it good, nor does a photo capturing something bland and boring make it inherently bad.

While the subject can add or subtract from the final product overall, it doesn't ultimately determine the quality of a photo. The quality of a photo is based on technicality, and the aforementioned photo is technically flawed in many areas as explained above.

So yes the subject being CIBC square improves your impression of the piece overall because of the subjective nature of photography and the fact that in this case most people like the subject of the photo. If you dont like CIBC square though, then this photo goes from bad to worse because the subject is no longer the redeeming quality.

So yes you can still like the photo for what it showcases, but that doesnt by any means make it a good photo, simply interesting at best.

I think we're all in agreement on that point now...

...let's see moar pics of the thread at hand, since we've gotten that out of that way. :)

Last edited:

Back