1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 690     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 312     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Mask by-law just passed.

Takes effect July 7th. (next Tuesday)

Of note, the text of the by-law has been worded in such a way that if restaurants are permitted to reopen, people will be permitted to remove masks for the purpose of eating; and also may remove them for atheletic activities (which would seem to be aimed at gyms and pools.)

b)The policy shall permit the temporary removal of a Mask or Face Covering where necessary for the purpose of receiving services, or while actively engaging in an athletic or fitness activity.

Text of the Bill as passed is here:

Last edited:
So I was listening to the Agenda today regarding Common Sense Revolution that Mike Harris did during the 90s. Around "-5:35" (near the end) of the video, Harris responded to a question regarding long-term care home during Covid.

This is why you should never book through third-party vendors like Expedia. I have lost count how many people i know who have had problems with flights because of third party booking sites. Always book directly with the airline.
Not accurate in my case. In one phone call this morning with Expedia for TD I was able to cancel all six of my August UK hotels even though my bookings were nonrefundable, with the Expedia rep putting me on hold as she called each hotel and got my bookings canceled and 100% refunded. Then on the same call she canceled my rental car and got me a 24 month, 100% value credit with Air Canada. Meanwhile my neighbour who booked his trip to the US direct with Air Canada was only offered a 75% credit for 18 months. If I had booked each of those six hotels separately I’d now be calling each to ask for a refund, and I expect the smaller, privately owned country inns may have resisted. Instead, Expedia for TD got it done in one short call.

I can’t speak for regular Expedia, but Expedia for TD rocks for travel planning IMO. For example, in 2018 in San Francisco my hotel was on strike, meaning no services, loud picket lines, etc., and Expedia for TD got me a two night full credit with the chain, which I used in Seattle in 2019. Yes, you have to pay $120 annual fee for the TD premium VISA card, but I’ve more than got that back by not having to pay for rental car insurance or travel health insurance. So, you can add me to your count of people you know that have had no problems with a third party booking site. I expected to be on hold for hours in a queue of Covid cancellations, but since it’s Canada Day, and was 8am I got through without any hold at all.

As a seasoned traveller, I wholeheartedly recommend TD for Expedia. Most of my past destinations below were booked through them.

55249D7E-DCBC-45A3-87A8-C9BB96BEB00A.jpeg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Nightclub on King Street West to be charged after allegedly holding party amid pandemic

Jun 30, 2020

Toronto police say a nightclub on King Street West is facing a charge after it allegedly held a large party without physical distancing measures in place on Friday.

In a news release on Tuesday, police said the owner, manager and corporation of Goldie, a nightclub located at 619 King Street W. near Portland Street, will be charged with failure to comply with an order made during a declared emergency.

Police allege that the nightclub was operating indoors on Friday evening, contrary to the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act.

An estimated 125 to 150 people were inside the club, which has no outdoor patio or seating areas and no permit for outdoor service of any kind, police said in the release.

Patrons were allegedly allowed into the club through the rear.

Nightclub on King Street West to be charged after allegedly holding party amid pandemic

Jun 30, 2020

Toronto police say a nightclub on King Street West is facing a charge after it allegedly held a large party without physical distancing measures in place on Friday.

In a news release on Tuesday, police said the owner, manager and corporation of Goldie, a nightclub located at 619 King Street W. near Portland Street, will be charged with failure to comply with an order made during a declared emergency.

Police allege that the nightclub was operating indoors on Friday evening, contrary to the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act.

An estimated 125 to 150 people were inside the club, which has no outdoor patio or seating areas and no permit for outdoor service of any kind, police said in the release.

Patrons were allegedly allowed into the club through the rear.

Strip them of their license, throw the operators and owners in jail.

AoD

Red Cross slams US and Brazil response

The Red Cross has criticized a number of countries, particularly the United States and Brazil, for their handling of the pandemic.

Francesco Rocca, president of the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), warned that in the Americas especially, there were terrible consequences to the mixed and partisan rhetoric from politicians, often contradicting scientific advice.

"America as a continent is paying the highest price for this kind of division or not following the advice coming from the scientific community," he told a virtual briefing hosted by the UN correspondents' association in Geneva.

The United States is the worst-hit country in the world, with a quarter of global cases and deaths, followed by Brazil, which has suffered almost 60,000 fatalities and more than 1.4 million infections of the novel virus.

Rocca said Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro "underestimated the consequences of COVID, and his country is living the consequences."

Bolsonaro has frequently ignored social distancing guidelines, while shaking hands and giving hugs at rallies, as well as hosting barbecues, all of which have been conducted with no sign of a face mask. The president also once compared the coronavirus to a "little flu."

"America as a continent is paying the highest price for this kind of division or not following the advice coming from the scientific community," he told a virtual briefing hosted by the UN correspondents' association in Geneva.
Hold on there Rocco old chap, don’t throw Canada into that ubiquitous “continent” wide summation.

We’re (Canada) certainly doing better than the US, where societal shutdown was not as comprehensive. With 38 million people, we have 104,204 Covid19 cases, with 8,637 dead. Of those 104,204.... 67,492 are recovered, 28,021 are active cases (mostly recovering at home) and 8,591 are deceased. https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/coronavirustracker/.

With less than 8.5 times the population of Canada, the US has over 2.4 million confirmed cases, with daily new cases soon to exceed 100,000, https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... in-us.html. With a CDC claimed death rate of 0.2%-1%, this is a coming disaster.

As for the effectiveness of closing the economy and promoting masks and distancing, Canada’s daily new cases are trending about 300 a day, down from May’s daily average of about 1,000 a day. Here in Canada I’d say we’re on the right track. And there’s nothing Canada is doing that the USA could not be doing to reduce its own numbers and deaths.

Had Canada had comprehensive and government enforced disease prevention protocols in our LTC homes the total Covid19 deaths would likely be less than 1,000, imo. This is our one big failing as a country, and something to work on fixing ASAP. But the Red Cross can drop its pan-American brush.

U.S. sees 50,000 new cases of COVID-19 reported in a single day, setting record

Thursday, July 2, 2020

On Wednesday, 50,203 new coronavirus cases were reported -- a record for one day, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

Wednesday's total eclipses the previous high of new cases reached on June 26, when 45,255 new coronavirus cases were reported across the U.S.

There have been more than 2,685,000 cases of coronavirus in the country, according to Johns Hopkins University. More than 128,000 people have died.

At least five states -- Arizona, California, North Carolina, Tennessee, Texas -- had record-high totals of new case reports on Wednesday.

California, the most populous state, reported 9,740 new cases. That figure included 5,898 cases reported to the state in the past 24 hours and 3,842 previously unreported cases from a five-day period, Ali Bay, a spokeswoman for the state's joint information center, said.

The spike comes as many states are pausing their reopenings or rolling back some restrictions.

More than 28 million Californians live in counties where restaurant dining rooms, bars and other indoor facilities are being told to stay shut or close as the number of COVID-19 cases continue to worry state officials.

The closures affect 19 counties representing 72 per cent of the state's population, and include restaurants, museums, zoos, movie theatres, family entertainment, and card rooms, Gov. Gavin Newsom said Wednesday.

While younger people are at materially lower risk of death/serious illness; this is not only foolish but deeply offensive.

Can one imagine if even one person in your social circle, never mind a close friend or family member died or came close to dying as a result of such a thing.

It would be be one thing, however irresponsible, if parties were being held without this explicit betting and theme. Were the issue merely ignorance. But to have reached the low involved here ..... sigh.

One despairs for the species sometimes.

Back