News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 495     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Montréal Transit Developments

Preliminary volume design for the Pie-IX station on the blue line extension.

Looks like there will be redundant elevators between the mezzanine and the platforms.
Missing from the picture on the right side is the tunnel that will lead to the BRT platforms and to the secondary entrance (on the northwest corner of Jean-Talon & Pie-IX.)

EIoExSeWkAA3cIn.jpg:large

In other news, the STM also revealed that it plans to retrofit public washrooms into the transfer stations (Jean-Talon, Berri-UQAM, Lionel-Groulx) as part of their refurbishment. Apparently it has already been done at Snowdon in 2017.

Last edited:
Recently started seeing a new series of STM ads on local TV channels in Montreal area - CTV, Radio Canada, Global, TVA, etc. True to their roots, it's got this quirky, distinctive Montreal vibe to the presentation and message. Also interesting to see a public transit agency putting out TV ads once in a while - not exactly sure what their intent is but still refreshing, given that branding is a big part of how people perceive a system (provided the system actually provides good service...).

Since the information leaked in the media, this is what will be voted by the ARTM in December for the new fare structure. https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2019/11/08/de-chambly-a-mirabel-pour-177

3 zones, includes metro, train, bus and REM access.

Rate examples
Monthly pass for all modes of transportation (including bus, metro, REM and commuter train)
  • Island of Montreal (zone 1): $ 98
  • Island of Montreal, Laval and Longueuil: $ 138
  • The entire metropolitan area: $ 177
  • Island of Montreal without commuter train and without REM stations west of Bois-Franc (equivalent to the current STM pass): $ 89

Two different options are proposed; I'm more a fan of the two-zoned Island of Montréal.

Good news. Here are the washrooms at Snowdon.
View attachment 213784

Glad to see them expanding the availability of washrooms. That's convenient for many people and a necessity for some, particularly in the event of illness.

Using the standard of putting washrooms at transfer stations, Toronto would add:

Subway meets Subway
St. George
Spadina
Queen (Ontario Line)
Osgoode (Ontario Line)
Pape (Ontario Line)
East Harbour (Ontario Line
Gerrard (Ontario Line)

Subway meets GO Rail/Bus
Main Street (if one considers Danforth GO)
Dundas West (if the connection ever gets made)
Yorkdale
Yorkmills

Recently started seeing a new series of STM ads on local TV channels in Montreal area - CTV, Radio Canada, Global, TVA, etc. True to their roots, it's got this quirky, distinctive Montreal vibe to the presentation and message. Also interesting to see a public transit agency putting out TV ads once in a while - not exactly sure what their intent is but still refreshing, given that branding is a big part of how people perceive a system (provided the system actually provides good service...).

Metrolinx does advertising fairly regularly as well.

Glad to see them expanding the availability of washrooms. That's convenient for many people and a necessity for some, particularly in the event of illness.

Using the standard of putting washrooms at transfer stations, Toronto would add:

Subway meets Subway
St. George
Spadina
Queen (Ontario Line)
Osgoode (Ontario Line)
Pape (Ontario Line)
East Harbour (Ontario Line
Gerrard (Ontario Line)

Subway meets GO Rail/Bus
Main Street (if one considers Danforth GO)
Dundas West (if the connection ever gets made)
Yorkdale
Yorkmills

You forgot Cedarvale/Eglinton West and Leslie/Oriole. But most important of all Union!

Since the information leaked in the media, this is what will be voted by the ARTM in December for the new fare structure. https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2019/11/08/de-chambly-a-mirabel-pour-177

3 zones, includes metro, train, bus and REM access.

Rate examples
Monthly pass for all modes of transportation (including bus, metro, REM and commuter train)

• Island of Montreal (zone 1): $ 98
  • Island of Montreal, Laval and Longueuil: $ 138
  • The entire metropolitan area: $ 177
  • Island of Montreal without commuter train and without REM stations west of Bois-Franc (equivalent to the current STM pass): $ 89

Two different options are proposed; I'm more a fan of the two-zoned Island of Montréal.
View attachment 214120
View attachment 214119

Nice that you can live anywhere on the Island and get unlimited travel for just $98/monthly (and recently it was only $89). I believe their subsidized for low income pass is only $55/month as well. Montreal knows how to take care of its citizenry it seems.

You forgot Cedarvale/Eglinton West and Leslie/Oriole. But most important of all Union!

True, though there is now an indoor connection to Union rail station, which has washrooms.

I should have remembered Leslie/Oriole.

I didn't forget Eglinton West, I just didn't settle on whether to include 'LRTs' as that might mean adding St. Clair/St. Clair West and others.

Nice that you can live anywhere on the Island and get unlimited travel for just $98/monthly (and recently it was only $89). I believe their subsidized for low income pass is only $55/month as well. Montreal knows how to take care of its citizenry it seems.
There's no low income pass as of yet. The financing structure for the cities and provincial government is getting quite clear with inflation being built in the formulas.

True, though there is now an indoor connection to Union rail station, which has washrooms.

I should have remembered Leslie/Oriole.

I didn't forget Eglinton West, I just didn't settle on whether to include 'LRTs' as that might mean adding St. Clair/St. Clair West and others.

Isn't washrooms at transfer stations considered standard now in Toronto? I thought thats why existing stations built in the 70s/80s at transfer points have them like Finch. I'm glad Ottawa is also now following that model.

Isn't washrooms at transfer stations considered standard now in Toronto? I thought thats why existing stations built in the 70s/80s at transfer points have them like Finch. I'm glad Ottawa is also now following that model.

I believe that is now the policy for new lines; though there is no policy to retrofit older stations.

Also, I don't believe the policy covers GO Stations, only subway to subway. (ie York Mills and Yorkdale are GO bus terminals and lack washrooms, and so does Downsview Park even though it has a GO rail station.)

I think Montreal just jinxed themselves. We in Ottawa were feeling pretty smug about our yet untested trains back when TTC was going through it's Flexity Outlook fiasco, and look where that got us

Yea it's MTLBlog... nobody in Montreal takes it seriously since well, it's a half-baked blog and not real reporting.

Back