News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 649     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 925     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

My question is, can we get iPhone and Android NFC support to use a device as a presto card to pay for transit and verify presto passes. Is it possible with current presto readers? and if so, why has it been so hard and why is it taking so long to implement it?

I suspect it's not hardware issue with the readers but rather a software issue with the way the readers, cards, and the system communicates. We've had lots of conversations saying that the current implementation of the Presto system (not internect connected, data stored on cards, limited space on card, etc.) are fundamental problems with the Presto system being developed in an old fashion way. These problems may make it hard or maybe impossible to implement tapping on readers using smart devices. Another issue is whether or not they will clone your Physical Presto Card, Cut and Paste (physical onr no longer usable), or completely digital. Bascially the system was not designed for the with constant internect connectivity in mind and may require an overhaul.

Similar cards (where balance and transaction info is stored primarily on the card as the authoritative copy, then synced to/from readers for changes with the central system) e.g. Suica in Japan are Apple Pay-compatible through migrating the card to the iPhone and invalidating the physical card. I believe that Presto is entirely capable of doing the same thing, but maybe they don't think the "invalidate the physical card" thing is a good user experience so they're waiting to make changes to the system so that it can exist as a separate copy. TTC for that matter may prefer to just wait for credit/debit payment at which point apple pay is naturally accepted. But the current readers aren't a limitation, the iPhone is capable of convincingly pretending it's a presto card so there wouldn't necessarily even be a way for the readers to know there's any difference from an actual card.

Also I believe Apple used to have things a bit more locked down for Apple Pay, and only opened things up one or two years ago. And then from that point there's the glacial pace at which Metrolinx and Accenture move.

Anyone else run into this issue with Presto?

I am trying to sign into my online account and it seems to go nowhere no matter what device I'm trying to sign in on. Username and Password are entered, I hit login, and then nothing happens at all. No page loading, no incorrect username/password message... nothing.

I have even tried changing my password several times over the past few days and still have the same issue. Any solutions?

Tested out the new beta on iOS yesterday to see how the NFC card reading works. It's not especially intuitive, but you can swipe to the blank card screen and from there you can Check Balance on any card instantly with NFC. Worked well, from what I could tell. I don't need to add any funds to my card so I didn't test that out, but in theory you should be able to instantly add funds to a card the same way.

Brampton Transit launches new PRESTO loyalty program

If you are too lazy to read the article, starting today, Brampton Transit is launching a fare loyalty program for Presto users where you get free trips for the rest of the week after your 12th trip. Transfers from other agencies and GO co-fares don't count towards the loyalty program. The one week period is from Monday to Sunday and they will continue to sell weekly passes. This is essentially identical to MiWay's loyalty program which is incredibly convenient for fare simplicity.

If you are too lazy to read the article, starting today, Brampton Transit is launching a fare loyalty program for Presto users where you get free trips for the rest of the week after your 12th trip. Transfers from other agencies and GO co-fares don't count towards the loyalty program. The one week period is from Monday to Sunday and they will continue to sell weekly passes. This is essentially identical to MiWay's loyalty program which is incredibly convenient for fare simplicity.

Can't see the accountants in charge of the TTC doing this.

Just in addition, back in 2019, Metrolinx said they would start testing open payment this year. Anyone know if that's still happening?

Now see.. this is why I hate Toronto.

This sort of reader would be useful in Toronto but there are too many whackadoodles here that would find a reason to call the human rights commission or sue the TTC on privacy grounds.

This sort of reader would be useful in Toronto but there are too many whackadoodles here that would find a reason to call the human rights commission or sue the TTC on privacy grounds.
Luckily, the Crosstown stations and presumably the Finch West stations will have the new readers. From the Metrolinx engage page:

"Fare Collection Systems will be installed to the latest PRESTO standards for the system – similar to those currently being installed at GO Stations. In regards to turning on open payment, that decision will rest with the TTC, who will be operating the future Line 5 [Eglinton Crosstown]."

According to the documentary, Let's All Hate Toronto, the city that hates Toronto the most is Toronto itself.

Through self-criticism can we improve, albeit in theory.

According to the documentary, Let's All Hate Toronto, the city that hates Toronto the most is Toronto itself.

Through self-criticism can we improve, albeit in theory.

Years ago I watched a woman call the TTC at Kennedy Station to complain about how a bus was so full that she was incredibly inconvenienced because it went past her.

She actually had the phone number written down in her purse so she could call when needed.

My father was an operator from 1989 to 2019 and there were more than a few people on the radar as chronic complainers who would complain if the ride was too bumpy or if they were forced to deal with other people on their trip

It doesn't even need to be launched as a gimmicky loyalty program. Simply, once you've hit the amount of a daily pass or a monthly pass, it should stop charging you on the TTC.

IMG_20200722_131319.jpg
🤔

Back