News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 835     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

It's the Wireless Cartel of: Bell, Rogers, and Telus who are refusing to use the existing infrastructure that exists in the subway system.

They argue that they need to install their own infrastructure in order to provide wireless service, but understandably the TTC doesnt want to have X amount of cabling throughout the tunnels as is just overly complicates subway maintenance work.
Freedom gives you the freedom from the wireless cartel.

It's excellent when it comes to much of Line 1, terrible when far from major population centres.

Wifi aboard vehicles is never stable. I tried it on Megabus UK a couple years ago and the signal was so poor that it was easier to just to use my data connection.

Wifi on a bus that goes to the middle of nowhere versus a subway with relay stations in the tunnel feet from the subway vehicles are two completely different things.

Not neccesarily. Still having to connect to various routers along the way.

No. Youre wrong. Its 100% different.

the WiFi on a Megabus uses the data cellular network from a cell provider like Rogers to connect to 4G towers and then re-transmit that to devices within the bus, using a 2.4g wifi router system. Usually a couple of access points within the bus.

This is a MUCH more fragile and error prone system. The points of failure are in the limited capacity to handle many access points within the bus using the routing technology, then the conversion to a 4g signal, the limited bandwidth of a single 4G signal (rarely is more than one 4g connection used, its too expensive) and the availability of a strong 4g service along the Megabus routes in the open air.

The BAI tunnel system would be an entirely managed ethernet system from transmission access points within an enclosed tunnel environment, free from most outside radiation and mere meters from the subway trains, that would be connected to BAI's backbone and direct dedicated ISP connection to the outside world.

Its so far from being different its not even apples and oranges, its like apples and cars.

The rest of the content is behind a paywall however.

Ontario could receive $1 billion in transit funding under the federal government’s “safe restart” agreement with provinces battling COVID-19, the Star has learned.

Infrastructure Minister Catherine McKenna is expected to announce Ottawa will match up to $1.8 billion of provincial and territorial funding “to support local public transit” in the provinces, according to documents reviewed by the Star.

The transit funding is part of the $19-billion package announced by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau last week to help provinces reopen their economies during COVID-19.

Ontario’s share of that available funding is $1 billion, according to documents reviewed by the Star. A federal government source told the Star that the total will depend on how much Premier Doug Ford’s government matches the federal contribution, dollar for dollar.

“Essential, front-line workers need good public transit, parents need child care, public health must be able to track and contain disease outbreaks, everyone requires personal protective equipment, and vulnerable communities — including seniors — need enhance support as Canada gradually reopens while containing the spread of COVID-19,” one document reads.

The federal government’s funding announcement last week was welcomed by Mayor John Tory and other GTA mayors and regional chairs, who had been pleading with Ottawa and Queen’s Park to come to an agreement to bail them out of budget shortfalls caused by the pandemic.

In Toronto, city staff have calculated a $1.35-billion shortfall that is largely driven by a loss of $700 million to the TTC.

The TTC is the country’s busiest system, which had been carrying about 1.8 million people on an average weekday. It relies on fare proceeds for about two-thirds of its operating budget, and the pandemic caused its ridership and revenue to almost evaporate overnight. By late April, passenger volumes hit a low of about 14 per cent of normal levels, and the TTC said it was losing more than $20 million a week.

Riders are starting to return as the city and province open up, but municipal staff expect ridership to stay well below pre-crisis levels at least through the fall.

To help deal with its financial crisis, the TTC launched a cost-containment strategy in May that included reducing service to about 85 per cent of pre-pandemic levels, freezing planned wage increases, and deferring new hires. The agency also delayed millions of dollars in planned capital work on the transit system, and announced it would temporarily lay off 1,200 employees. As of last week it had only completed about half of the planned layoffs.

Speaking last week before details of the federal funding were announced, TTC CEO Rick Leary said Ottawa’s promise of financial aid to transit systems was recognition of how important public transportation will be to Canada’s post-COVID economic recovery.

Leary said he hoped the package would be enough to prevent any further layoffs at the TTC and allow the agency to restore pre-crisis service levels.

While the transit funding will come as a relief to cities like Toronto, it’s not clear whether additional conditions attached to the remaining funds will allow the city to make up the remainder of the shortfall.

Cellular Data is not Wifi....
Correct. I misspoke. I meant to say coverage. Free wifi shouldnt be a priority. It’s not essential to transportation and the vast majority of people have a data plan. Unless the big 3 telcos fund it (doubtful), I’d rather the city invest in more service and not frills like wifi.

Was scrolling around on google maps, and I noticed a bunch of parked buses along with some other random stuff in a field next to Mt Dennis Garage:
1595960155478.png

Does the TTC own this property? If so, maybe they could move the sound barrier wall a bit over, pave over the field to add more bus capacity. Might help alleviate the TTC bus garage shortage situation. There's probably enough room to park 70+ or maybe even 100+ buses depending how the buses are parked.

It might also be possible to add these pipe things like at Birchmount and Eglinton garages which I assume are for refueling? (experts here, correct me if that's not the case)
1595961598740.png

Was scrolling around on google maps, and I noticed a bunch of parked buses along with some other random stuff in a field next to Mt Dennis Garage:
View attachment 260353
Does the TTC own this property? If so, maybe they could move the sound barrier wall a bit over, pave over the field to add more bus capacity. Might help alleviate the TTC bus garage shortage situation. There's probably enough room to park 70+ or maybe even 100+ buses depending how the buses are parked.

It might also be possible to add these pipe things like at Birchmount and Eglinton garages which I assume are for refueling? (experts here, correct me if that's not the case)
View attachment 260359
If they have the bus, sure.

Back