News   Mar 28, 2024
 533     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 410     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 751     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

4536 is out testing along with 4533. It westbound on Queen near Jarvis, 4533 is doing Humber and Long Branch testing.

Welland, Ontario.

Aside from deliveries, could those knowledgeable on the matter elaborate on where they’re being put into service? Are more cars being added to King Street? The King pilot has become a victim of its own success. With ridership growing 17%, they need to add at least 17% more capacity to keep up with demand.

Where have the other Flexity’s been going?

Aside from deliveries, could those knowledgeable on the matter elaborate on where they’re being put into service? Are more cars being added to King Street? The King pilot has become a victim of its own success. With ridership growing 17%, they need to add at least 17% more capacity to keep up with demand.

Where have the other Flexity’s been going?
The next line to be all Flexity will be 501 follow by 506. More cars are been added to 501 & 501L this month.

Cars entering service for the first time show up on all routes Flexity are on now.

Without reducing the spare ratio, TTC is heading for major overcrowding like I have been saying since 2005 by not doing a 1:1 then. Then spare ratio was to be only 10% for the first 10 years of service, but its close to 20% these days. Then we got 8 cars out of service 6-12 months now. Once those cars are back, there will be a least 4 cars out of service for about 6 months at any given time, until all 67 cars have their weld redone.

King has shown what a lot of us knew a decade ago, that ridership will increase with quality of service and being accessibly to everyone.

Sooner a tender goes out for those 100 extra cars, sooner there will be more service to meet the pent-up demand out there. Where TTC will house them is another story.

Expect buses to seen on Flexity routes for the next 5+ year to meet ridership demand.

TTC has a back log of cars that need work on because of BBD poor engineering/design. Expect to see a few ALRV's out as well more CLRV's to deal with the Flexity issues.

BBD was supposed to be at 35,000 km fail ratio by the time the 60th car show up, yet still can't get pass 20,000 km after 125 cars in service. It was less than 14,000 km for this month TTC report.

4532 been in one service bay in the same location for a week and been here 16 days so far.

With 4540 in transit, still leaves 63 more cars to be ship. At the current rate, last car should show in in early Q2 of 2020 and in service in Q2

Last edited:
Further up the thread last night someone mentioned it had already arrived.

Did I miss 4573?

4573 was in service on King Street earlier today. Was a bit surprised to see it - but there it was, around noon, heading west, between Portland and Bathurst Streets.

4573 was in service on King Street earlier today. Was a bit surprised to see it - but there it was, around noon, heading west, between Portland and Bathurst Streets.
Ah I see. I thought it was 4571 and 4572 that had previously come from Kingston. But it's 4572 and 4573. So was the earlier info that 4571 (and 4570) were being built in Kingston incorrect?

Then maybe we shouldn’t be ordering the next 100 units from BBD?
Or are was the goal too high? When they drill down, most of the failures seem relatively minor, for door issues, rather than vehicles breaking down in the middle of a run. The only time I've had to bail out of one of the new streetcars was for an accident ahead - unlike the CLRVs which simply stopped moving from time to time!

And I've seen many traffic jams caused by broken-down CLRVs - the Flexity ones I've seen have been because of traffic accidents.

What are they reporting in Waterloo and Ottawa for mileage between failures on their new vehicles? Both now seem to be running a relatively regular schedule in testing, so they should be starting to generate some data.

Further up the thread last night someone mentioned it had already arrived.

Did I miss 4573?
Arrived February 19, 2019 and Enter Service March 10, 2019

Back