News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.4K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 690     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 942     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

same vendor I think. They seem more reliable! There was some discussion further up the thread about those machines somewhere between 2010 and 2014.

I just saw this machine - two in brand new streetcar 4531. At first glance they look like the old machine, but if you look closely they don't have the Green Presto transfer tap thing. And they start with a 5350 ID number and not a 5300 ID that you usually see.

Perhaps these are the "new" machines?

I saw 2 broken 5300 machines today! And that was the only two other Flexitys I rode today! Perhaps they don't like the this week's higher TTC fares!

View attachment 180057

Those are definitely different. But what’s up with the PIN pad if there’s no debit card slot?

It really is disappointing that they’re going all in with no debit. Are the TTC people making these decisions even from Toronto? We’re heavily into electronic payments in this city. For god’s sake, my usual ice cream truck accepts tap payments.

Last edited:
same vendor I think. They seem more reliable! There was some discussion further up the thread about those machines somewhere between 2010 and 2014.

I just saw this machine - two in brand new streetcar 4531. At first glance they look like the old machine, but if you look closely they don't have the Green Presto transfer tap thing. And they start with a 5350 ID number and not a 5300 ID that you usually see.

Perhaps these are the "new" machines?

I saw 2 broken 5300 machines today! And that was the only two other Flexitys I rode today! Perhaps they don't like the this week's higher TTC fares!

View attachment 180057
I don't get why they didn't go with the glorified parking meter, this machine is probably a lot more expensive with almost the same features.

Those are definitely different. But what’s up with the PIN pad off there’s no debit card slot?

It really is disappointing that they’re going all in with no debit. Are the TTC people making these decisions even from Toronto? We’re heavily into electronic payments in this city. For god’s sake, my usual ice cream truck accepts rap payments.
They did say that you could tap your credit card onto the normal green readers soon once they get their act together in terms of implementing open payments.

I don't get why they didn't go with the glorified parking meter, this machine is probably a lot more expensive with almost the same features.

I suspect these bigger machines can write to RFID paper tickets. Actually, I don’t suspect: they have to! Unless the TTC plans to install a fourth new ticket machine when RFID PRESTO tickers replace transfers later this year.

Last edited:
The day pass ticket is useful for 1 person because, keep in mind, cash fare riders are not eligible for the 2 hour transfer, they are subject to the old rules of a single continuous net-one-way trip with no stopovers. A presto rider would have to take distinct rides in each 2 hour period for 10 hours of the day, a cash rider could easily hit 5 fares in 3 hours or so, realistically.

Weekly rate capping is delayed probably because the TTC can never get anything working right with Presto quickly. And yes, it is mutually exclusive with daily rate capping, apparently Presto can only handle one "loyalty program" per transit agency, in the TTC's case, they decided to go with weekly, since daily is largely superfluous with the 2-hour transfer (I agree with them on this).
From what's said in the report, the Presto tickets will give them the same 2-hours transfer benefit as presto card users, aside from higher fare.

waste of money to produce and manage and in the age of smart cards and cashless payment does not fit with the times.
I understand people's nostalgic nuances but it simply needs to go if we are to remain a relevant and competitive system.

Explain the many people who still pay with cash at stores. Explain.

Got my first ever paper presto ticket, they cannot be reused :'( or even loaded with stored value for use on non TTC systems :'(

They’re not meant to be used as cards like the PRESTOCard. They’re meant to be used as tickets and transfers like the ones we have now but capable of entering Presto gates.

...and tourists, visitors, and the once-in-a-year-or-two user.
why do people in this city seem to thinjk that torists won't want to get a frae card orr know about them. Many places in the world alrdy us fare cards and many people that go to them as tourist get them when they go there. For example if i was going to Lopndonm I would pick up an oster card iusnted of butying ticklets every time I wanted to use the tube ort a bus, if i go to new south wales australia I'll pick up an opal card.

I agree. If the TTC was fine with those store selling Metropasss and tokens, why not Presto?
It sounds like the paper cards needs to be activated and added to the system before they could be successfully tapped. Hence the 90 days expiry time. Stores would need a machine and software to physically activate the card and load it onto the system. I can see this happening with any smart card system to prevent fraud. Otherwise people would just clone those presto cards and sell on the black market.

Back