Markham Buttonville Airport Redevelopment | ?m | 1s | Cadillac Fairview | Glenn Piotrowski Architect

CHL has the contract to operate the YRP helicopter. They moved the YRP operation to Oshawa.
Thanks. A bit out of the way from their turf but, like you say, not many options in their own backyard. They're safe until sprawl put pressure on Oshawa, unless they decide to bite the bullet and build their own facilities.

The best they could hope for is perhaps building a helipad on the YRP Headquarters
A big budget ask from the Region plus a lot of regulatory matters to deal with. Unless the want to go completely on their own, they'd have to pay an operator (CHL, etc.) to have an offsite staff dedicated to a single machine. Not impossible, but a multi-year process. There is really no need to be at their headquarters; besides, there's no space unless they are somehow allowed to fill in the adjacent storm water retention ponds next to it, which I doubt.

There really isn't anywhere for them to go in York Region.

The best they could hope for is perhaps building a helipad on the YRP Headquarters
There is an airport on highway 48 in North Markham just south of Stouffville. Not sure of its current status but perhaps there is potential there.

Thanks. A bit out of the way from their turf but, like you say, not many options in their own backyard. They're safe until sprawl put pressure on Oshawa, unless they decide to bite the bullet and build their own facilities.

A big budget ask from the Region plus a lot of regulatory matters to deal with. Unless the want to go completely on their own, they'd have to pay an operator (CHL, etc.) to have an offsite staff dedicated to a single machine. Not impossible, but a multi-year process. There is really no need to be at their headquarters; besides, there's no space unless they are somehow allowed to fill in the adjacent storm water retention ponds next to it, which I doubt

Yes, not impossible to build their own facility, but not easy or cheap either. Your background keeps popping up with these knowledgeable insights.
"Spend a chunk of my law enforcement career being a non-vomiting passenger in both fixed and rotary wing platforms and was part of an in-depth review of our rotary program." (I'm guessing OPP :) ).

Even though YRP is a law enforcement operation, an off airport helicopter landing pad within a built up area has to meet all the Transport Canada regulations (dimensions, lighting, obstacle free approach / departure corridors, etc.). A hangar building is a must. Plus a storage tank / pump system for jet fuel installed meeting all of the safety / environmental regulations. No light lunch.

Yes, not impossible to build their own facility, but not easy or cheap either. Your background keeps popping up with these knowledgeable insights.
"Spend a chunk of my law enforcement career being a non-vomiting passenger in both fixed and rotary wing platforms and was part of an in-depth review of our rotary program." (I'm guessing OPP :) ).

Even though YRP is a law enforcement operation, an off airport helicopter landing pad within a built up area has to meet all the Transport Canada regulations (dimensions, lighting, obstacle free approach / departure corridors, etc.). A hangar building is a must. Plus a storage tank / pump system for jet fuel installed meeting all of the safety / environmental regulations. No light lunch.
Check your messages.

Back