Toronto Royal Ontario Museum | ?m | ?s | Daniel Libeskind

I've never liked the Bloor side signage. They have a large sign saying "Michael Lee-Chin Crystal" but only a tiny sign above the entrance saying "ROM". I get that he donated a lot of money, but I've had passers-by literally walk by the building and ask me where the ROM is.

We need something large saying ROM. Maybe lettering like the Toronto sign at Nathan Phillips.

I've never liked the Bloor side signage. They have a large sign saying "Michael Lee-Chin Crystal" but only a tiny sign above the entrance saying "ROM". I get that he donated a lot of money, but I've had passers-by literally walk by the building and ask me where the ROM is.

We need something large saying ROM. Maybe lettering like the Toronto sign at Nathan Phillips.
A few times, I entered through the ROM's gift shop, because I was unable to find the Bloor Street entrance.

Work is moving towards completion. They’ve built what looks like a shipping entrance under the new plaza. Also notable is that there will be sidewalk heating, avoiding the use of salt in front of the ROM.

771FEF42-2070-4EA0-B983-A91E39BF93C8.jpeg
0D40B585-9FC1-411B-B0E9-8994C14E4C80.jpeg

I noticed a crew on a scissor lift with a camera like device pointed directly at some of the slats. It looked like they were testing them. Is there a device that can measure accurate colour of a surface? Maybe I'll recognize it if I see it. Fingers crossed that they're planning to replace or paint the slats to even out their colour.

I noticed a crew on a scissor lift with a camera like device pointed directly at some of the slats. It looked like they were testing them. Is there a device that can measure accurate colour of a surface? Maybe I'll recognize it if I see it. Fingers crossed that they're planning to replace or paint the slats to even out their colour.

That would be amazing. It was always frustrating that such an ambitious project was marred by ugly cladding. I wanted to love it and take pride in it as a great contemporary landmark of the city. But it the cladding always gave me reservations about the addition.

I don’t think that was it. It was a bigger device on a tripod kind of like a surveying instrument but they were pointing it at the slats and then moving to another one. I talked to a friend who said they could have been measuring the three dimensional shape of the building to then order new cladding but I’m sure they know what the building looks like since they already had cladding made originally.

I don’t think that was it. It was a bigger device on a tripod kind of like a surveying instrument but they were pointing it at the slats and then moving to another one. I talked to a friend who said they could have been measuring the three dimensional shape of the building to then order new cladding but I’m sure they know what the building looks like since they already had cladding made originally.

Sounds like a laser scanner. Likely just capturing the building and area to help visualize what they are designing or just doing it because they can.

Am I nuts, or…

Have they managed to mix it up (ultimately unsuccessfully overall still), but at least a little more so that it looks a bit like an effect now, and not just poor quality control? I think the cladding is marginally better now: it's gone from a 1 outta 10 to a 2.

Back