Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

Maybe Rogers can just take the Jays to Montreal for a couple of seasons, while Skydome is demo'ed and replaced :)

The rationale for rotating the field clockwise is to create a new outfield entrance and fan area. Gates 5 - 6, which are currently entrance ways to 1st base, would become the new outfield area as would the existing square in front of the CN Tower. I would imagine that new outfield area would be far more open with views of not just the tower but downtown as well. Any potential new rail deck park would integrate with a new fan space and entrance to the stadium on the left field side where the Jumbotron currently is. Field rotation would also allow for full reconstruction of the lower bowl seating arrangement which is badly needed.

I think Black Beetle had a good point about the CN Tower, though, looming large over the field. Would this be the view from behind home plate if the field were rotated?

Last edited by a moderator:
I first raised the suggestion of tearing down Rogers Centre a few weeks ago when Oxford released its renderings for Union Centre and I noted on that Union Centre thread their 'rail deck' park concept would actually face an imposing north wall of Rogers Centre and not be bathed in sunlight as rendering suggested. I encourage everyone to read Marcus Gee's column in today's (Saturday, July 13) Globe & Mail. We've got amazingly smart people in our city. I think it's time we seriously begin this conversation.

The view from Billy Bishop would be preferable, in my opinion.
View attachment 194512

Yes, I've thought that too. If only so we could have our own PNC Park. I've brought up PNC several times before, but it's such a great location for that stadium and makes for a spectacular backdrop.

84a8c5c7-bc73-4fc1-a7c7-79ec35e375b7_332a3f30441dc8600e93bc97af625206.jpg

With southcore filling in the only reason to justify building a new stadium would be to unlock the land value sitting under the stadium. So if they don’t own said land that reason is gone.

Factor in the location, and you'd have to pay Rogers an exorbitant amount to break their lease.

I will admit some bias here - for me the Rogers Centre is the last product of an era when Toronto had big dreams and was bold enough to implement them (as far as infrastructure is concerned).

The experience when the roof is closed isn't great - but I've never had a problem with it when the roof's open on a sunny day. This is especially true when the stadium's full.

From a practical perspective, the location and renovation options seem to eliminate everything else as a possibility.

No rain-outs and other weather issues has dramatically improved the "quality of life" for ticket-holders (and families) over the years... they can plan to see a game and see a game. I don't need a skyline view, as I'm focused on the playing field.

I'd put my money (if I had any) into looking at translucent roof skin technologies and low light natural grass technologies. Reconfiguring seating also on the list. But that roof has been very important (and copied conceptually in various forms around the world).

P.S. "SkyDome" replaced by a new location/stadium would obviously be a gut-punch to local businesses that it helped seed.

Could there be an option to replace portions of the existing dome cladding with a translucent plastic material? It's done in some other stadiums, and even having some ambient natural lighting makes for a dramatic difference in the atmosphere.

Maybe they could try this with the southern and northern dome hemispheres?

9bcf19e4-6b28-495d-a8cc-e469bcfb2804.jpg

Last edited:
I'm fine with it being altered if it means the interior (which most fans are going to be looking up at anyway) no longer looks like you're in a warehouse when closed.

Some lobbying:

Interesting- wonder what a Brookfield involvement might entail.

I can see them relocating the Rogers Centre to the Portlands rather than renovating

It sounds like they are planning to redevelop the site which makes sense given the available land near by and the relative condition of the stadium.

It would be ideal to have a single purpose stadium built for baseball rather than the mixed use stadium we have now.

I get that multi-use is the best bang for the buck but realistically how often is the stadium used for much more than baseball these days? Most concerts and shows are held at Scotiabank now.

They may not be demolishing, simply developing some underutilized parts of the site. Their parcel on the south side of Bremner is prime land, as is the east / west plaza (though I'm not entirely sure Rogers owns the west plaza).

Back