Toronto Park Hyatt Renovation | 62.48m | 18s | Oxford Properties | KPMB

The Park Hyatt, not there yet in 1930:

The Park Hyatt showed up, post road widening (photo from 1936/37ish?):

And today, mid-renovation:

Looking at the north face of the new elevator core here, I'm interested to see how they finish it; it's not an easy design task to make it look not-terrible and tacked-on to a fairly attractive older structure.

Haven't had a chance to check the plans, but from this rendering in the database, it looks to me like they're envisioning some kind of combination of stone-and-metal combination (?), which could be nice:

Whenever you have an elevator core on the exterior of a building, which is pretty seldom, I wonder why there aren't windows with glass elevators running behind them. Besides the CN Tower of course, we have one of those at the Westin Harbour Castle, and two of those at the Toronto Hilton, and that's it, right? We'll be getting them at The Well office tower, I believe, and for sure at the Union Square tower if that's approved as planned. In this case I can understand not doing that for the residential elevators, but I would have thought that panoramic elevators would have made for a more fun ride up to the big-deal scenic rooftop bar. Too bad that's not happening here.

Back