News   Apr 15, 2024
 939     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 647     0 

North York City Centre (Yonge & Sheppard)

Is there a map of the PATH system at North York City Centre being developed?

Like Downtown Toronto PATH map,.... No. There's No project for that, thus, no funding!

For North York Centre, there's only funding for the StreetFinder (street level) map,.... but I noticed the StreetFinder map for downtown Toronto also shows the underground pedestrian PATH tunnels that connect adjacent buildings, thus I pushed for the North York Centre StreetFinder map to also show our underground pedestrian PATH tunnels. Basically, I sneaked it in! CityPlanning still treat North York Centre PATH system as something left over from a previous era with no official desire to expand it. Thus, North York Centre PATH system remains unconnected and clustered around the 3 Subway Stations of Finch, North York Centre & Sheppard. But by getting North York Centre PATH System onto the City's StreetFinder system, more people will know about it and hopefully utilize it,.... and with more pedestrian traffic, hopefully more expansion!

This is the North York Centre PATH system near Finch Station (non-fare area):

This is the North York Centre PATH system near North York Centre Station (non-fare area),... I'm hoping CityStaff reconsider and include GibsonSquare, Beacon & Ellie Condo (new NY Square - NorthYorkCentre's St.Lawrence market) since the North York Centre PATH goes through their P1 Commercial Parking Level which has public access!

This is the North York Centre PATH system north of Sheppard Station (non-fare area), doing some fine-tuning: As you can see from the previous maps I posted last month, CityStaff are obliging in some parts,... but there's some that they refuse like Menkes Ultima since you need condo pass to get into their P1 level (not open to public), adjacent 5000 Yonge (southwest corner of Yonge & NorthYork Blvd) they only show the pedestrian tunnel but not the commercial (public access) P1 level which leads to Ultima Condo!

This is the North York Centre PATH system south of Sheppard Station (non-fare area)

Once North York Centre PATH System is documented on the StreetFinder (street-level) map,.... the next challenge will be to get the StreetFinder map posted underground into the North York Centre PATH System so people will be encourage to explore! If I manage to sneak that in too (get funding for it),... I'll change my poster id from "SunnyRayToronto" to "SneakyRayToronto"

Last edited:
Saw staff putting up a "Sushi Legend coming soon" sign where Kogo Sushi used to be.
The signs have been removed and replaced with a sign for Ichiban All You Can Eat. Seems like there's lots of problems with restaurants opening in this mall. Shinta BBQ has been "coming soon" forever.

If this new Ichiban has the same quality as the original Ichiban that used to be here before Kogo Sushi,... I will definitely take the new Ichiban up on their "All You Can Eat" challenge!

So what's up with the Yonge Street project, any updates there ?

Oh wow I'm surprised ! That kinda sucks, what's going to replace it ?

Probably another mainland noodle place :rolleyes:
Empress Walk is slowly turning into an Asian mall

I’m placing my bet on another bubble tea place!

BTW, prior to Best Buy that location hosted FutureShop & SportChek. From Empress Walk opening about 20 years ago, the only remaining original tenants are Loblaws, Wendy’s, Second Cup, Sheffield & Sons (variety store). Started with Famous Players which merged with Cineplex which dumped this location since they had Cineplex at Sheppard Centre, Empire took over but when they went back west, Cineplex came back and dumped their Sheppard Centre location. Surprisingly RBC seems to be going into former Milestone location,.....already have RBC at nearby Hollywood & Yonge location and Hullmark Centre.

There's already a new bubble tea place (Real Fruit Bubble Tea) opening up near the main entrance

Wow, I forgot about the TenRen Tea along north exterior - an original tenant and likely first Taiwanese bubble tea in Willowdale North York 20 years ago,.... back then always driving to Scarborough, Markham & RichmondHill for bubble tea,.... now, every other block in North York Centre has bubble tea!

I’m placing my bet on another bubble tea place!

BTW, prior to Best Buy that location hosted FutureShop & SportChek. From Empress Walk opening about 20 years ago, the only remaining original tenants are Loblaws, Wendy’s, Second Cup, Sheffield & Sons (variety store). Started with Famous Players which merged with Cineplex which dumped this location since they had Cineplex at Sheppard Centre, Empire took over but when they went back west, Cineplex came back and dumped their Sheppard Centre location. Surprisingly RBC seems to be going into former Milestone location,.....already have RBC at nearby Hollywood & Yonge location and Hullmark Centre.
Wendy's not an original tenant, but I can't recall what was there before. Maybe it was severed from a larger unit. Did Tower Records have two floors?

Wendy's not an original tenant, but I can't recall what was there before. Maybe it was severed from a larger unit. Did Tower Records have two floors?

Tower Record then Fabricland now Dollarama is above the now Wendy's space,.... was Burger King ever there??? I remember a popular Burger King at NorthTown plaza with Dominion before it became Tridel NorthTown condo development which completed around 2002,... so that Burger King needed a new home around the time Empress Walk opened?

The earliest Empress Walk mall photo I can find is from Eastern Construction,..... showing Indigo, Tower Records near opening around 1998-99?,.... but the Wendy's space seems empty/under interior renovation,.... but if you zoom in - you see wooden door??? and white/blue logo on window????

Indigo...Tower Records. These were all long gone by the time I hit the scene. Aside from the Loblaws, this mall was always kind of slim pickings for interesting (or useful) retail.

Now that Best Buy is gone, the only place I'll ever visit in here is the LCBO.

The cinema is still there and a major draw.. other than the Loblaws and LCBO, yea, the rest of the retail ain't great.

Back