News   Apr 22, 2024
 290     0 

Vaughan Centre Bus Terminal

Yesterday:

20181222_130829 (1).jpg

20181222_130927.jpg
20181222_131035.jpg

This is being delayed to 2019: http://www.vivanext.com/project_TerminalVaughan

October 2018 update: Due to unforeseen circumstances, construction work is currently on hold. Discussions are proceeding to complete the project within requirements. As a result, we anticipate construction to now be completed in 2019.

Bondfield strikes again?

Bondfield is actually BANKRUPT. Theres an arena near my house that theyre doing and all work has stopped there as well. What I suspect is that the administrators are trying to sort out all outstanding work and my guess is that
they will sell off all the current projects to other contractors. So dont expect this terminal to open any time soon

https://ontarioconstructionreport.c...t-to-defamation-trial-against-globe-and-mail/

Bondfield is actually BANKRUPT. Theres an arena near my house that theyre doing and all work has stopped there as well. What I suspect is that the administrators are trying to sort out all outstanding work and my guess is that
they will sell off all the current projects to other contractors. So dont expect this terminal to open any time soon

https://ontarioconstructionreport.c...t-to-defamation-trial-against-globe-and-mail/
Or Union Station or The St Mikes Hospital Expansion.

It's a real shame that all these important infrastructure projects are held hostage like this. In the case of Union, it's the second time for that project that the contractor has gone under.

It looked like there were a few construction workers milling about the site this morning. It didn't look like any real work was being done though, maybe they were just in checking in on the status of the site.

It looked like there were a few construction workers milling about the site this morning. It didn't look like any real work was being done though, maybe they were just in checking in on the status of the site.
My understanding is that this is still moving, just not quickly. It's not standing still anymore though.

So there has been absolutely zero coverage of this now considerable delay in local media? Isn’t it at least newsworthy that a piece of infrastructure with a high degree of private sector involvement still has not opened, 18 months after its adjoining subway line began service?

Blame bondfield for going bankrupt midway through. I bet they are still trying to find replacement contractors to finish the job
Depending on what work has to be done and the Bonding company, the Bonding company will decide how and when the work will be completed. Since its most likely the same bonding company for other projects, there are various stages they have to go through before hiring someone to finish the work or tender it. Since this is way down the list of projects to deal with, the bonding company most likely it has the least to loose by pushing the project down the road.

Seeing the site over a year ago while showing someone around and riding the extension, there wasn't that much work to be done outside stopping the opening of the terminal by the summer, but no idea what still had to be done inside at the time.

Could be more work was needed to finished the inside and the trades weren't willing to do until they were paid and wanted more money to do it than the contract call for. Once a mechanical Lien is put on the property for non payment, the contract is broken by the builder who hire them in the first place. That trade can finish the project upon payment, depend on the time frame between placing the lien and payment or request extra funds to cover legal cost, delay cost as well increase cost for material and labour. Its up to the owner and the bonding company to say yes or no to extra cost depending on what being asked for. If the parties feel the cost are out of line, they will go elsewhere.

End of the day, there are legal steps that have to be follow and they take time. Since Bondfield had a lot of projects as open tender to P3, lots of legal issues to be dealt with before work is allow to proceed. Once they are clear on what is to be done and when, work will take place. Where things stands today, it will be open this year in Sept, sooner than then or later will depend on YRT and the Region.

Yesterday night.
img_20191011_204208-jpg.208903

Attachments

• IMG_20191011_204020.jpg
    IMG_20191011_204020.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_20191011_204208.jpg
    IMG_20191011_204208.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_20191011_204208.jpg
    IMG_20191011_204208.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 700
Ridership inside appears weak... it’s still closed.
The curbside, unprotected stop for the 20 and 26 was pretty busy though, as young people were headed to Vaughan Mills and Wonderland yesterday evening.
I happened to go up for a look, and now understand that the tardy terminal is to open in November...
Nothing confirmed here, however: http://www.vivanext.com/project_TerminalVaughan

Back