News   Apr 23, 2024
 218     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 968     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 299     0 

GO Transit Electrification | Metrolinx

The trains are proven as they are standard Coradia EMU trains, it's just the power source is different. Alstom are contracted out to run the trains/maintenance.

The trains are proven as they are standard Coradia EMU trains, it's just the power source is different. Alstom are contracted out to run the trains/maintenance.
source that the Coradia EMUs are certified or will be certified to run in Canada?

Announcement today, likely GO related:

My bet is Off-corridor (Package 2) station enhancements.

There are only 2 Exhibition related tenders that IO is involved with, and I still believe Ford would announce the $8B+ On-Corridor results himself (probably at Union Station).

Scroll to bottom to tenders involving IO:
APP-2020-Final-External-Updated-May-21-2019.xlsx

Edit: Sometimes I wish Canada had UK style bookies so I could place an actual bet on this type of thing.

Last edited:
What is included in the station enhancements?

Excellent question. We've been told that much of the original off-corridor (package 2) hasn't survived so I really don't know. I would assume at a minimum everything required to accommodate future track additions would survive (platform shifts, new pedestrian tunnels, etc.).

The original proposal was basically bringing all existing stations up to the same level as the newest and recently renovated stations. Adjusting platform height to get closer to a level boarding, snow melt systems, shelter from weather for the entire platform length, etc. Bloomington GO station is a good proxy for changes that would be applied to most older stations.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 1559249745496.png
    1559249745496.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 342
Reactions: rbt
As ha been pointed out in other threads, it's a bit worrying that the word "electrification" has been removed from the latest press releases - but was there in the older ones. It's possible that this is entirely diesel.

it's up to the proponents to choose the technology, (Electrified, hydrogen or others) , it wont be diesel

Cancelling this now would be WAY worse than a scandal like the gas plants. The PCs may be jerks, but I seriously don't think they're aiming to do that.
The gas plants were unused, and knocked down. They are still months to years before awarding most of these projects. And the stuff still exists once it's built ... it will get used sooner or later.

And whose to say it's the PCs? The worst offender for cutting GO Transit services and expansion were the NDP. Or perhaps a future PC leader will cancel what this one is doing ... which is exactly what PC Premier MIller did when he came in, quickly cancelling the very frequent subway-like electrified service on Lakeshore line that they were working on under Premier Davis. Sure, the infrastructure eventually got used for the dedicated GO tracks from Pickering to Oshawa, but all the electrification contracts were a waste ... and I don't recall much uproar about that.

Frankly it's not possible and everyone here knows it, you aren't going to be able to operate diesel trains at a reasonable cost with 5 min headway.
Whose to say it will be 5-minute headways still.

I think you are wrong - and not everyone here knows that it can only be electrified. You are pre-assuming what kind of service that GO is tendering to operate ... which might fall back to the much simpler RER proposals the Liberals originally had, which didn't assume electrification was occurring.

it's up to the proponents to choose the technology, (Electrified, hydrogen or others) , it wont be diesel
Do you have a reference or source for that?

Back