News   Apr 16, 2024
 290     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.4K     6 

Cedarbrae Mall

Has any store replaced the recently closed down Wal-Mart at Cedarbrae yet?

Toys R Us has also been replaced with Winners (which downsized from its previous location just down the street at Fortune Gate) years ago.

Woodside Square will likely never become a dead mall because there are two major high schools right across from it that keep the food court busy and also provide quite a lot of walkthrough customers for some of the retail stores. I went to one of the high schools across from the mall in the 90s and definitely remember there being a lot more brand-name retailers in the mall (Zellers, Dominion, Coles bookstore, Winners, etc.), but it has been upkept fairly well since despite being mostly non-branded retail and as long as there is a grocery store, a Shoppers, an active food court and banks in there, I think they will be fine. The library is also quite active and was renovated (it used to be on the other end of the mall, near the food court) in the last decade or so.

Woodside Square will likely never become a dead mall because there are two major high schools right across from it that keep the food court busy and also provide quite a lot of walkthrough customers for some of the retail stores. I went to one of the high schools across from the mall in the 90s and definitely remember there being a lot more brand-name retailers in the mall (Zellers, Dominion, Coles bookstore, Winners, etc.), but it has been upkept fairly well since despite being mostly non-branded retail and as long as there is a grocery store, a Shoppers, an active food court and banks in there, I think they will be fine. The library is also quite active and was renovated (it used to be on the other end of the mall, near the food court) in the last decade or so.

Zellers is where Food Basics (and a few mall retailers, like SVP) is now. The Library, Shoppers, and LCBO are where Dominion was.

The Chinese restaurant/banquet hall, Casa De Luz, is one of the largest of its kind.

Woodside will be fine, but I definitely see residential intensification coming.

Before heading home from Canadian Tire, I decided to take a brief walk through Cedarbrae mall.

- A majority of the Walmart (former Zellers) has been replaced by Home Accents. Space-wise, Home
Accents only accounts for about 60 percent of the space Walmart used to take up. I believe Stitches has
taken up the other partition.

- Due to Covid-19 precautions, shoppers cannot exit Canadian Tire through the side exit into the mall
(trust me, I tried - but the glass doors are shut with boxes stacked in front of them.

- Ditto for No Frill's side entrance/exit.

- I didn't notice Gamestop/EB Games in the mall any longer. Looking online, Cedarbrae Mall is no longer listed
on EB Games/Gamestop's websites. On a side note, I think EB Games (across the street from Cedarbrae) has also left.

- One stall in the food court was boarded up. I'm sure more will follow if Covid-19's precautions continue.

- Lots of no-name and low budget stores. The most depressing of which was Frugo (lower level across from
Dollarama),

I don't think I'll be returning.

Last edited:
Before heading home from Canadian Tire, I decided to take a brief walk through Cedarbrae mall.

- A majority of the Walmart (former Zellers) has been replaced by Home Accents. Space-wise, Home
Accents only accounts for about 60 percent of the space Walmart used to take up. I believe Stitches has
taken up the other partition.

- Due to Covid-19 precautions, shoppers cannot exit Canadian Tire through the side exit into the mall
(trust me, I tried - but the glass doors are shut with boxes stacked in front of them.

- Ditto for No Frill's side entrance/exit.

- I didn't notice Gamestop/EB Games in the mall any longer. Looking online, Cedarbrae Mall is no longer listed
on EB Games/Gamestop's websites. On a side note, I think EB Games (across the street from Cedarbrae) has also left.

- One stall in the food court was boarded up. I'm sure more will follow if Covid-19's precautions continue.

- Lots of no-name and low budget stores. The most depressing of which was Frugo (lower level across from
Dollarama),

I don't think I'll be returning.

As I said before in this thread, Cederbrae was never the same after they renovated it. When I was growing up in West Hill in the early 1990s it was a great mall with everything a person needed.

When they renovated it in the early 2000s all the good stores left and the STC became even more dominant in Scarborough.

Theyve tried to give the mall more appeal with some success but for now it's going to keep only serving the people in the surrounding neighbourhoods. Jysk is the only store people would travel for

Last night's visit to Cedarbrae Mall where demolition is currently underway:

1657750173643.png

Upstairs was Goodlife Fitness. Downstairs went through a slew of store changes including Zellers, Walmart, Sketchers and a Home Essentials
-esque liquidation outlet.

With cheaper Fit4Less locations sprouting up around the area (including one across the street from Cedarbrae), I was wondering how Goodlife
was staying afloat here.

Any ideas of what will replace this section of the mall yet? Do you think the rest of Cedarbrae mall is soon to follow?

Attachments

• 1657750110410.png
    1657750110410.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Any ideas of what will replace this section of the mall yet? Do you think the rest of Cedarbrae mall is soon to follow?

Yes.

A very large plan for the entire mall property is being worked on.

It will be transformative, if delivered.

Whether that will be good or not, I honestly can't say, as I haven't seen the plans, but I know of them.........

The former Walmart/Zellers has been converted into a new wing within the Cedarbrae Mall.

One side of the extension is Dollarama, while the other is Ardene. The Dollarama (which used to sit at the lower level
of Cedarbrae) is now a gutted lot. Following suit, the Fruugo on the opposite end of the lower level now has a 'closing
down sale' sign posted outside.

Personally speaking, I was always amazed at how that particular Fruugo stayed in business for so long. Every time I
went there, it seemed that most of the same low-quality merchandise never left the shelves.

Back on subject, Goodlife Fitness is now a Winners. The old Winners location in the mall has become Home Accents
(which briefly took over the space Walmart leased a few years back).

Talk about a mall playing musical chairs...

Back