Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Not sure if this is the right thread but I noticed they have removed the treadles from the Platform 25 escalator at Union.

They've been gone for days with no techs and only barricades. Any idea (Smallspy I am looking at you) if they are finally eliminating the last GO escalator at Union?

20190731_142348.jpg

Several wickets — at least one— have a space that looks expressly designed to hand over cases. It certainly seems a long time since they were used as intended... though there may be an intention to get the belt running again.
(BTW, I don’t presume to have 100% accuracy but I have spent many hours working in the Great Hall.)
You are right, my apologies! I went and looked carefully today and there are small spaces where cases can be passed under the counters at the VIA reservation wickets AND there is a conveyor-belt behind the ticket-sellers. It looks unused but they had customers so I could not ask them. I must say I am somewhat puzzled as I doubt that many VIA tickets are sold on the day @ these wickets and in any case most people buying them would, I assume, only have hand baggage. (The places to pass cases through would not be big enough for 'trunks' so I assume that they would need to be carried down to the luggage office off the VIA concourse - presumably where the belt ends?) Union is certainly filled with mysteries!!

You are right, my apologies! I went and looked carefully today and there are small spaces where cases can be passed under the counters at the VIA reservation wickets AND there is a conveyor-belt behind the ticket-sellers. It looks unused but they had customers so I could not ask them. I must say I am somewhat puzzled as I doubt that many VIA tickets are sold on the day @ these wickets and in any case most people buying them would, I assume, only have hand baggage. (The places to pass cases through would not be big enough for 'trunks' so I assume that they would need to be carried down to the luggage office off the VIA concourse - presumably where the belt ends?) Union is certainly filled with mysteries!!

The belt does in fact end at the baggage handling area in the departures area. If I recall, the wickets are also a check in area for the train which is why they have the conveyor belt. The thinking is you can check in there and drop your bags.

There are not many baggage trains with the exception of some of the corridor trains and the Canadian so it is rarely used. Unlike foreign countries, train travel isn't very prevalent so they don't rely on baggage as much as they used to.

Hey, just a reminder to self and anyone else listening. One way to appreciate the platform we are using [for free] is to occasionally click on interesting-looking ads. Anyhoo, back to our usual programming.

One of the slots along the row of VIA kiosks is so narrow it seems like an afterthought, or intended only for handing over garment bags or skinny briefcases. Weird.

From dusty memory - Green was Information, White was just a wayfinder for meeting place - meet you at the white globe thing.

- Paul
Does anyone remember where the green and white globes were? ( I’ve posed the question on Twitter too.)

Hmm, I wonder why it's missing the York teamway(s). That would make an unfortunately long walk if anyone were to use it to get from the Citgroup Place (or UP Pearson station) to PwC Tower.

Probably too messy on the map given the skywalk over York segment has a connection on only one side, and it's a pretty messy one to explain on the map. I'm not sure there is any target person that would need to look at this map to figure out that connection anyway.

They've got the full set - http://torontofinancialdistrict.com/new-path-map-2018/

Hmm, I wonder why it's missing the York teamway(s). That would make an unfortunately long walk if anyone were to use it to get from the Citgroup Place (or UP Pearson station) to PwC Tower.

Odd that it ignores Queens Quay station.

It also ignores the orphan PATH section from ICE to Infinity IV, (which is fully PATH branded when you use it)

It also ignores the orphan PATH section from ICE to Infinity IV, (which is fully PATH branded when you use it)
When did that open?

I've got a vague - and quite possibly false - recollection that there was PATH signage from College Park to that new Condo on the NW corner of Gerrard and Yonge as well too - but I haven't bothered to use it a second time, as it's so much slower than walking down Yonge Street.

When did that open?

I've got a vague - and quite possibly false - recollection that there was PATH signage from College Park to that new Condo on the NW corner of Gerrard and Yonge as well too - but I haven't bothered to use it a second time, as it's so much slower than walking down Yonge Street.

What we know as the path is a mish mash of corridors. There are a few isolated sections like Yonge and Gerrard and near Harbourfront.

The section you are referring to connects 777 Bay with Aura.

Back