Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

IMG_20191224_141755.jpg

It's missing the moat street meat guy!

Even though I was excited about the space created in the moat at first, I'm starting to regret them having covered it. It's not in keeping with the heritage of the exterior, it's no architectural marvel that would've enhanced the building and honestly, it doesn't add any real function. The station doesn't need another indoor space — it's already so vast.

At most, maybe they could've added a canopy between the TTC Station and Union Station in the event of rain, to cover connecting commuters. I would've rather the moat just become a cobbled stoned, outdoors pedestrian mall with individual stores lining one side and Union Station's entrances on the other with small food vendors peppered around.

Even though I was excited about the space created in the moat at first, I'm starting to regret them having covered it. It's not in keeping with the heritage of the exterior, it's no architectural marvel that would've enhanced the building and honestly, it doesn't add any real function. The station doesn't need another indoor space — it's already so vast.

At most, maybe they could've added a canopy between the TTC Station and Union Station in the event of rain, to cover connecting commuters. I would've rather the moat just become a cobbled stoned, outdoors pedestrian mall with individual stores lining one side and Union Station's entrances on the other with small food vendors peppered around.

I tend to disagree. As someone who travels through Union daily it is a welcome addition to have the covered moat. Covering a section would not have done much for weatherproofing but covering the whole thing keeps everyone climate controlled.

I tend to disagree. As someone who travels through Union daily it is a welcome addition to have the covered moat. Covering a section would not have done much for weatherproofing but covering the whole thing keeps everyone climate controlled.

Also, remember all the pigeons and being worried about being shat on while having to pass through the moat doors to Union? I won't miss that.

Beautiful work. Thinking back to what it was like before, it was worth the wait.
1cc8b6e3-38c1-40ee-943c-87c75e5252a0-jpeg.222303

Photo: fc000

What a contrast with the shit job ViaRail did with their ceilings.

IMG_8606.jpg

I still have a hard time believing that this is the finished renovation of the ViaRail boarding lounge.

Recessed lighting along the sides of the ceiling soffits and then wall mounted lighting fixtures would've worked nicely. I hope someone at Via realizes the crap job done here and has it redone.

1cc8b6e3-38c1-40ee-943c-87c75e5252a0-jpeg.222303

Photo: fc000

What a contrast with the shit job ViaRail did with their ceilings.

View attachment 222361

I still have a hard time believing that this is the finished renovation of the ViaRail boarding lounge.

Recessed lighting along the sides of the ceiling soffits and then wall mounted lighting fixtures would've worked nicely. I hope someone at Via realizes the crap job done here and has it redone.

Recessed is nice but perhaps surgical lighting is better?

Back