News   Apr 17, 2024
 561     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 303     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Ottawa Transit Developments

I understand slow orders are a normal part of rail operation once the temperature exceeds 30 C, my question is, since Ottawa is looking at a 3 C warming by 2050, how common are slow orders going to be, and will it compromise rail capacity and speed?

I understand slow orders are a normal part of rail operation once the temperature exceeds 30 C, my question is, since Ottawa is looking at a 3 C warming by 2050, how common are slow orders going to be, and will it compromise rail capacity and speed?

30C isn't a magic number inherent to railway track safety; it's the total temperature swing from winter lows to summer highs that sets the limits.

So, if winters become warmer as well then minor adjustments will be made to better accommodate the new normal.

Last edited:
A lot of people are criticizing the LRT over being unable to operate at normal speeds in hot weather (by next Tuesday we'll have had 6 straight days of 30+ weather) because I guess that means "it'll only be able to run for 2 months out of the year haha", but this isn't a whole lot different than how you wouldn't be driving top speed in a car when it rains or snows, neither of which affect rail operations in the same way. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Does anyone know if the same contract structure was followed for the three separate extensions that was used on Phase 1. One would hope that they worded things different or did something differently to avoid the major issues that have come with Phase 1. I know there was some concern about the contract offered to SNC-Lavalin. A brand new system was going to have breaking in issues as anything new does but this seems to be well beyond that at this point with the LRT stock and the general day to day operation.

The amount of defects reported on this line is simply past the point of laughable at this point.

I do believe its 2 fold however; while this line has had its share of issues, Ottawa is well known for being a very liberal, left wing city, as most capital cities are, and I believe the municipal level politicians and news media hate the fact that this was a P3 and sent out to private consortiums, so they are ripping it apart at every opportunity. Also when a news team realizes a story gets attention they double down on it, reporting every minor issue.

Some of the problems are a big deal for sure, but some of them are being reported like they are the end of the world when they are normal teething of a new line.

I do believe its 2 fold however; while this line has had its share of issues, Ottawa is well known for being a very liberal, left wing city, as most capital cities are, and I believe the municipal level politicians and news media hate the fact that this was a P3 and sent out to private consortiums, so they are ripping it apart at every opportunity. Also when a news team realizes a story gets attention they double down on it, reporting every minor issue.

Some of the problems are a big deal for sure, but some of them are being reported like they are the end of the world when they are normal teething of a new line.
I have yet to think of another major capital LRT project as botched as the Ottawa LRT anywhere.

Computer problems, door problems, and sun kinks are all normal teething issues and even just regular occurrences in railways. But you wouldn't be able to tell that from the Ottawa public's reaction! Plus the public perception that these trains don't/couldn't work at all in winter conditions which is just wrong.

I have yet to think of another major capital LRT project as botched as the Ottawa LRT anywhere.
No one is saying that it wasn't, but that doesn't mean that every single thing that happens along the way is actually a part of the screw ups. Train control problems within the first month of operations is on a much different level than the maintenance company literally being unable to keep up with routine maintenance 6 months in. They shouldn't be reported or even considered to be the same.

Computer problems, door problems, and sun kinks are all normal teething issues and even just regular occurrences in railways.

On that, you are correct. Over time they are supposed to become less prevalent as the equipment breaks in and the crews get more used to their intricacies, and there has not really been much indication that has been the case as yet.

Cracking wheels and failing overhead components, however, are not. Those are both indicative of either shoddy craftmanship, or poor assembly and/or maintenance, and really don't bode well considering the consortium who sourced and installed them is also supposed to be the one performing maintenance on them for the next 29 and a half years.

Dan

Back