News   May 03, 2024
 343     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 253     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 136     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Also, it doesn't seem very effective if one passenger is sitting in the aisle seat and someone is trying to get past them to the window seat. The aisle seat occupant would be breathing into the other person's direction.

While this is true; assuming the person whose breath you are passing through is not a super spreader, or highly symptomatic, transmission wouldn't be that likely from momentary exposure.

Transmissibility, to my understanding, is a function of viral load x length of exposure.

Let's see what AMA says.

I asked, on Twitter:

"Has Metrolinx sought approval from Transport Canada for this? I would be concerned about the implications in the event of a collision/derailment/other emergency."

AMA has answered:

"Yes, rail division ensures anything new on trains is approved "

Cooksville GO passengers: Starting Friday, July 3, regular train service resumes on the 8:16 a.m. and 8:59 a.m. eastbound trains to Union Station.

6 car trains on the Lakeshore line are sending passenger running along the platform to catch the train.

There is a warning announced, but it just says that the train is short and to pay attention as it comes into the station.

Trains seem to be holding to make sure everyone makes it on though.

6 car trains on the Lakeshore line are sending passenger running along the platform to catch the train.

There is a warning announced, but it just says that the train is short and to pay attention as it comes into the station.

Trains seem to be holding to make sure everyone makes it on though.
Saw that today too. The announcement at Rouge Hill specifically mentioned it was six cars. Can’t remember if it informed passengers of the markers along the platform. A couple of passengers had to run to the cab car. One of them almost didn’t make it. Luckily the crew saw her.

I remember shorter trains on weekends when I was a kid. Kinda interesting to see them again.

Is two way all day from Kitchener to Union and then the 60 min from mount pleasant and 15 from bramalea? cuz I see work done west of Georgetown along Highway 7

^ It's work to make some improvements between Kitchener and Georgetown. I don't think we know yet how much service will be increased because of covid-19. Will likely make some running time improvements. cc @crs1026

^ ML stated a target trip time improvement in one of the town halls, but I can’t recall the exact number off the top of my head.

The more important gain is actually capacity. Right now it’s impossible to run counter peak service because there is nowhere for trains to meet each other. Replacing sidings at Acton, Rock Cut, and Guelph will fix that. That augers well for better servive for both VIA and GO. An early morning westbound train to Kitchener from Toronto, and a return in late afternoon, is vital. Whether the intended frequency happens post-covid is a secondary issue.

- Paul

This is one of those persistent insanely frustrating issues. Frequency beyond Brampton is NICE, but reverse commute to Kitchener, has been for decades and all parties have been dragging their feet.

Same as all the other non-Lakeshore routes, and even that in respect of Hamilton.

I really like the idea of counter-peak and off-peak in Hamilton.

We're just 2 decades behind in growing our commuter rails services to where they need to be.

We appear to be making progress, but much more to come, hopefully.

Same as all the other non-Lakeshore routes, and even that in respect of Hamilton.

I really like the idea of counter-peak and off-peak in Hamilton.

We're just 2 decades behind in growing our commuter rails services to where they need to be.

We appear to be making progress, but much more to come, hopefully.

The focus has been on Barrie and Stouffville double tracking simply because of how easy it is for Metrolinx as they completely own the lines.

But id argue that Georgetown corridor aka Kitchener Line is the most important.

This is one of those persistent insanely frustrating issues. Frequency beyond Brampton is NICE, but reverse commute to Kitchener, has been for decades and all parties have been dragging their feet.

I wish it was only foot dragging over a controversial plan that eventually won the day.
The actual history was worse.
There was an EA done around 2009 which laid out a quite reasonable path forward to double track west of Georgetown. There was also work done in that era to plan triple tracking through Brampton. All of this was to build on the Georgetown South project, which was called "South" because it was to do the required preparatory work east of Bramalea to accommodate a high quality GO service all the way to Kitchener. Georgetown South, along with the West Toronto Diamond, actually got put into play via the GO Trip initiative. There were a few embellishments - ie the Weston Trench was added - but the plan was pretty clear and well laid out. For an example, see this ML Board Document from 2009.
But then came Kathleen Wynne and ML who announced first RER, and then Union Pearson Express. UPE was a vanity project that was a must-do commitment to attract the 2015 Pan-Am games. With UP becoming must-do for 2015, money that would have been used to improve GO was diverted to overspends attributable to problems in the UPE realm. The planned GO expansion was deferred and downgraded.
Then came an even more grandiose 2014 election promise to build an HSR line to KW. That promise was so out of the blue that then-Transport Minister Glenn Murray had to rush out to KW to explain to the municipal pols that it was just an aspiration and nothing would actually be in the works for several years.
Of course, no one had cinched any of this up with CN, who became increasingly opposed to the appropriation of their freight assets for passenger trains. That led first to a stalemate negotiation re adding track to the Halton Subdivision, and when that went nowhere, the equally grandiose Missing Link was proposed to give CN a new completely separate line. That led to two years of new studies and negotiations to try and get CN on side.
Of course, as this progressed, it became apparent that the price tag was out of reach. So the whole thing was stillborn. If one reviews the amount of money actually spent on KW GO during the Wynne years, it's apparent that nothing - even simple incremental things like fixing the Guelph slow order - was ever seriously pursued.
And then Doug Ford entered the picture, to the horror of many of us. Oddly, Ford seems to have endorsed a basic, feet-on-the-ground expansion. CN appears to have been mollified, Money is flowing and construction crews are out there on the line.

I'm sure there were backroom twists and turns that we don't even know about.... but even with what we know, it has been ten years of false starts, grandiose announcements, studies and restudies, restatements and changes in direction...and bloody little actually getting done.

But that's transit planning in Ontario for you.

- Paul

Last edited:
It's interesting to me how unprepared people can be especially given the unprecedented times. If you dont even know about GO service changes is it any wonder "people" dont know much about covid or other tensions in today's world?

A friend of mine sent me some photos of a SuperLo with the new COVID measures he was driving. In addition to the new signage and barriers, 11 seats have been removed to allow greater space between the seats.

These buses are finding use on the Niagara routes as they have become quite busy. And if I've understood correctly, extra buses are being deployed.

Back