• Start date
Batten Down the Hatches, It's Gonna Blow Friday

Westside Up

View attachment 195445

Westside Down

View attachment 195448

Eastside

View attachment 195449

Close up view of 'spider cranes' installing glass. They started at the service elevator on the west side earlier this morning and should have the south side complete before 4 pm

. View attachment 195450

An east side equipment installation on the Mechanical Level #3

View attachment 195451

On a personal note: I would like to thank the Academy for helping me pass the 3000 likes mark on this forum, ?
Spent a few more minutes working on perspective and aspect correction this week in honour of @Michael62 hitting 3K likes!
Untitled_Panorama1.jpg

I think LED strip lighting would work well too, similar to the IM Pei tower in Hong Kong.

The spotlights for CIBIC seem more elegant and subdued though, fits better in our skyline where the CN Tower gets all the attention.

At least as currently implemented, spotlights almost always feel more elegant and subdued than led strip, probably because there's more of a historical reference frame.

The other issue with LED lighting on buildings is that whoever ends up with the controls usually seems unable to resist the temptation to turn their building into a tacky flashing roller-disco every night. With the strips that can access "millions of colours", many building I saw in Hong Kong (and even more so in Da Nang), seemed committed to using all of them, as quickly as possible. The CN tower falls prey to the same thing, even though most of its lights aren't LED arrays.

At least as currently implemented, spotlights almost always feel more elegant and subdued than led strip, probably because there's more of a historical reference frame.

The other issue with LED lighting on buildings is that whoever ends up with the controls usually seems unable to resist the temptation to turn their building into a tacky flashing roller-disco every night. With the strips that can access "millions of colours", many building I saw in Hong Kong (and even more so in Da Nang), seemed committed to using all of them, as quickly as possible. The CN tower falls prey to the same thing, even though most of it's lights aren't LED arrays.

I think the problem with LED strips is that they're simultaneously too strong, and yet they also don't illuminate much of the rest of the building.

I find that wash lighting is much better as it brings forms into the night, but with the recent predominance of flat-roofed, all-glass buildings, there's often not many appropriate spaces to put them.

There's absolutely nothing better for a skyline than this:
363898-Large-fullheightview-wells-fargo-proudly-rules-the-night.jpg

Or this:

Sort of makes me wish Brookfield Place was illuminated the same way!

Last edited:
I think the problem with LED strips is that they're simultaneously too strong, and yet they also don't illuminate much of the rest of the building.

I find that wash lighting is much better as it brings forms into the night, but with the recent predominance of flat-roofed, all-glass buildings, there's often not many appropriate spaces to put them.

There's absolutely nothing better for a skyline than this:
363898-Large-fullheightview-wells-fargo-proudly-rules-the-night.jpg

Or this:

Sort of makes me wish Brookfield Place was illuminated the same way!

You’ve made me want something I didn’t even know I wanted. Brookfield Place would be perfect for that.

Are the lights on CIBC Square going to be animated in any way?

This project is so fantastic. The glass/lighting will be a spectacular addition to the skyline. My only disappointment is how both 1 and 2 will finish at the top, with flat, boring roofs. A little architectural 'flare' or thought to design would have been appropriate. Both buildings would have been worthy of a splash of a creative finish, given the prominence of this development.

This project is so fantastic. The glass/lighting will be a spectacular addition to the skyline. My only disappointment is how both 1 and 2 will finish at the top, with flat, boring roofs. A little architectural 'flare' or thought to design would have been appropriate. Both buildings would have been worthy of a splash of a creative finish, given the prominence of this development.
Hmm? These are getting beyond-the-ordinary crowns on them.

Back