News   Mar 28, 2024
 164     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Exhibition Place

Despite the Ex surviving several attempts at total demolition, it's still a bit disappointing that the Ex did lose a lot of its historical integrity over the years due to various heritage losses and half-hearted development, and has ended up becoming a confused space that's urbanistically isolated from the rest of the city (and the lake).

Last edited:
Despite the Ex surviving several attempts at total demolition, it's still a bit disappointing that the Ex did lose a lot of its historical integrity over the years due to various heritage losses and half-hearted development, and has ended up becoming a confused space that's urbanistically isolated from the rest of the city (and the lake).

Wondering if the Hotel X (located on the east side of Exhibition Place) are designated as the armed forces residencies for those assigned to the Fort York Armoury? The Stanley Barracks (Officers' Quarters) has been vacate since 1998.

220px-Stanley_Barracks.jpg

See link.

Wondering if the Hotel X (located on the east side of Exhibition Place) are designated as the armed forces residencies for those assigned to the Fort York Armoury? The Stanley Barracks (Officers' Quarters) has been vacate since 1998.

220px-Stanley_Barracks.jpg

See link.

I doubt that. They likely have barracks inside the armoury.

I don't think there are barracks inside the armoury - but I could very well be wrong.

AoD

True but it would be extremely expensive to host people at the hotel. At $500 a night give or take (depending) that would be $207,000 a year including taxes per room.

That's the sort of thing that gets flagged in funding reviews.

True but it would be extremely expensive to host people at the hotel. At $500 a night give or take (depending) that would be $207,000 a year including taxes per room.

That's the sort of thing that gets flagged in funding reviews.

Pay rates for Canadian officers, see link. Do enlisted and officers have to pay for room and board?

Yep, can't imagine they would do that when there are more mid-range options available in downtown.

AoD

Indeed. I know of a fully furnished Penthouse Condo in Downtown next to the lake renting for 6000 a month. Far cry from the $17000 it would cost to rent a hotel for a month.

Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment resubmitted its bid for Toronto as an NHL hub city on the weekend and now proposes that players and personnel would live on the Canadian National Exhibition grounds just outside of the downtown core, TSN's Pierre LeBrun reports.

The bid presents the idea of a "40-acre campus-like bubble" that would grant players access to facilities including BMO Field, Coca-Cola Coliseum (home of the AHL's Toronto Marlies), the Toronto Raptors' practice facility, and Hotel X, which has 400 rooms, according to LeBrun. He added that MLSE would be willing to add other features such as food trucks and an outdoor movie theatre.
Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Chicago, Vancouver, Edmonton, and Toronto are apparently the six remaining contenders to host the NHL's 24-team playoff format.

Back