News   Mar 28, 2024
 523     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 338     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 348     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Looking at the "real" video. Trudeau looks lost for 10 seconds - completely out of his element. No idea how to act like a world leader.
Then he looks at Xi (China) and appears to plan on turning his back to him (Xi did not notice).
After Bolsonaro shakes hands with neighbour (who I still haven't identified*), he ignores Trudeau. Trudeau has to remind Bolsonaro that he's there.
After a brief handshake, Bolsonaro ignores Trudeau again and appears to continue pleasantries with his neighbour*.

Even in the video that appears to exonerate Trudeau - Trudeau still looks like the fool.

* EDIT: I believe it's Australian PM Scott Morrison based on some other photos of the event.

If this is the kind of stuff you have to focus on then Trudeau and the Liberals must be doing a pretty good job.

You're a Ford supporter for crying out loud - the gold standard for political foolishness.

Butts is back:

Liberals gamble that bringing Gerald Butts back for election campaign is worth reviving SNC-Lavalin scandal
Brian Platt
July 22, 2019

OTTAWA — Gerald Butts has returned to help re-elect the Liberals — but his reappearance has also ignited the flames of the SNC-Lavalin scandal.

“Gerald Butts is back, the Lav-scamsters are reunited, and nothing has changed,” said Conservative MP Pierre Poilievre at a news conference at Ottawa’s National Press Theatre Monday. “If Trudeau and Butts are returned to power, we will see more SNC-Lavalin scams. The modus operandi that we saw in this scandal will continue and it will worsen.”

For the Liberals, bringing back Butts — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s long-time friend, confidante, and indispensable adviser — for the election campaign is a gamble that his political skills are worth the cost of giving the opposition parties the gift of resurrecting the scandal.

It may also be a bet that the scandal no longer resonates as deeply with Canadian voters, or at least that voters won’t much notice if it’s revived in the dog days of summer but fades again by the time the campaign kicks off in September.
One party source said Butts has so far been working on a volunteer basis as a senior adviser, but did not rule out Butts taking on a paid role for the campaign itself. He would be paid in Liberal Party funds, not government money. (Poilievre used his press conference to point out that it has not been disclosed how much severance Butts was paid when he resigned his PMO job; Treasury Board policies suggest he would have qualified for at least six weeks pay, although the government has declined to confirm how much he actually received.)
Bosch said that despite the SNC-Lavalin baggage, Liberals will see Butts’ return as good news — and not just because of his campaign skills. Butts fills a unique role because of his decades of friendship with Trudeau, going back to their university days.

“He knows how to channel and amplify Trudeau’s strengths,” Bosch said. “As the saying goes, ‘Only a friend can tell you when your face is dirty.’ So he can be blunt with any criticism or correction that he thinks is necessary.”

Butts is back:

Liberals gamble that bringing Gerald Butts back for election campaign is worth reviving SNC-Lavalin scandal
Brian Platt
July 22, 2019

I really don't care that the party hires and pays for him for the election. I'm sure if they felt it would help, the CPC would hire French, Telford or even Harper if they thought it would help. My objection to all of them is the power and control these unelected and publicly unaccountable staffer wield over the elected legislators.
A recent (probably file) photo I saw of Butts and the table with Trudeau got me thinking. For part of my working life, I was the executive officer to a senior staff member, including running his staff. Unless I was invited to address a meeting on some topic, in no way would I sit 'at the table' - I would be one of those folks in chairs along the wall. I was not his peer; I worked for him, providing (hopefully) useful perspective and executed his direction. Even if the photo was from a party meeting, unless his position had some ex officio standing with the party, it was still, in my view, inappropriate.
The fact of these chiefs of staff, Butts, French, et al sit as apparent equals to their elected bosses is, to me, a huge problem that has encroached into our system. The PMO is not the executive, Cabinet is. Given the opportunity, any party will do it, no matter how much they howl about it when in opposition.

It's like each party is trying to one-up the other on headscratching moves.

With the SNC-Lavalin scandal fading into the background, bringing back Butts doesn't make much sense.

The new Canadian infrastructure Bank apparently runs a list of preferred and blacklisted reporters:

AAD-10-e1564083672660.jpg

A Crown agency compiled a blacklist of ‘negative reporters’ faulted for unflattering coverage of its work. Access To Information records show the Canada Infrastructure Bank listed journalists who criticized the corporation, and named others whose work was so positive the Bank should “reach out to them again”.

Cozyness with Irving:

Irving briefed top federal officials on plans to sue Postmedia after government shared reporter's questions
David Pugliese
July 26, 2019
Irving’s president briefed top federal officials on the company’s plans to sue Postmedia after the news organization asked questions about potential problems with the multi-billion dollar Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship program, according to newly released documents.
But documents obtained by Postmedia show Irving briefed Qualtrough’s top officials at Procurement Canada, including Deputy Minister Bill Matthews, as well as bureaucrats at the Department of National Defence, about the company’s legal strategy a little more than an hour after Irving’s lawyer threatened the news organization with a lawsuit.
The bureaucrats raised no objections to the company’s strategy and Matthews emailed McCoy to sympathize with his concerns about the news outlet.

In an email Wednesday to Postmedia, Procurement Canada said Matthews has “working relationships with shipyards, however does not provide them with business or legal advice.”

Coyne surprisingly puts the return of Butts well:
But as recent events have shown, the same ingredients that combined to produce the SNC-Lavalin scandal — hubris, a maniacal desire to run everything from the centre, and an unwillingness, in all this overweeningness and control-freakery, to be bound by basic legal and procedural norms — remain very much in place in the prime minister’s office.

Coyne just hates Trudeau with a passion. Same as Warren Kinsella.
I think anyone who follows what's happening in Ottawa hates Trudeau.

As for Coyne - his articles usually describe a number of cases where Trudeau is worse than Harper - and then concludes that he's similar to Harper. Coyne is so mad that Harper used (legal) Prorogation, that he equates it to all the corruption of Trudeau.

Last edited:
BUMP:

Singh, May and Trudeau marched together in the Vancouver Pride parade. I guess Scheer didn't get approval from his SoCon buddies.

I don't recall this being posted a few weeks back. I pointed roughly this same thing quite a while ago and was vilified.

Canada’s crime rate rose in 2018 but country still safer than a decade ago: StatCan

Interesting headline though. I might have gone with; "Crime Up again in 2018: Crime Severity Index hit generational low in Stephen Harpers last full year in power. It has gone up every year since under Justin Trudeau."

EDIT: add reference.

Last edited:
I don't recall this being posted a few weeks back. I pointed roughly this same thing quite a while ago and was vilified.

Canada’s crime rate rose in 2018 but country still safer than a decade ago: StatCan

Interesting headline though. I might have gone with; "Crime Up again in 2018: Crime Severity Index hit generational low after Stephen Harpers last full year in power. It has gone up every year since under Justin Trudeau."

View attachment 197667

By your attached graph, it has been steadily dropping since 1998, so back to Chretien. I'm sure criminologists have all sorts of views on what impacts crime rates, such as employment, the economy, etc. I tend to take the probably overly simplistic view that it is largely cyclic over the long term.

Back