Markham Buttonville Airport Redevelopment | ?m | 1s | Cadillac Fairview | Glenn Piotrowski Architect

What are the white parts in-between the buildings, parks ?

The dates are always silly ... there have been some proposed office buildings on Hi-way 7 for YEARS, and some haven't started.

That's not to say some haven't, the two most recent in the last 3 or 4 years total around 200K or so if I recall (one near Warden, and a very small one near Leslie). I believe there is one under construction now as well.

Keep in mind the goals of downtown Markham, 3/4 million square foot, this another, it won't happen, that's not to say ever, but it'll take a lot longer then anyone perdicts.

Here's another reason why, Markham is going to have a lot of competion with Vaghuan now as well ... downtown Markham office buildings want to charge higher rents, you need to, to justify underground parking and larger building.

I think the suburbs will thrive actually ! But there is so much competitiosn out there (Vaghan / Airport area / Hi-way 7 / Downtown Markham / Oakvile / Medovile [mind my spelling) ... there's only so much demand.

Last edited:
What are the white parts in-between the buildings, parks ?

The dates are always silly ... there have been some proposed office buildings on Hi-way 7 for YEARS, and some haven't started.

That's not to say some haven't, the two most recent in the last 3 or 4 years total around 200K or so if I recall (one near Warden, and a very small one near Leslie). I believe there is one under construction now as well.

Keep in mind the goals of downtown Markham, 3/4 million square foot, this another, it won't happen, that's not to say ever, but it'll take a lot longer then anyone perdicts.

Here's another reason why, Markham is going to have a lot of competion with Vaghuan now as well ... downtown Markham office buildings want to charge higher rents, you need to, to justify underground parking and larger building.

I think the suburbs will thrive actually ! But there is so much competitiosn out there (Vaghan / Airport area / Hi-way 7 / Downtown Markham / Oakvile / Medovile [mind my spelling) ... there's only so much demand.

I beleive those areas are retail but I can't remember exactly. There is a LOT of retail and office planned for this area. Is the demand there? I have no idea, but they seemed confident that it will be.

I find this whole plan to be monumentally stupid and shortsighted in the extreme. Not only are they closing a much-needed, if not-so-profitable, general aviation airport, but they're replacing it with some high density office and residential cluster that's far away from any planned transit corridor and just adds congestion to one of the most congested freeways in the region. This is why we need some kind of regional planning board with a vested interest in making sure that strategic land use and transportation plans line up. At least at developments of this scale, this agency would have the authority to override municipal plans and tell developers to go back to the drawing board. Anyway, I hope this development fails.

http://www.yorkregion.com/news-stor...rt-will-remain-open-until-at-least-next-year/

Buttonville Airport will remain open until at least next year

Markham Economist & Sun
By Amanda Persico
Due to ongoing debate at the Ontario Municipal Board, Buttonville Airport will remain open until at least 2017, it was announced today.

The OMB proceedings date back to 2013, when the airport located adjacent to Hwy. 404 at 16th Avenue was initially scheduled to close.

Richmond Hill, Markham and York Region all have a stake in the proceedings, with several mediation sessions scheduled in July and another prehearing in August.

Transportation, traffic and land use are some of the issues that need to be ironed out.

Plans for the airport land – owned by Cadillac Fairview and Armadale Co. Ltd. – were first introduced to Markham council in 2011 and endorsed in 2013.

I kinda knew that would happen. Nothing happens quickly in the city. The plans were great - but would have definitely bring too much more traffic in an already congested area.

the proposal has all the hallmarks of a developer driven "New Urbanism" design. Limited access in and out of the site. Meandering streets that turn back on themselves. But hey "we have a central promenade/avenue and a view corridor" and that makes it new urbanist.

Seems pretty bold for a city of 300k to be developing three downtowns simultaneously (Langstaff, Markham Centre, Buttonville). Obviously no landowner wants to let sites sit fallow, but at the same time is it in Markham's best interest (and each project's potential for greatness) for them all to be developed at the same time? Or in taxpayer/ratepayer's best interest whom no doubt will be shelling-out big money on infrastructure? These sites are all over the map, literally and figuratively.

As well each of Markham's 'downtowns' are awkwardly located and hard to serve by quality transit - even Langstaff Gateway (which is to have a subway station at its westernmost edge). Maybe with the exception of Markham Centre, considering the Prov flip-flopped on its decision for AD2W using diesels on the Stouffville Line and have now upgraded plans for a promised high-priority electrified RER proposal (not to mention whatever Tory et al concocted with SmartTrack). But even with the unrealistic and unfeasible SmartTrack serving an unrealistically developed Markham Centre, best case had something like ~750 peak traveling there.

Perhaps this Buttonville proposal can rekindle interest in the Don Mills LRT north of Sheppard, albeit with the line doing a jog NE at Hwy 7. But that's a few $Billion that doesn't exist.

Markham Buttonville development on hold; planes will fly for 5 years
The planes will keep flying at Buttonville Municipal Airport in Markham — for at least the next five years anyway.

Cadillac Fairview, along with Armadale Co. Limited and Torontoair Ltd. announced on Friday, April 27 that they would continue operations at the local airport until at least the spring of 2023 and possibly longer.

Cadillac Fairview and Armadale, who co-own the Buttonville lands, have applied for an application to rezone the lands for a 175-acre, $4-billion project that could create between 15,000 to 24,000 jobs and house 6,000 to 7,000 residents.

But the project has been stalled for several years at the Ontario Municipal Board, apparently over a disagreement over infrastructure fees developers would pay to the Region of York to widen roadways around the airport lands.

Anna Ng, a spokesperson for Cadillac Fairview, says negotiations continue over the development application at the OMB with the Region of York. She said the renewal of the airport licence, which was due to expire this October, was par for the course.

source:
https://www.yorkregion.com/news-sto...elopment-on-hold-planes-will-fly-for-5-years/

we have decided to focus our efforts on our downtown Toronto land bank, which includes the recent purchase of the East Harbour lands, as well as the densification of our existing retail portfolio

Potential new towers on top of the Eaton Centre incoming?? What else does Cadillac Fairview own downtown?

I find this whole plan to be monumentally stupid and shortsighted in the extreme. Not only are they closing a much-needed, if not-so-profitable, general aviation airport, but they're replacing it with some high density office and residential cluster that's far away from any planned transit corridor and just adds congestion to one of the most congested freeways in the region. This is why we need some kind of regional planning board with a vested interest in making sure that strategic land use and transportation plans line up. At least at developments of this scale, this agency would have the authority to override municipal plans and tell developers to go back to the drawing board. Anyway, I hope this development fails.

I think the "not so profitable" part is the key. The Sifton family wanted out and sold it to C-F, decided not an airport operator. The airfield had little to no potential for growth; it is hemmed in and I believe subject to several noise restrictions.

Back