News   Apr 25, 2024
 606     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 505     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 753     0 

Holt Renfrew Renovations (50 Bloor West, Morguard, 2s, Gensler)

though an update was needed, i'm not liking what i'm seeing. The see-through green glass, grey mullions and metal/spandrel don't work with the stone treatment and it looks jumbled up IMO. Black trim and mullions and darker, more reflective glass would look cleaner and more high-end.

Agreed. The end result here looks half baked, and frankly not much better than the typical Yorkdale or Sherway Gardens expansion exterior.

though an update was needed, i'm not liking what i'm seeing. The see-through green glass, grey mullions and metal/spandrel don't work with the stone treatment and it looks jumbled up IMO. Black trim and mullions and darker, more reflective glass would look cleaner and more high-end.
Agreed as well.
Feels more low end office commercial or medical, than anything inspiring me to go in and shop.
Blech.

02BC533A-224D-4C9C-BB1C-AA048A965815.jpeg
7F3AD03F-DE70-4977-930A-7E58C4249A8E.jpeg

Not changing the location of the flags is a welcome surprise (hopefully it won't change)- I disliked how in the renderings, the flags were relocated awkwardly to one side.

holt-renfrew-bloor-facade-jpeg.184033

I agree though that the signage needs to be more distinguishable- a darker, bronzer colour would have been nice. Maybe it might look different once the interior lighting comes on?

I'd much rather have a posh masonry bunker than a soulless all glass bunker. And one doesn't have to go too far to see what that looks like: Manulife Centre. YUCK!
I always feel dismayed when we argue of which is the less of 2 evils. /sigh

It's hard to tell from the pics but you get a much deeper view into the store at grade with the new renovations vs before. It looks like most of the ground floor treatment will be way more transparent compared to how it previously was. Some of the storefront areas are still papered over but one was open - I'll try and grab a photo tonight.

Looks good (apart from the illegible signage).
The flags do seem a bit oversized.

I would have preferred 3 vertical flagpoles offset and attached to the facade, like this:
HeaTA2a.png

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EB9Es1dWsAEscYw?format=jpg&name=360x360

Or, if angled out, allow us to see the base / attachment point.
The way they extend from the roof, they look unfinished and you think they're held down by sandbags.

Back