Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Now that we're on the topic, isn't this section supposed to (stupidly) stay uncovered? I thought it had something to do with service vehicle access, but everything beside the stairs (doors to the moat section of Union, the walkway under the Front/York intersection, and the new access to 123 Front St. W.) leads indoors already. Why not enclose the area to the right of the stairs?

View attachment 222719
Maybe they're putting a glass wall between the canopy and the stairs so that the moat can be climate controlled.

^^ The moat is climate controlled already, as there are doors leading to it. But it doesn't look as if the area beside the stairs will be.

^^ The moat is climate controlled already, as there are doors leading to it. But it doesn't look as if the area beside the stairs will be.
The moats (or covered areas) along both York and Bay will not be heated but they are ((or will be) covered and lead to heated Front Street moats and the Teamways.

Maybe they're putting a glass wall between the canopy and the stairs so that the moat can be climate controlled.
They are putting in 2 sets of double doors for each door way at Bay and York so that the Moat area will be climate controlled. By the looks of things at this time and could change over the next few months, neither Bay or York will be climate controlled and only offer overhead protection from the weather.

Upstairs Tim Hortons closing:

Tim Hortons temporary kiosk to close - Union Station​
We know many of you have been frequenting the Tim Hortons temporary kiosk at Union Station while the new permanent location was under construction in the food court. Now that the new store has been open for some time, the temporary location near Front St. is finally set to close at the end of 2019. We know this may be a slight inconvenience for you, however the space will help improve the flow of pedestrian traffic through the area.

Meanwhile, the City continues to make progress on the Bay Concourse, which will include additional retail space in the station. Those retail outlets will open as they are ready in the new year.

We thank you for your understanding, and hope you enjoy the new location.

Upstairs Tim Hortons closing:

Tim Hortons temporary kiosk to close - Union Station​
We know many of you have been frequenting the Tim Hortons temporary kiosk at Union Station while the new permanent location was under construction in the food court. Now that the new store has been open for some time, the temporary location near Front St. is finally set to close at the end of 2019. We know this may be a slight inconvenience for you, however the space will help improve the flow of pedestrian traffic through the area.

Meanwhile, the City continues to make progress on the Bay Concourse, which will include additional retail space in the station. Those retail outlets will open as they are ready in the new year.

We thank you for your understanding, and hope you enjoy the new location.

Not surprising. It was a very limited Tims anyway so not a big loss

For posterity, Tim Hortons on final day.
IMG_20191231_124917.jpg

Question: Will they also be relocating the Security Office (it looks a bit temporary to me!)?

I wonder that as well. I recall the security office being in the arrivals hallway, in the great hall and where it is now since around 2005.

It would be nice to have a permanent location.

Also.. fun fact there used to be a student travel id place where the security office was in the great hall at one point.

It appears a number of new Presto readers are (finally!) being installed in the Bay St West teamway. They're on the west side of the teamway now, so hopefully once they're all installed, the mess of criss-crossing foot traffic will be alleviated.

The stainless steel bases are roughed in, all capped off with constructions pylons for now.

Are there any planned improvements to the Bay West Teamway beyond things like Presto readers, screens, and doorways to the concourse?
Sooner or later they certainly plan to fix the ceilings so that they can remove the netting put there to stop (or slow down) falling concrete. I think that Metrolinx are in final stages of fixing the rail-bed above so that the leaks will be stopped and this may occur soon(ish).

Was going through some old photos today. Found a photo of the moat from Winter 2010 that I thought others may find interesting.

View attachment 223576
In a way it's crazy to think that was an accepted condition for so long for our largest train station.

I took a walk through the new Bay Concourse this weekend, and I gotta, say, i am getting really excited for the whole project to wrap up. It's all looking great.

Back