Toronto Union Park | 303.26m | 58s | Oxford Properties | Pelli Clarke Pelli

5199FFE4-38C4-4875-94D0-A42A33AF6B39.jpeg

looks like they are beginning to do some site testing, correct me if I’m wrong

Given the nature of office developments in this town - I wouldn't hold my breath. I would consider it a win if they don't eventually block off the glass.

What I do ask for is high quality implementation (no cheap unitized glazing; landscape design that goes beyond going through the motions)

AoD

It's Pelli. While some folks would argue they aren't super innovative, I think it would be hard to argue their execution isn't consistently great ... and Oxford has deep pockets................................

It's Pelli. While some folks would argue they aren't super innovative, I think it would be hard to argue their execution isn't consistently great ... and Oxford has deep pockets................................

Never underestimate the ability of developers to VE in this town either.

AoD

Never underestimate the ability of developers to VE in this town either.

AoD
It's even got Waterpark Place III cladding in the renders!

Although, like everything, it's been done before ... but I am diggin' the yellow deconstruct/scattering cladding on the residential tower. Build it first (it's rental) before VE thoughts become spoken out loud.

Last edited:
Make two main towers a little wider and mix use. Condo on top office on the bottom all the same floor plates. Leaving room for a much larger winter garden that exits into the new proposed elevated park ! Creating breathing space for the towers across the street!

^Now there's an idea for you. Heck, it would probably be in Oxford's best interests seeing as no one knows what office demand will be like once this pandemic is over.

But if they want to take the risk of having half empty office buildings, than congrats to them.

A larger portion of the workforce working from home may become a permanent thing. Demand for office space will decrease, companies save a lot of cash, employees are happier if they only have to commute to work a couple of days a week or less. People can move out of
the city, commute to the head office when necessary, and work in their sweatpants. The wouldn't be a bad thing. Union Tower, the Hub and others may not proceed at the pace we would hope.

A larger portion of the workforce working from home may become a permanent thing. Demand for office space will decrease, companies save a lot of cash, employees are happier if they only have to commute to work a couple of days a week or less. People can move out of
the city, commute to the head office when necessary, and work in their sweatpants. The wouldn't be a bad thing. Union Tower, the Hub and others may not proceed at the pace we would hope.
Really interesting thoughts! There are some jobs that requires physical contact for sure.
Personally I would consider too much working from home annoying. Having lived with someone and the kids 24/7 is crazy
Also, missing the social aspect of working in the office.
Interesting to see what happens.

The general trend will be toward more telecommuting, and Covidian times are simply accelerating that along. We'll still see new office towers going up but perhaps not at the frequency we once saw. In my part of the local film and television industry we're being told to generally expect to work primarily from home, albeit with once or twice-weekly visits to the office to talk to department heads and coordinate with other departments. Some good and bad in there but I won't miss commuting daily, especially when a given production is on the other side of the GTA for me. Still, I'm not sure the new provisions will hold once we are post-Covid. The pressure to have real face-time for making quick decisions will likely be immense.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see if the pace of new residential tower builds also slackens off. Will more people opt to leave the city for smaller cities and 'burbs? For many of us the city continues to be a draw, but I wonder if we will see new settlement patterns aided and abetted by greater reliance on tech. Will we see more decentralization?

Back